Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BG800 troubleshooting broken (main) powersupply

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csotranme

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: BG800 troubleshooting broken (main) powersupply Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
All,

As already mentioned in my other topic, the powersupply of my BG800 is broken..

At first sight it looked like something with the fuses.
I replaced them all today but still no luck.
Marked leds below are not showing any signs of life.

Boot behaviour is also a bit random. Sometimes the typical short repeating cycle with or without fans and a shutdown.
Sometimes after a few short cycles it stays on but blows a fuse (also a short blink of the scan fail led) marked here:

To be complete, standby powersupply does work of course, HTHD does too, during boot, the green led is flashing/on.

Any clues on where to look?
I'm almost at the point of trying to get new fuse holders and solder them on or sending it for repair..

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been through the Barco troubleshooting tips here?: http://www.curtpalme.com/Troubleshooting_Tips.shtm

There's also some tips here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco500_Layout1.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
csotranme

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Yes I did indeed, that's where I got the info about the LEDs etc.
To be sure I did pull out all the boards one by one but doesn't make any difference.

I also checked the soldering and it does look good to me.
Actually the fuse holder with the fuse that is breaking every time is a little bit loose to me but seems to be connected good enough though.

Also all the fuse holders are covered in white powder but according to Curt that doesn't hurt.

I can't think of anything else then the main powersupply but again I'm new to this stuff so I will try everything you guys advice me Smile

P.s. I do have a spare BD800. Also broken powersupply (pulsing) but not sure anymore what it's overall condition is.
Have it stored somewhere else so I will take that powersupply to try as well next weekend.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to let others assist here - while I had a BG800 for many years and knew all the boards and setup well, I never dove into any sort of repairs other than completely recapp'ing the thing for stability. Curt was the go to guy on fixing things but I don't think he even carries boards for the lower end models anymore.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem is that I don't even have an 800 test chassis any more. Sounds like you may have a short on a board, which is then taking out the power supply.

Thing is, the 800 is now 27-29 years old. Many parts and capacitors are going to start to fail. Change the two 100uF capacitors on the gate of the MOSFET transistors on the power supply. Those were known to fail, shorting out the MOSFETs.

Other than that, I'd really upgrade the projector to a newer one with better performance.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that you don't have any bent pins on any of your boards. I had a similar problem and found a bent pin on a convergence tray board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: