Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Turn a 100HZ CRT into a 1080i CRT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
AnalogRocks wrote:
the big E wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
the big E wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
the big E wrote:
Heck if I did go to digital it would be either Lcos or if the tech is out laser projection with lcos.

I have a sony sxrd set in my bedroom and love the set just hope the lamp doesn't nuke the blue panel anytime soon.

In my home theater along with my classic game corner crt is staying.

Did you do the cooling mod for the light engine?

No.(did clean what seemed like a ton of dust out of the set before I even put it into service)

I don't use the set much and keep the fan on high to allow for more airflow.
It was a Sony refurbed light engine I got on eBay literally days after getting the set.

Should I do the mod or will it be ok given I only run the set a half hour to an hour tops each night.

I would. As I recall when I looked into it. You needed to cut a vent hole in the light engine and add either a case fan or a fan on the side of the light engine - sorry can't remember which - it was 5-6 years ago I looked into this for a friend.

Ok I will look into the mod and how to do it as I have the old light engine to tinker with(bad blue panel) and soon as I can get a helper I will do the mod to the one in the set(sucker weighs almost as much as my crt Sony set.

Yeah the one I was working on had the "liquid blue" panel

Mine looks like someone pushed on it on the blue panel.(blue halo around the outer edges of the screen)
Not to mention it has a crap load of dust in it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i'm still trying to do so. But i need help: i need to turn on a 32' Inch tv PHILIPS A01E chassis. I've removed the Small Signal Board but i need to bypass the voltage protections to enable the EHT and the other low voltage supplies. Does anyone can help if i explain clearly the project? Like gjaky for example, since i know that he's an engineer and he made a mod for the NEC XG. Any other help, will be appreciated!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Frankie] wrote:
32' Inch tv PHILIPS A01E chassis

Can you be more specific, because googling this gives nothing sensible to me. If I am not mistaken this is a different tv from the one mentioned in the opening post because that would be EM5.1E chassis.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, now i'll be:

the Philips CRT that i'm trying to modify is a A02e Chassis. I've unfortunately broked the other one (the EM5.1E) and i've take it to the dump.

The A02e is still a 100Hz CRT and the SSB permits to go 1080i by means of a software mod. Anyway i'm not that much into software and i've tried another way instead of changing the code in the flash of the SSB. I've bought another SSB but from another brand. The SSB i'm talking about is from a 6D85 Chassis from Skyworth. I'm trying setting this thing up by adding low voltages like 5V, 9V and 12V from the supply of the Philips TV to the new SSB board. Then i'v connected the RGB exit of the 6D85 board to the neck board of the TV and the Horizontal and Vertical Deflection to the CRT Deflection Main Board. The problem is that i can't even turn on the TV because there are almost 5 protections that blocks the current to flow.

Do you have some hints to make it flow in order to turn the TV on?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Frankie] wrote:
Yes, now i'll be:

the Philips CRT that i'm trying to modify is a A02e Chassis. I've unfortunately broked the other one (the EM5.1E) and i've take it to the dump.

The A02e is still a 100Hz CRT and the SSB permits to go 1080i by means of a software mod. Anyway i'm not that much into software and i've tried another way instead of changing the code in the flash of the SSB. I've bought another SSB but from another brand. The SSB i'm talking about is from a 6D85 Chassis from Skyworth. I'm trying setting this thing up by adding low voltages like 5V, 9V and 12V from the supply of the Philips TV to the new SSB board. Then i'v connected the RGB exit of the 6D85 board to the neck board of the TV and the Horizontal and Vertical Deflection to the CRT Deflection Main Board. The problem is that i can't even turn on the TV because there are almost 5 protections that blocks the current to flow.

Do you have some hints to make it flow in order to turn the TV on?

I'd say this is highly impractical to achieve, even if it is possible at all.
The SSB of the Philips TV is the brain of the unit, nothing happens without SSB knowing or controlling it.

If you are really into "big screen direct view CRT at 1080i" then mating the CRT tube of the TV with the motherboard of a suitable CRT monitor would be a more realistic project -but still not easy, as it would highly depend on the characteristics of the monitor motherboard.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Would it be possible to bypass the 100 Hz circuitery of the SSB of the TV and connect directly to the High End Output processor injecting a 31.8 KHz signal (let's say a 1920x1152i 50Hz YUV or Component signal). For what i saw, what comes in from the SCART connector is a PAL RGB Signal with 15625 Hz of horizontal deflection that is modulated to a 720x576i 100Hz YUV signal (that's exactly 31.8 KHz of horizontal deflection). So it can be as simple as that?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That way you only trick the horizontal scanrate. What was mentioned earlier these TVs are not designed for multiscan, therefore they can work effectively with only on horizontal and vertical refresh rate, which is for this television is 31.8kHz and 100Hz.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
That way you only trick the horizontal scanrate. What was mentioned earlier these TVs are not designed for multiscan, therefore they can work effectively with only on horizontal and vertical refresh rate, which is for this television is 31.8kHz and 100Hz.

For what i know the two parameters interact with each other. For example, i've managed to inject on a simple CRT TV 50hZ PAL a 1280x600i 50Hz and it was displayed successfully. For what i know, the IC exits in 31.8 KHz Horizontal deflection so it can display a 640x480p 60Hz / 720x576p 50Hz or a 640x480i 120Hz / 720x576i 100Hz. If it's true what you're saying, i can inject a signal 640x480 "P" 100Hz, but i guess that u've made a mistake. A 31.8 Horizontal deflection and a 100Hz Vertical it's insane!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: