Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WTB: Set of HD10L lenses

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: WTB: Set of HD10L lenses Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Marquee 9500LC that came with GT17s, and I'm projecting to a 72" wide (horizontal) screen. A lot of soft focus around the edges. It seems like HD10Ls (maybe Es?) are what I should be using for this screen size.

The projector was given to me by a kind person, and I'd like to continue to keep the hobby inexpensive.
I'm willing to travel to northeast NC or anywhere in VA (other than extreme west of the state) for pick up. Depending on shipping costs, will consider that route too.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's your issue. Check the Scheimpflug adjustments. The GT17 should be able to do fine at 72" wide. there's a sticky thread called 'all about lenses' in the CRT forum that has all the specs of the lenses. Double check there before you spend money .

The Scheimpflug is a royal PITA on the Marquees, but follow the manual to the letter, and you'll be fine.
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, Curt. The image is very good on the Marquee other than slight red/blue hot spots and the softer focus at edges. I certainly never mastered the Scheimpflug adjustment. I'll continue to read about it and make further adjustments.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

GT17s are hitting the stops at around a 98" throw distance, so check that next. HD10Ls may be preferable inside of 105" throw. I have some HD10Es here at $750 for three.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of sets of 10L's and I'm right across the WW Wilson Bridge 95north into Maryland -- 8 miles from Virginia.

The GT17 lenses were designed to take over where the 10L's came up short.
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I'm right in that 98" to 105" window -- something around 100" or 101". I'm going to work on the Scheimpflug and see if I can get the edges sharper. I will say, center focus across all three tubes is good. Hopefully I can continue with the GT17s, but good to know there are HD10Ls relatively close by. (This 9500LC apparently has your VIM and neck board mods, Mike -- I got it from someone who had it refurbed and retubed in the mid-2000s and that was among the things I was told about the projector.)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan. The "HD" series lens setup or throw distance requirements, were never set in stone because the lens themselves were kind of all over the place, with there being so many revisions of them. And depending on which setup manual or chart you used that was from Electrohome, you could find the words "Simulate" used in the setup instructions where the intent was to place the projector to the screen to determine proper throw distance, with projector being connected the the actual source that will be used. The throw distance chart was recommended only as a reference or idea, but that there was more work to get things right.

So by working with the projector further, you'll get to know the projector better and it's the best way to know for sure if you'll need a different set of lenses.
rotoscoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time working on Scheimpflug and the electronic RGB focus. Definitely managed to improve the edge sharpness -- it was the electronic focus that was the main issue. It's better dialed in that it has been, with further improvement possible. The GT17s seem to be doing fine (though they are about at their stops). So if someone has a set of HD10Ls they're trying to get rid of in Virginia, I remain interested, just to see if there's any optical improvement. Thanks everyone for suggestions and notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: