Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

LG HU80KA - Impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: LG HU80KA - Impressions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone see a LG HU80KA in action? How does the image compare to any of the current JVC 4K offerings?

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty freakin' amazing for a ~$2500 projector.

I don't see any videophile reviews. Most reviews are gushing over the unusual design and the laser light engine. (One review warned that you'll "only" get about 20k hours out of the laser, with no replacement possible. So if you watch 4 hours every single day, you'll have to replace it after 13-14 years. Oh darn.) They claim 150k:1 contrast but it sounds like it's less than that in practice.

With the "grab and go" design, the 0.47 chip instead of 0.66, and other things, I think they're definitely aiming at the "living-room projector TV" market instead of the dedicated-home-theater market. Still, it sounds like a heckuva deal.

They claim 2500 lumens, but by the time you put it into a mode with proper color balance &etc, it sounds like you end up with about 850 "usable" lumens. If you want 15 ftC (good for a dark room), that says you should keep the screen below about 57 sq ft, or 120" x 68", which is 144" diagonal. Pretty impressive. If you bring it down to about 100" diagonal, you end up with half the screen area so double the ftC. I think 30 ftC would be enough for a low-lit living room, but not a brightly-lit room or a room with large windows. For a bright room you could probably use one of the other higher-lumen settings and get it up to 60-80 ftC or more. But of course your contrast suffers badly any time you have light in the room.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall if this was the one on display at Cedia or not. If so, then Kris Deering, Darin and I walked out unimpressed. It might make a decent living room tv with the laser engine.

Honestly, you are probably better off buying a used JVC.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I don't recall if this was the one on display at Cedia or not. If so, then Kris Deering, Darin and I walked out unimpressed. It might make a decent living room tv with the laser engine.

Honestly, you are probably better off buying a used JVC.
I'm looking at those too. Most I see are 1080 native.

It made me curious being a mid price point laser driven vs. 4K JVC bulb.

Although happy with my 8" CRT I'm kicking myself I did not go 9" back in the day. With most PJs are coming out native 4K and unless the price differential is substantial, 4K would be a minimum.

Just kicking tires at this point.

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LG is a faux k pj. It eshifts like JVC.

You should be able to get a b stock JVC for around the same price.

The laser would be nice, but I wouldn't sweat it unless you watch the pj a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: