Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT horror story

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: CRT horror story Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Have a nightmare story for you all, involving a Sony G90.

Have a local customer that I sold a G90 to, and it came up with a CRT overcurrent error message a couple of months ago. I've been slammed with work, he's been out of town, so I hadn't gotten to it yet, and warned him that it could be a couple of months before I get to him, as I am in and out of town a ton right now.

So I get a call from a mostly retired CRT calibrator today that is local, and well respected. Hadn't talked to him in a few years, but he still does CRT calibration occasionally.

Turns out the client bought a new G90 in the box, from FH Video (or is it FV Video, I can't remember) in San Francisco. You might remember that these are the guys that bought all the new remaining Sony G90 stock about 15 years ago, and started selling them for $18K USD. Now they are down to about $8K, not sure if that's USD or CDN $.

So he buys one, and gets the calibrator in yesterday to start tweaking the projector. He puts in a new Dallas chip first, as I'd recommended as well. CRT gets converged and aligned yesterday, calibrator guy is back today for final color balancing, when the set throws an 88 error message, which is a CPU board failure. If the set is on when whatever fails, it spot burns the tubes.

Well, the 88 failure nuked at least one tube, if not all three. Told the calibrator to tell the client to get a hold of the seller, but it may be sold as is at this point. Sucks!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always dubious about those NIB G90's from FH Video. Its a LOT of money to put into 20 year old electronics. Things dry out. When I inquired about them many many years ago back when I had YA board failure, knowing they could have the dodgy IC421, I was told FH would fix or refund or replace as they were being offered with full warranty.
This situation which really sucks for the new owner and is just another reason to tread carefully. I'm curious what the sales contract says and if warranty was included. Such bad luck the set was on. Hopefully FHV do the right thing. Craig could have fixed the problem on the YA as he did for me a few months ago.
Curt, keep us informed of developments. Fingers crossed not all the tubes were nuked and at least the green is salvageable. Greg E I think has a source of new P19LUG tubes.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I talked to Greg, he was having issues with the new tubes, so he stopped bringing them in. I've got enough tubes here to service and sell the 909s here for a number of years, and I think Tim has E'home tubes.

I got leery of the G90s once I sold a couple of sets with green tubes imploding for no reason. Ditto for SMT parts failing on the Ya and RGB boards. I have my one test chassis left, plus a bunch of parts, but I wish the customer would have told me of his intentions. If FH video doesn't give him any warranty, he's out the $8K, plus whatever the calibrator charged him. Heck, he could have gotten a 909 from me for 1/4 of that price!
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could predict 88 error right off the bat. Took my G90 almost 3500 hours before the issue manifested.

Anyone getting into CRT these days really needs to think carefully and plan accordingly ie buy a pj with some post sale support and knowhow. $8K is just too much of a punt. The YA is susceptible to several issues, but is mostly fixable assuming its not IC421. Luckily Craig still offers board level repairs.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Client pulled the YA board out of my set, and swapped over the perfectly set Dallas chip from the alignment, and that worked. Not before the tubes got nuked though.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 is def YA board related. Not surprised your's worked in his G90. Hopefully he paid FHV with credit card. He could have buyers protection, even if the seller sold the pj as is.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no Sad

That is why i prefer Barco.

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the controller boards in the 909 aren't much better! Luckily I have a ton of spares.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they will get things sorted, but wow... what a nightmare.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: