Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Dead Barco Graphics 808s
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I did the test today and yes, all 3 tubes become unfocused when turning the contrast up to 100. The green tube goes back to normal sharpness (at full contrast) if I set the midpoint focusing in the menus to 100, the red tube is barely any different, and the blue tube is slightly better but still not focused. Keep in mind though that there's a chance I've accidentally moved the focus magnets on the CRTs during moving and reassembling the set. The green and red tubes are decently focused at 50% brightness, 50% midpoint focusing but the blue tube is not.

In addition to this, I get the following i2c error codes:
- 58H when adjusting contrast
- 5AH when adjusting brightness
- F0H when trying to adjust horizontal raster shift and trying to adjust it doesn't do anything

plus it rolls through a ton of i2c codes quickly every time i select certain items in the adj menu.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the scrolling errors is an issue for sure. have you done any changes to the software/firmware, or changed out the convergence tray at all, or did this problem happen by itself?

The I2R errors means that the controller board isn't communicating with the other Barco chips on the various boards. Most common reason: a bent module pin somewhere in the set, usually on the convergence tray. If the serial data buss isn't working, or is shorted to another pin, you'll get that.

Second most common: Someone changed the controller board or firmware in the set, trying to improve performance. If that's the case, put it back to orignal.

Third possible cause: One of the Barco chips has shorted out, or on the focus/H shift board, the optoisolator circuit isn't working, sending the data to and from the serial bus. Only way to check that is to swap modules with other working ones.

I think your HV is OK. the image size would change as you turned contrast up and down if the HV was shifting in voltage.
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any intentional changes. The previous owner did mention something about I2C but he had it sitting for 9-10 years prior to me getting it so his memory may or may not be the most accurate. He said it just started acting up like that all by itself one day so he removed it from the ceiling and started using his 701s instead (that I also have here) until he went digital.

I'll carefully check for bent pins or shorts. What to do next? is the H shift board from my 1200 compatible with the 808s, as a test? (Edit: probably not according to the main site)

Last edited by sevs on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any bent pins, and the boards look fine and clean. Very little dust, no corrosion on the top of the boards (component side) as far as I can see, the only thing I see is just tiny specks of what probably is flux from manufacturing. No obvious visually bad components anywhere.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly this is going to be a PITA to try and fix. My explanation really is in the last post. The only way to narrow this down is to find another working set, or set of boards, and start swapping them. About all you can do is pull the focus/H shift board, and see if the long list of errors goes away.

Pulling any other board in the set, and you'll lose the picture, and ability to troubleshoot via the image.

BTW, short of the power supply and HV section, everything is low voltage and low power. Even a dead short in a part won't give a visual indication of it being blown.
sevs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so you can pull the hshift board and the pj would still power on and show a picture. I'll try that.

I wonder if it's possible to damage the projector by powering it up with pulled out boards? Is it only the connection between the quadrupler and splitter that should never ever be disconnected before powering the set on?

Is there a chance the fault could be in the smps?

Strangely, most of the menu items work fine, only some of them show error codes.

I've looked around on the forum and found out that specifically the graphics 808s can't power up with the convergence board unplugged, confirm this? Why not?

sevs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the H shift board and the pic became much wider, filling the whole raster now unlike before. I can adjust brightness and contrast now without getting i2c errors, but obviously no H raster shift and there is still no convergence. The scrolling i2c errors seem to be gone when I pull the H shift board too.

The ticking/clicking sound is still present, but that goes away when I pull the H output board. I have two H output boards and the symptoms are the same on both boards.

I'm not giving up for this one lol. Curt do you recommend trying a new H shift board? Would that fix the convergence problem or is that a different issue altogether? Do you have h shift spares?

Edit: there's still scrolling errors, but they're fewer than before and the menus feel more responsive. I shot a slo-mo video and by pausing it I can see the following error codes when pressing adj to go in and out of the adjustment menus:

F0H
FCH
FEH
66H
68H

Edit again, these are the error codes that show up in this order when pressing adj and having the Hshift board seated:

F0H
F4H
F4H
3CH
3EH
5CH
58H
5AH
F4H
5AH

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: