Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A projector for under $100 !?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: A projector for under $100 !? Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Stumbled across a review for the TopVision T21 projector for $99.99:
https://qwertyarticles.com/2018/12/26/home-cinema-experience-topvision-t21-mini-projector-review/

Clearly the guy is not a serious HT guy, he's basically reviewing at the "gee look it project pictures" level.

It looks like it's identical to the DBPower T21, which has been out for over a year, and is currently available for $65:
https://www.zdnet.com/product/dbpower-t21-led-projector/

I can't find a serious review of it, but it looks like it's basically a cheap projector, no surprise. I don't think this is gonna give the JVC RS4500 a run for its money, but it probably has its uses.

Jeremy, do you need some more projectors for next Halloween??
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A projector for under $100 !? Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Clearly the guy is not a serious HT guy, he's basically reviewing at the "gee look it project pictures" level.

That's the understatement of the year. Wink That TopVision T21 projector has a 800x480 native resolution but looks as good as 1080p! To quote his "review":

"I have about an 80-inch display on my bedroom wall with a movie running at 1080p Blu-ray quality. To my happiness, the image of the movie looks stunning and just like a movie theater."

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25438
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A projector for under $100 !? Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Stumbled across a review for the TopVision T21 projector for $99.99:
https://qwertyarticles.com/2018/12/26/home-cinema-experience-topvision-t21-mini-projector-review/

Clearly the guy is not a serious HT guy, he's basically reviewing at the "gee look it project pictures" level.

It looks like it's identical to the DBPower T21, which has been out for over a year, and is currently available for $65:
https://www.zdnet.com/product/dbpower-t21-led-projector/

I can't find a serious review of it, but it looks like it's basically a cheap projector, no surprise. I don't think this is gonna give the JVC RS4500 a run for its money, but it probably has its uses.

Jeremy, do you need some more projectors for next Halloween??


Nope I'm good. I collected a boat load of JVC's from 1999-2005 vintage.

Have a look here. That projector looks familiar. https://atmosfx.com/collections/projectors

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 23682
Location: Langley, BC

TV/Projector: All of them!


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Tire was selling an RCA projector for $39.95, or $99.95 with a screen this holiday season.
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be long now before you can buy a projector for less than the price of a single Blu-ray movie. Wink

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A projector for under $100 !? Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That TopVision T21 projector has a 800x480 native resolution but looks as good as 1080p!

Oh where did you find specs? I didn't look REAL hard but I didn't see anything...
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs from the manufacturer page here: https://dbpower.co/product/projector-dbpower-t21-mini-projector-with-10-lumens-upgrade-multimedia-home-theater-video-projector-support-1080p-hdmi-usb-sd-card-vga-av-for-home-cinema-tv-laptops-game-smartphone-i/

Says:

Quote:
2. Specifications:
TFT LCD imaging technology
Upgraded +10% luminosity
1000:1 contrast ratio
16:10 aspect ratio
1.4:1 projection ration
800×480 native resolution
1920×1080 supported resolution
15° manual keystone correction
1.5-5 meter throw distance
32-176-inch screen size


Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000:1 contrast ratio, mmm tasty... Laughing
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider that this projector is 1/5 to 1/10th the cost of a replacement bulb of a good projector, you shouldn’t expect much. Wink

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25438
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
1000:1 contrast ratio, mmm tasty... Laughing


My JVC DILA G11 is rated 350:1 not bad for 2001 eh??

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbltecnicspro



Joined: 23 Apr 2016
Posts: 495



PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about picking one of these kinds of projectors up (not this particular model but any of the Chinese cheapos) and actually seeing what they could do... for science. Even that seems like throwing away my money though, even if it would be fun.
Back to top
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just amazing what you can get for $75. A few years ago just the freakin' bulb would cost you 4x that. It's hard to believe they're not worthless View-Master quality, but they get great reviews... But like the original projector I posted, those great reviews say more about the reviewer than about the projector. The Apeman's native resolution is 480p -- same for the other projectors that outdoormoviehq.com guy reviewed. He claims they're 1080p but he doesn't seem to understand the difference between "supported resolution" and "native resolution."
Back to top
Curt Palme
CRT Tech


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 23682
Location: Langley, BC

TV/Projector: All of them!


PostLink    Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a spammer, I am nuking him. Here to promote his websites..
Back to top
November_SSN



Joined: 31 Jul 2019
Posts: 5



PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, seriously, it definitely has its uses. Has it got a place in a home cinema setup if you want to watch movies in high quality? Hell no. Now, if you're looking for a projector for a school fair/club meeting, for something you can bring out and lend for hobby or associative needs, or even for a small open air movie night with friends or family, this might be a good choice.
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November_SSN wrote:
Now, if you're looking for a projector for a school fair/club meeting, for something you can bring out and lend for hobby or associative needs, or even for a small open air movie night with friends or family, this might be a good choice.

Except that most of these $50-99 projectors are so dim that can't actually do that. You need a screen that's only a few feet wide at most. Open air movie night with a big screen and some ambient light? Forget about it.

Note that the specs here do not list the lumens output: https://dbpower.co/product/projector-dbpower-t21-mini-projector-with-10-lumens-upgrade-multimedia-home-theater-video-projector-support-1080p-hdmi-usb-sd-card-vga-av-for-home-cinema-tv-laptops-game-smartphone-i/

There's a reason for that. Because they're dim as crap. They mention 176" screen size max, I assume that's diagonal. That's 14.7 feet diagonal. There's no way that would be watchable even in a pitch black basement.

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25438
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
November_SSN wrote:
Now, if you're looking for a projector for a school fair/club meeting, for something you can bring out and lend for hobby or associative needs, or even for a small open air movie night with friends or family, this might be a good choice.

Except that most of these $50-99 projectors are so dim that can't actually do that. You need a screen that's only a few feet wide at most. Open air movie night with a big screen and some ambient light? Forget about it.

Note that the specs here do not list the lumens output: https://dbpower.co/product/projector-dbpower-t21-mini-projector-with-10-lumens-upgrade-multimedia-home-theater-video-projector-support-1080p-hdmi-usb-sd-card-vga-av-for-home-cinema-tv-laptops-game-smartphone-i/

There's a reason for that. Because they're dim as crap. They mention 176" screen size max, I assume that's diagonal. That's 14.7 feet diagonal. There's no way that would be watchable even in a pitch black basement.

Kal


Kal, read the link, it says 10 whole lumens light output. What's that 1.3 candle power? Laughing

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you see that Jeremy? All I see is "with +10% Lumens Upgrade"

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 15752
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Where do you see that Jeremy? All I see is "with +10% Lumens Upgrade"

I actually chatted with them. They say it's 1500 + 10%, so 1650 lumens for the T21. bull****.

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz



Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 10601
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're pretty consistent about it. Their GP15 projector sells for $65.99 and they claim it has 1800 lumens! Native resolution is still 800x480 ...

On the other hand the T20 projector has a claimed "50 ANIS" lumens. No claim for resolution but I'd bet it's still 800x480.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25438
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Where do you see that Jeremy? All I see is "with +10% Lumens Upgrade"

Kal


Opps didn't read that right. Still a dim bulb is a dim bulb

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum