Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How to get more H WIDTH out of Marquee (1080P)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ronaldus wrote:
Hi everybody,

I just want to post back on the HDM board that i bought from ebay.

I've tested it today (with my own daughterboard and it works better then my own board. I can now fill the phosphor with a 50hz refresh rate and on top of that there are no more vertical lines on the left side of the screen (ringing or banding?)

I'm happy with it and will check if some maintenance mods still have to be done.

regards,

Ron.

great news!! Its Ringing , those vertical lines on left side.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping a dead thread, but I'm intrigued.

I'm getting pretty drastic ringing at 1080p 72hz. I'm also lacking with the H Width for maximizing the raster. I found out that running on "short" retrace helps for width, but this solution seems so much better.

MP's pictures on the first page have died. Can I just take the high band coils out and put a jumper on the 1 and 3 pin? +1 if it can be done without a smoke cloud Smile
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Removing them is safe. Any smoke after correct modification would be originating from somewhere else...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronaldus wrote:
Hi again,

I'll try to post a picture when I'm home from work. It's only the 3 relays for the width coils that are taken out as far as i could see.

I've attached a screenshot of the picture from Ebay but it's not very clear but i think you can see which coils have been removed.

I think myself that it has been modified for High scan rate (1080P etc)

two better pics added

regards,

Ron.

Old post, but for the point, that is a factory HDM, from a 8/9500DM machine, that was a for dome installations with more convergence range (pre ULTRA days). But to overcome the increased heat dissipation of the increased convergence range they deliberately limited the scanrate to 70kHz or so, it was done by completely removing the high-scan switchover relays (and therefore width coils), I think the small signal daughterboard was also modified accordingly.

ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gjaki,

I think you are right my board looks like it was modified in the factory.

I'm checking the schematic now and also the picture of my HDM as shown in this thread and If I am not mistaken the two yoke coils are permanently in parallel but since I don't know the pin out of the relay I cannot really figure it out from the picture. If I had the model number of the relay I could find it out. I could check this tonight when I'm home because I still have the old HDM

I'm using this board with a standard HDM daughter board and it works perfectly fine with 1080P 50Hz Then we are in the high scan range isn't it?

Regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon for interference but a quick update:

Took the coils out, jumped the pins on all 3 and well... it didn't help with the ringing (I'm on short retrace). On long retrace theres zero ringing but I have to push the H size all the way to 100 to fill the tubes Shocked
I've played with the HDM jumper as well, no luck.

Something wrong with the board? Maybe incompatibility with otherwise ultra chassis?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meemil wrote:
Pardon for interference but a quick update:

Took the coils out, jumped the pins on all 3 and well... it didn't help with the ringing (I'm on short retrace). On long retrace theres zero ringing but I have to push the H size all the way to 100 to fill the tubes Shocked
I've played with the HDM jumper as well, no luck.

Something wrong with the board? Maybe incompatibility with otherwise ultra chassis?

As of now there is no "magical ringing eliminator" mod, and in short retrace some sort of ringing normal, but it is difficult to say how much is normal, a picture of your rough projected picture would be helpful here.
It is possible that a certain HDM produces more ringing than an other, but that would be because of a latent problem with the board, there is no known compatibility issue in this regard.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronaldus wrote:
Hi Gjaki,

I think you are right my board looks like it was modified in the factory.

I'm checking the schematic now and also the picture of my HDM as shown in this thread and If I am not mistaken the two yoke coils are permanently in parallel but since I don't know the pin out of the relay I cannot really figure it out from the picture. If I had the model number of the relay I could find it out. I could check this tonight when I'm home because I still have the old HDM

I'm using this board with a standard HDM daughter board and it works perfectly fine with 1080P 50Hz Then we are in the high scan range isn't it?

Regards,

Ron.

I also have such a HDM, altough mine already had been cannibalized when I got it, so I never bothered to put into a projector.

Apparently the service addendum for the 9500DM projector differentiates two product runs, pre 1997 november, and past that. The pre 1997 november models were limited to 65kHz scanrate, and I seem to remember that there is an additional notice that these earlier projector may be damaged if higher scanrate is applied. No surprise as the coils are hard wired for series operation.

Looking at the pictures there is a datecode on the PCB near RL2, that says 50-96 (1996 week 50) -same as on mine, so that board is from the early run for sure. The later projectors had the relays again and they change yoke configurations accordingly, the limitation was put probably in the software instead, to save on labour costs, or whatever.

1080P 50Hz is about 56kHz scanrate, so that fits to the 65kHz limitation.

nidi

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get more H WIDTH out of Marquee (1080P) Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
And at the same time, also solve that dreaded ringing issue on the left side of the screen when running 1080P (60/72hz)..

it's so funny reading this first post from Mike having solved the ringing issue so long back and still seeing
screenshots posted over on AVS still having this issue.

isn't he just the greatest artist out there?
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gjaki,

Thanks for your reply. So if I understand well if I dare to feed more then 1080P 50hz (like 60P or 72/75P) then poof!

Good to know.

Then something else about not getting enough width.
I think it has to do with the MOD SUPPLY voltage (see HDM schematic) that feeds the horizontal size correction circuit (3rd page of HDM schematic) when I had the problem with my other HDM it was as if this amplifier was saturated. If I took the famous jumper out to get more width it just saturated at a lower setting for the H width setting. I didn't want to experiment with this because I didn't want to burn my tube by messing with the deflection circuit.

Any way what is your opinion about that?

regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to get more H WIDTH out of Marquee (1080P) Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
And at the same time, also solve that dreaded ringing issue on the left side of the screen when running 1080P (60/72hz)..

it's so funny reading this first post from Mike having solved the ringing issue so long back and still seeing
screenshots posted over on AVS still having this issue.

isn't he just the greatest artist out there?

Go back and read the thread without malice.

Naw, I'm not the greatest artist out there, or wouldn't even consider myself an artist at all, but thanks for thinking of me that way..Mr. Green

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronaldus wrote:
Hi Gjaki,

Thanks for your reply. So if I understand well if I dare to feed more then 1080P 50hz (like 60P or 72/75P) then poof!

Good to know.

Then something else about not getting enough width.
I think it has to do with the MOD SUPPLY voltage (see HDM schematic) that feeds the horizontal size correction circuit (3rd page of HDM schematic) when I had the problem with my other HDM it was as if this amplifier was saturated. If I took the famous jumper out to get more width it just saturated at a lower setting for the H width setting. I didn't want to experiment with this because I didn't want to burn my tube by messing with the deflection circuit.

Any way what is your opinion about that?

regards,

Ron.

Both could be problematic, the scan regulator supply (page 4) is a basic DC-DC converter with current limit and current feedback, an out of spec resistor at R91, R93, R96 may lead to decreased H amplitude. The easiest would be to compare the output voltage of the scan regulator to a known good HDM (the other one) with the same H-width setting and scanrate. If that is reasonably similar then there is a weakness in the modulator amplifier (page 3).
The safest way to play with deflection is to do the things blindly, pull the P14 plug.

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting observation what I think could have to do with taking out the coils. Normally my C h-linearity setting was good around 25 but with this new setup (including the modded HDM) I have to push it all the way to around 2 for perfection. Doesn't bother too much as I have the required adjustment, but interesting nonethless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: