Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WTB: F-drive board for NEC XG135LC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jask wrote:
I am still running my XGLC and have a spare set of boards.. when you posted this up,I was actually feeling guilty, that I should offer up my spare... glad it is getting sorted...Smile
I originally started out with an NEC PG years ago and was blown away by how well it could resolve, had a Barco 1208 that was smooth and quiet but never popped like an NEC and when I bought and set up the XGLC I never felt the need to go 9"... mostly because I had not spent much time in a good home theater with a dialed in 9" and the market was imploding. I have seen a few good Marquee theaters and they are really nice, but I think the XGLC puts up a superior image. We are so far down the road now that caps are an issue for everyone... and it would be interestingto see who is still running a marquee. My son has run his FPS games on digital PJs and on our XG and him and his buddys LOVE playing in our theater room... they might be the last people in whole world that get to try to explain the subjective experience of CRT vs digital to their peers.. Smile bunch of geeks!

I became an owner of an XG135LC after having a 9PG xtra before, my observations were similar to yours, even though I was really shocked when I found out that all the later XGs had piss poor video bandwidth performance due to their design flaw. This bugged me quite a bit, so after I made the Marquee neckboard work in my XG yet another veil came off the screen. My current VDC Marquee 9500LC surely don't have that kind of power to control the picture, but the 9" tubes and better lenses raise less demand to the electronics to achieve great picture...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Solver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtbilly wrote:
Ok, look into what company you want to use and the size and weight your willing to spend. I'm on the east coast just use Washington D.C. for now. I'll pull it out this weekend and fire it up just to make sure.

Some Google research seems to indicate that USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Boxes seem to be the way to go. They come in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large. Could people in this thread maybe advice which spare boards would be worth shipping around the world besides the F-drive? gjaky wrote that the C-drive also runs hot -- is that another point of common failure in this model?

When the necessary size of the package has been determined, I guess Paypal would be the easiest way to pay for the shipping?

Thank you again. This really seems like a wonderful community!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was buying spare board then this is what I'd look for:
C-drive, one neckboard*, System PWB*, OSC PWB*
*: Care must be taken when sourcing these cards
Neckboard from XG...0 are only usable within that family (ie XG750 neckboard is incompatible with an XG751), but XG...1 and XG..2 neckboards are compatible.
System and OSC boards are generaly only usable within their family, although I have tested that a System PWB from an XG852 ran fine in my XG1351, but the new features of that family were unavailable like ACAT.

Solver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1352. I wasn't aware that the submodel made a difference.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cage at the back was substantially redesigned for the XG...1 series, they introduced a new video chain as well. The difference between XG...1 and 2 is subtle, mostly just software. The drive boards may have a revised PCB layout between the production years but all are compatible.
Solver

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
The cage at the back was substantially redesigned for the XG...1 series, they introduced a new video chain as well. The difference between XG...1 and 2 is subtle, mostly just software. The drive boards may have a revised PCB layout between the production years but all are compatible.

That is very good to know! It would have been very annoying to finally locate a board, only to find out it is not compatible with my model.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LC and the XG852 use the same boards, the rest of the non LC series do not. The F board is different, but.. there are jumper wires that change the B+ voltage on the board. If you cut and change those, then a non LC board will work in an LC, and vice versa.
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok solver, sorry for the delay. The thing was barried and had to move a ton of stuff to uncover it. I fired it up and brought up convergence screen. It seems to function. Can't hook up a source to it but don't remember a problem but it's been a few years.

So let me know anything you want and you can have it. The rest will go to recycling.

https://ibb.co/XyYtWMv

https://ibb.co/9ywQQ2p

https://ibb.co/Z2W13cV
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice! Luckily basically all boards are compatible!
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I saw gjaky response above. Is there anything else you want.

Aside from the obvious shock hazard is there any other "special care" needed when removing these? anything fragile difficult to remove? Hidden clips or mounting screws?

C-drive,
one neckboard*,
System PWB*,
OSC PWB*
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally got some time today to disassemble this thing. What do you guys think about removing heatsinks to save on weight and space? I'm sure Solver will want to put new thermal paste on these anyways and he should have the heat sinks from his broken board.

My hope is to pack this box tight so there is no movement at all. Will put as much in this 12x12x5 box as I can.

Have so far

f and c drive
Osc-pwb
System-pwb
Neck pcb (does it matter witch one)

Anything else.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not remove the heatsink, because that supports the otherwise heavy STKs, without the heatsink, the legs of the STK could easily break off.
The CRT amplifiers are practically all the same.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the legs only break off if the chip is defective. It's a good way to check the chip too. ON the Sony G70s, the chips run so hot that the legs fall off as soon as you touch them.

If you're trying to save the chips, then I'd agree with gjaky, but in this case you're replacing them, so don't worry about it. I've never had the small chip die, but it should be available and cheap, so change it too.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i've got a full NEC XG 135 LC without the green tube so i can send you every part of it you want. Let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: