Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Dry walling is a true art form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Dry walling is a true art form. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am no artist. But in doing the dry walling in my basement, I have a newfound respect for those that do it.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great respect for those who do it well. I have zero respect for the self-important hack who continuously told me what an arteest he was, and how every other drywall guy in town was a talentless amateur. I ended up firing him and hiring somebody else to repair at least some of his screwups.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I did the same thing with a guy 12 years ago who was drywalling for my mom. Suddenly I became the drywall contractor. I was pretty good at covering screw holes and taping seems by the end of that summer lemme tell you...

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely skill to it, and equally important is to get good framing up first. Good drywallers like to work with good framers so that you aren't trying to fix their screwups after, because, well, you can't. Drywall will fit to the frame you put up. Good mudders like to work with good drywallers for the same reason.

If you're a nice drywaller, you leave apology notes to the mudders. Taken from my basement build thread:

In this case the mudder is actually the drywallers boss and the owner of the company, so it's nice to be polite. Wink

Link/more pics: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348682#348682

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation. The guy I fired had framed in a 45 degree corner with nothing to screw the drywall to. I had to fake it with LOTS of MUD.

CRT.

HD done right!
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drywallers Rock!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Duderino wrote:
Drywallers Sheet Rock!

There I fixed it Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a curved stairwell, as in my place, that had a leak... twice. No, I didn't touch it. You can't solder drywall. I tried. Smile
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just renovated a house and I think I hired the worst drywallers on planet earth. They were part of the worst renovation team selected by the worst contractor who ever lived.

I started to get worried when lumps started appearing all over my walls after just 6 days. It became apparent when discussing the problem that I was more knowledgeable than any of the "professionals" I'd hired (and I know very little).

These "pros" couldn't seem to grasp that they'd caused an issue by leaving my drywall out in the rain before installation. They then painted over it without cleaning or drying or sealing it or adding a base coat. After the lumps appeared, the $11,000 paint job literally peeled of the walls in rubbery sheets. My "experienced" contractor tried to blame the air in New Jersey and the age of the house....

The job cost a fortune and had to be redone (by someone else) immediately. I'm not sure it would have taken any more time for me if I'd done it as a diy job. I ended up managing it myself anyway because I couldn't trust my contractor's QC standards.

Genuinely skilled craftsmen are a dying breed these days. To become a contractor, all you have to do is say "I'm a contractor". They should start teaching these skills in schools again because there is a real shortage where I live. There's good money in it for someone with decent business intuitions. Probably a lot more than your average first college graduate job these days.

So, if you found a good drywaller, hang on to them. They're like gold.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
I just renovated a house and I think I hired the worst drywallers on planet earth. They were part of the worst renovation team selected by the worst contractor who ever lived.

I started to get worried when lumps started appearing all over my walls after just 6 days. It became apparent when discussing the problem that I was more knowledgeable than any of the "professionals" I'd hired (and I know very little).

These "pros" couldn't seem to grasp that they'd caused an issue by leaving my drywall out in the rain before installation. They then painted over it without cleaning or drying or sealing it or adding a base coat. After the lumps appeared, the $11,000 paint job literally peeled of the walls in rubbery sheets. My "experienced" contractor tried to blame the air in New Jersey and the age of the house....

The job cost a fortune and had to be redone (by someone else) immediately. I'm not sure it would have taken any more time for me if I'd done it as a diy job. I ended up managing it myself anyway because I couldn't trust my contractor's QC standards.

Genuinely skilled craftsmen are a dying breed these days. To become a contractor, all you have to do is say "I'm a contractor". They should start teaching these skills in schools again because there is a real shortage where I live. There's good money in it for someone with decent business intuitions. Probably a lot more than your average first college graduate job these days.

I fired my Mom's drywaller once after he user 6 buckets of drywall mud to "straiten" out an 8 foot wall he had just put up that was out 4" from end to end!
I ended redoing it all and learned to drywall in the process. I had help from the local big Box RONA. The drywall department guy and I had a running joke where he would ask how long I've been a contractor now. I'd happily reply "2 1/2 weeks and getting better!" This went on for the full 10 weeks I was at it re-doing her basement and bathroom.

I learned from the pro you MUST primer fresh drywall before painting, 2 coats! And if you get the drywall wet you WILL see it after the paint job unless you dry it out, primer it and give it a quick sanding.
I also learned when to use greenwall - water resistant drywall and Portland Cement backer board. It's all good to know.

CRT.

HD done right!
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Zebra wrote:

I fired my Mom's drywaller once after he user 6 buckets of drywall mud to "straiten" out an 8 foot wall he had just put up that was out 4" from end to end!
I ended redoing it all and learned to drywall in the process. I had help from the local big Box RONA. The drywall department guy and I had a running joke where he would ask how long I've been a contractor now. I'd happily reply "2 1/2 weeks and getting better!" This went on for the full 10 weeks I was at it re-doing her basement and bathroom.

I learned from the pro you MUST primer fresh drywall before painting, 2 coats! And if you get the drywall wet you WILL see it after the paint job unless you dry it out, primer it and give it a quick sanding.
I also learned when to use greenwall - water resistant drywall and Portland Cement backer board. It's all good to know.

My bet is that you know more after 2 1/2 weeks than my contractor ever will. His problem is that he thinks his work is great and that I am being "a difficult customer" when I complain than the paint is literally falling off the walls in large sheets. How dare expect paint to stay on the wall for more than a few weeks....

Aside from not doing any of the required prep, they worked like pigs and didn't bother to clean the surfaces before painting so the paint stuck to dust instead of drywall. Every time they'd come to "fix" a problem, they'd patch over it instead of scraping it all off and starting again. Needless to say, it kept falling off.

They worked without putting drop cloths down too... so I have white paint all over my new wood floors.. It fills my heart with feelings of murder every time I see it.

I totally understand why you'd learn to do it yourself. Dealing with bad contractors feels like a full time job sometimes. I will never hire another contractor. They are the biggest waste of money. I'll hire service providers directly in future. The idea that someone else will mange a job to your satisfaction, leaving you free to do something else is pure fantasy.

It frightening how many of these con-men are out there "fixing" cars, air planes, roads etc.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the people doing it. No drop cloths are fine if there isn't a finished floor but mandatory other wise.

Finding a good contractor can take as long as doing it yourself sometimes. You need references and a written guaranty. Also a quick word with their insurance doesn't hurt.

And those guys not cleaning the surface before painting?! WTF. Jack wads. I used a vacuum then a damp sponge, Wait till dry then prime.

CRT.

HD done right!
Zebra

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
It all depends on the people doing it. No drop cloths are fine if there isn't a finished floor but mandatory other wise.

Finding a good contractor can take as long as doing it yourself sometimes. You need references and a written guaranty. Also a quick word with their insurance doesn't hurt.

And those guys not cleaning the surface before painting?! WTF. Jack wads. I used a vacuum then a damp sponge, Wait till dry then prime.

My contractor's team was painting over the brand new and newly stained wood floors I put down, over the new kitchen I put in, in 3 new bathrooms and over my living room furniture (including my 77" Oled) without a single drop cloth between them. That would be enough to infuriate even the calmest of people but what made me lose it was the look they gave me when I said something about it (for the 3rd time that week). It was like they'd never heard of such and unreasonable request and like we'd never spoken about it before.

I'm 100% non-violent normally but I kicked one of them off his step-ladder and literally through him out of my house when I saw him trying to scrape white paint off my Oled screen with a Stanley knife....

They're still costing me money months after they left. They dropped over 120 nails and screws on my driveway. We've lost two tires from it so far. My four-year old and I had to spend hours on our knees with a flashlight trying to find the rest that we missed.

I'm currently working on my new home theater and I'm going to try and do a lot of it myself and improve my diy skills like you.

If I can build my own CNC mill and make my own ALR / black projector screens, I'm sure I can figure out a little drywalling, sound-proofing and painting. I'm fairly sure I couldn't do a worse job than the last guys.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
They dropped over 120 nails and screws on my driveway. We've lost two tires from it so far. My four-year old and I had to spend hours on our knees with a flashlight trying to find the rest that we missed.

Use a $20 magnetic sweeper like roofers use - like so: https://www.amazon.com/GRIP-53417-Magnetic-Floor-Sweeper/dp/B01LWP1S72/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=d8287c6c360da545d9771a9284c0377d&language=en_US

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

My contractor's team was painting over the brand new and newly stained wood floors I put down, over the new kitchen I put in, in 3 new bathrooms and over my living room furniture (including my 77" Oled) without a single drop cloth between them. That would be enough to infuriate even the calmest of people but what made me lose it was the look they gave me when I said something about it (for the 3rd time that week). It was like they'd never heard of such and unreasonable request and like we'd never spoken about it before.

I'm 100% non-violent normally but I kicked one of them off his step-ladder and literally through him out of my house when I saw him trying to scrape white paint off my Oled screen with a Stanley knife....

They're still costing me money months after they left. They dropped over 120 nails and screws on my driveway. We've lost two tires from it so far. My four-year old and I had to spend hours on our knees with a flashlight trying to find the rest that we missed.

I'm currently working on my new home theater and I'm going to try and do a lot of it myself and improve my diy skills like you.

If I can build my own CNC mill and make my own ALR / black projector screens, I'm sure I can figure out a little drywalling, sound-proofing and painting. I'm fairly sure I couldn't do a worse job than the last guys.

I smell a lawsuit

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: