Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Radiance Mini and 72hz abilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Radiance Mini and 72hz abilities Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Next week i will recieve a radiance mini. A relatively simple question but i can't find an answer to it Sad

Can it do

800P72
817P72
1080i72
1080i96

I found a thread where someone get a + upgrade for a mini so he could do 1080i72, i assumed i could do 1080i72 without any issues (since 1080i72 equals 1080p36 bandwith which is way below 1080p60)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember right, the bandwidth needet in the Radiance is the same no matter if its I or P as i understood they process it all the way in progresive, and make it interlaced for the output only.

I have been working on finding something capable og making 1920 x 1080P 96 hz to test that on the new MP mods, and found that HDfury have the ability to tripple and quadruple frames in the new HDfure 4S, but its limited to around 240Mhz if i remember right, so im waiting for the HDfury5.

Im quite sure you will be able to use a standard mini outputting 1080I 24hz, and make the frame tripling or quadrupling in the new HDfury 4S.. Not sure about how well the HDfury works, or if there is any isues that make it a no go.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have a 3DFury which does double triple and even quad. Quad only works with a special scaler firmware which changes timings.

1 Limitation in the 3Dfury is that it only doubles triples 1080p24 and nothing else. Except with the scaler firmware but then there is no clean multiplying which does not sound like a good idea.

I will probably go Radiance - 1080p24 - 3DFury - 1080p72 - Marquee. Probably the last part analog although i could do 1080p72 hdmi to an intern moome Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so you have the gear to make it happen.

My Marquee is standard now, and that is not cool with 72hz, i never crop, i dont like the 817P cropping stuff, i prefer to keep the 16:9 format, it workes more smooth with the geometry on the Marquee.

1080I wont work for me its to rough, scanlines.

So for now with a standard Marquee i just stick to 1080P 60hz find that to be the best compromise.

No idea how the 3D fury analog out looks, but i know the last Moome have a decent analog bandwidth. And if not MP have a few tricks to step it up.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a marquee 8500 ultra on monday, i will place my mint 8inch tubes in it untill i find the funds to get 9 inch tubes.

Will get the MP mods and use the 8500 Ultra like this for a while. Even with my low res 8 inch tubes + HD144s 1080p72 should be looking good!

Too bad a radiance can not do 1080i72, it is something the previous generation could.

Also mailed Lumagen to inform about unlocking 72hz on the mini, they have upgraded 1 in the past, mine might be the second mini + in the world Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure the 8" tubes wont leave much to desire from the 9" tubes regarding resolution, so go for it..

Ill recomend you to do the 16:9 masking and cross tube stray light blocking, it kickes ansi contrast in the ass, getting it much much better.

As long you run standard Marquee ill recommend you to stick with 60hz, it will look sharper and leave a better dynamic range in the picture, and able to resolve 1:1 better.

If 72hz you will need to run 817P to keep that low bandwidth, to keep the same sharpness and resolving power.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the tubemasking and it did make a difference!

Will not have a stock Marquee for long so 1080p72 here i come Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill recommend you evaluate the performance of each neckboard, and put the worse one on the blue tube, untill you get some in a better trim.

That can make quite a difference + the ground strap on the Convergence board.

What VIM board will you run.?
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing a trade in with Mike, sending him my original boards. Since it is a 2000 ultra i will probably have a 02 VIM and i assume that is what he will send me back.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fragzero wrote:
I am doing a trade in with Mike, sending him my original boards. Since it is a 2000 ultra i will probably have a 02 VIM and i assume that is what he will send me back.

That will be a nice setup. Make him do your Moome card to. Wink
napos

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try 1080p@48Hz. The Radiance will have no problem doing that. I have never seen any flicker at 48Hz on an 8500 or a 9500. It will also do 817p@72Hz, but you will have to set up the Marquee for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so vertical size will be probably set to 0. I also sent you a PM regarding the HDP you are selling.

Nicholas

TV/Projector: BD808s, BG1209/2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Ill recomend you to do the 16:9 masking and cross tube stray light blocking, it kickes ansi contrast in the ass, getting it much much better.

What's this?

fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something only AC tubes benefit from.

I such a setup there are more reflections between the tube and lens which causes halo's and reduces ANSI contrast. This can be improved by masking unused parts of the tube face ( = less surface to reflect = less halo's and improved contrast).
AVphile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: mini+ Reply with quote

fragzero wrote:

Too bad a radiance can not do 1080i72, it is something the previous generation could.

Also mailed Lumagen to inform about unlocking 72hz on the mini, they have upgraded 1 in the past, mine might be the second mini + in the world Smile

Mine must have been the first then! I went through this in 2013 with Jim after buying a mini (since I was misinformed by the forum) and ended up having to pay extra to unlock the "+ upgrade" in order to do 72 Hz, interlaced or non.

So with quite a bit invested in the mini+, I am now toying with the idea of selling it (at a huge loss, no doubt) since I'm not using it anymore.

View user's photo album (2 photos)
Jeanie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent need to accomplish something like this with mine
November_SSN

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Lumagen Radiance, does anyone know of a reliable shop that stocks it in Southern Europe? Or anywhere in the EU, that would do the trick as well.
The thing is that I'm planning to buy one of these houses in Greece and set up my first home cinema system there, and I'd like to avoid ordering from Asia or America due to shipping costs, risks and delays.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November_SSN wrote:
Speaking of the Lumagen Radiance, does anyone know of a reliable shop that stocks it in Southern Europe? Or anywhere in the EU, that would do the trick as well.
The thing is that I'm planning to buy one of these and set up my first home cinema system there, and I'd like to avoid ordering from Asia or America due to shipping costs, risks and delays.

I've removed your link to houses for sale in Greece as this is a typical spammer approach to backlink. Where are you located?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
November_SSN

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was lightning fast, I'm impressed, and sorry for the link! But to come back to the topic, I'm located in Russia right now, and will be later on located in Greece.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in Radiance units, including used/open box units, you can email me at kal@curtpalme.com as we have many models available. Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Lumagen Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: