Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

shaky 3D-Theatre

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: shaky 3D-Theatre Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The purpose of my 3DN-200 is to convert HDMI signal from PC to view SBS/OU content on 2D monitors. The 3D is great; i’m very happy with the depth – it really is cool to see ordinary two-dimensional screens suddenly show some elevation (always via button push on the back, no autodetection). I’m also not really bothered by the 60 Hz flickering (of the lucky few, i guess).

However, there is one problem: parts of the picture are more or less always juddering. It’s actually easily visible even without glasses, and especially on slow scenes. Attached are some enlargeable GIF-converted videos which i filmed of the screen when movies were paused. I’ve played a ton of them (SBS or OU, no difference), tested various conversion settings in TMPGenc during own conversion, 3D YouTube clips, even ran Tridef for games. Different computers (both stationary workstations and laptops), several screens (from 7" car monitors, to internal laptop displays via HDMI-in, to CRT screens). This judder is always there. The amount varies between scenes, but it’s there.

What is this? The way 3DNOW produces the depth effect or a hard-/firmware problem on my unit? If it’s the former, i guess it’s possible to live with (after all, this is a really cool product). But if it’s not supposed to work like this, something needs to be done (after even more, it is also an expensive one).

Please comment.

1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  466.53 KB
 Viewed:  26745 Time(s)

1.gif

2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  377.77 KB

2.gif

3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  483.72 KB

3.gif

4.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  492.12 KB

4.gif

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I don't remember ever hearing of shaking like this. How long have you had the 3D-Theatre? Has it always been this way?

Biggest problem is that the 3D-Theatre is now discontinued and no longer available and the manufacturer defunct, so replacing it isn't going to be possible (unless you go used).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot! Less than a year. And it’s always been like this. However, SBS/OU feed from PC via HDMI is the only feed it is used with (as i understand, most usage cases involve it being connected directly to some autonomous video source, like disc players, for displaying frame-packed BD movies). But you are saying that you know of cases where 3DN-200 was used on HDMI-out from PC for SBS/OU display, and this phenomenon wasn’t observed?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poccapx wrote:
But you are saying that you know of cases where 3DN-200 was used on HDMI-out from PC for SBS/OU display, and this phenomenon wasn’t observed?

It's hard to tell from the tiny pictures how noticeable this is, but I don't see how this phenomenon could be considered normal.

Kal

Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can enlarge them slightly, as they are clickable. This is very much noticeable on slow scenes. If you have a 3DN-200, would you mind testing it on a PC HDMI-out? Any YouTube SBS clip will do, as this shaking is there on any content. There are currently 3D-Theatres available on Ebay, so if this is indeed a failure on my unit, i will be buying a new one. But for that i need to be sure that it’s not an issue with any 3DN-200.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of 'jitter' or how much the image moves seems to be relative to how far in the distance the object is, and it's also different for the left and right frames (they move in opposite directions). My guess is that the 3D feature is turning on/off quickly, going between just passthrough and actually processing/converting the two frames to 3D.

I don't have a unit to test this. That said, as I mentioned above, I don't see how this could be deemed normal. It's unwatchable.

Kal

Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, this is especially noticeable on 3⁻ʳᵈ and 4⁻ᵗʰ images, where only the backgrounds are shaking while the forefronts are stable.

The lack of unit to test is unfortunate. I guess we will have to start discussing the refund question regarding this purchase. My order was placed on 1 march 2018. If you need further confirmation (like the original quality clips of the attached GIF animations) or some more testing on my end, i would gladly provide such.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please contact the seller (Consignia) if a refund is being requested by replying to the original order email. They will be able to provide further support / confirm if this is actually an issue. While it doesn't look normal to me, they can confirm.

I'm confused why the refund however as a few hours ago you mentioned you could live with this issue when you wrote "The way 3DNOW produces the depth effect or a hard-/firmware problem on my unit? If it’s the former, i guess it’s possible to live with (after all, this is a really cool product)."

I would try with a 3D Blu-ray player to confirm. If it doesn't happen there then it's likely source/signal related.

Kal

Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order was placed here on CurtPalme.com. Original order letter contains 2 addresses, 3d@curtpalme.com and kal@curtpalme.com, which i guess is you.

The refund can be partial. I said that i can live with that if that’s how 3DN-200 creates depth. But you have a several occasions said that this can’t be normal. It would be very beneficial if you would have at least one unit to test, of course, considering your site was selling them less than a year ago. But however that may be, if a product is advertized as being able to use SBS content for input, and then displays an unwatchable picture, you are very right – it’s not fully functional.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payment is done to the 3d@curtpalme.com email address which is set up in Consignia's PayPal account such that they are paid directly. From the order page: "Orders are fulfilled by our partner 'Consignia'. You are paying them directly when ordering.". CurtPalme.com does not have access to their account hence the reason you need to contact Consignia.

My kal@curtpalme.com email is not on any of the order emails sent to customers, but I do receive copies of everything sent to emails like 3d@curtpalme.com.

I looked up your order: You've been in contact with Jason at Consignia numerous times over the year so you'll need to contact them again for any warranty concerns or refunds.

Poccapx wrote:
I said that i can live with that if that’s how 3DN-200 creates depth.

I don't see how the image jumping back and forth creates depth. Looks incorrect to me.

Quote:
But you have a several occasions said that this can’t be normal.

That's my guess. It doesn't look normal at all.

Quote:
It would be very beneficial if you would have at least one unit to test, of course, considering your site was selling them less than a year ago.

We don't have a unit to test. We don't sell them directly ourselves per my comments above.

Quote:
But however that may be, if a product is advertized as being able to use SBS content for input, and then displays an unwatchable picture, you are very right – it’s not fully functional.

That's my guess. But again, best to contact Consignia and confirm. They are the experts on this product.

Cheers,

Kal

Poccapx

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the elementary level, an image jumping back and forth like this is how the depth is created. In fact, all 4 images almost look like they have depth – «thanks» to this shaking they look layered to me. It’s just that these «jumps» have to be much more frequent and not as noticeable. On slow scenes, this can even be sickening, so yes, this can’t be working as intended. In the mean time, i have ordered another 3DN-200.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - good point! I forgot that you're taking a video directly of the screen (not going through glasses). So yes, it's flashing two different pictures back and forth (left eye / right eye / left eye / right eye / etc). So I take back what I said.

Kal

smilerman1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theatre plus box thats been in storage for a while. I wired it up ( I was involved in the development of the Theatre box so am familiar with the process) and while 2d pass through of video is fine, a 3d signal (bluray or iptv) lights up the 3d indicator but only audio gets through to the tv I am using. The screen is a dull black with a feww lines of large pixels at the top. Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: