Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Christine- John Carpenter. best on BD or DVD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Christine- John Carpenter. best on BD or DVD? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
want to grab a copy of this, and i remember some of the BD's aren't that great. So what's the verdict on this really old stuff, still better on BD or "more accurate/faithful to original " on DVD ?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a DVD being "more faithful" than Blu-ray. A DVD release will usually be much older and may actually have a poorer transfer. Even if the Blu-ray uses the same scan for the HD source it will at least be in 1080p instead of 480i. There's an off-chance that they may completely botched the 1080p transfer but that's really rare.

Given that the Blu-ray's actually cheaper, seems like a no-brainer!: https://www.amazon.com/Christine-Blu-ray-Keith-Gordon/dp/B0123TA8XO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=0e7ff09199d42551d7586079bb88a2c9&language=en_US

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also might want to consider different region releases too. Sergio Leone's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a well documented example where the Italian release is a much better version with optimal color and sharpness.
wanderer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question because if you are looking for that "more faithful" version with original color timing, etc, you'd definitely want to research this using something like caps-a-holic to compare different releases. I can see a few Christine versions there from different BD releases, but nothing DVD to compare to. If you have the DVD, you can probably compare your own image scenes to the ones sampled to work it out and see if it's similar: https://caps-a-holic.com

Blu-ray authoring can vary wildly between regional releases and which company did the encoding.
Lord of the Rings BD: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=605&y=360&d1=5240&d2=5241&s1=48921&s2=48953&l=0&i=9&go=1
Flash Gordon BD: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=499&y=147&d1=2161&d2=2118&s1=20045&s2=19681&l=0&i=2&go=1
The Matrix BD: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=386&y=337&d1=11852&d2=11855&s1=116844&s2=116887&l=0&i=10&go=1
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. Not to worried about getting the absolute best version, just a decent one. I remember there were some BD's early on that were really terrible, but that's probably long past by now.
just something i want to watch with my kids

kal wrote:
I've never heard of a DVD being "more faithful" than Blu-ray. A DVD release will usually be much older and may actually have a poorer transfer. Even if the Blu-ray uses the same scan for the HD source it will at least be in 1080p instead of 480i.
Kal
Kal I'm shocked, DVD is a whopping 480P ! Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Kal I'm shocked, DVD is a whopping 480P ! Wink

I don't think so. My understanding is that the standard is 480i but that 480p can be stored too, but is somewhat nonstandard, as DVD was based around interlaced as part of the spec.
Good thread on it: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/18-dvd-players-standard-def/1014795-dvds-480p-480i.html

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD is 480i native and all 480P was just scaling done by the payer! Wow, i had no idea. Surprised

I remember buying my very first DVD player, a Toshiba that output 480i over component, $450. in late 1990's dollars.

The next year they came out with progressive scan, makes sense now looking back that it was the player that changed, not the discs. Confused
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. When the DVD Video spec was in works and finally ratified in 1996, interlaced displays were still very common and what most people used so it focused on that.

Kal

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw this, what an awesome movie. Took me right back to 1982-86 High school, even my kids loved it
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: