Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Now this is a higher-$$$ item than I'm used to seeing on CL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Now this is a higher-$$$ item than I'm used to seeing on CL! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
https://denver.craigslist.org/eld/d/jvc-4k-uhd-dla-rs4500-laser/6737467734.html

RS4500.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.5 KB
 Viewed:  8400 Time(s)

RS4500.png

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good luck with that. I think the decimal got shifted by mistake
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original MSRP on that projector was $35K. No idea on the current street price, but is $17.9K really that far out of whack?
Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the about to come out starting models with native 4K LCoS panels from JVC with have an MSRP of $6K I would say yes, it is asking a lot.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Considering the about to come out starting models with native 4K LCoS panels from JVC with have an MSRP of $6K I would say yes, it is asking a lot.

You're probably referring to the JVC RS3000/NX9 RS2000/N7 RS1000/N5.

They're lamp based projectors (not laser) so native contrast isn't as good, and they're "only" 2200 lumen (not 3000). They're also half the size/weight. MSRP on the top of the line RS3000 is $18K.

The RS4500 is a completely different market segment. Most people would be perfectly happy with an RS3000/2000/1000 of course, but comparing is a bit difficult.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably more than a couple of people that would buy the 4500 at that price. As Kal said, it was originally $35k. Not sure what the going rate is now. JVC said at Cedia that it is still their top pj even with the new models coming out.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New it's still $35k, at least at projectorpeople.com. I don't know the street price for a used unit.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of negatives for this model given the price point.

NEGATIVES:
● Disappointing ON/OFF Contrast that is less than forecast by JVC, ranging from minimum 9,200:1 (at maximum brightness) to 42,000:1 (maximum, but with only 160 lumens brightness output)

● Disappointing brightness output that is less than forecast by JVC, with maximum brightness 2,300 lumens (Rec.709) and 1,340 lumens (DCI-P3)

● Laser dimming feature performance inconsistent and problematic (Mode 2 particularly).

● Over 40% reduction in brightness output with BT.2020 colour filter.

● Prone to running hot and when it does the fans switch to 'turbo' mode and the operating noise hits the roof. MAXIMUM operating noise (when running hot): HIGH LASER [Max 70dB / 1m 63dB / 2m 56dB] | MEDIUM LASER [Max 63dB / 1m 57dB / 2m 54dB] | LOW LASER [Max 56dB / 1m 54dB / 2m 51dB]. That said, operating noise is easily remedied and becomes a non-issue via simply installing the projector into an air conditioned hush box/projection booth or outside the room.

● Outperformed in all respects with DCI-P3 colour, bar resolution, by 'lesser' models JVC DLA-X7500 (£6,100 RRP) and JVC DLA-X9500 (£9,100 RRP). Where with respect to resolution the difference is not significantly perceivably different being native 4K versus eShift 4K.

● Expensive.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you made me search for the review. That is Nigel's (Arrow) review. I am not sure if that was before or after the updates. He went to CES to preview it when it came out and was disappointed. Now, if you ask him he would say it is a great projector. Read Kris Deering's review in S&V. Kris sold his 4500, because someone made him a good deal. He told me that he went back and forth on the deal, but relented because he thought the 640 had enough light output for his screen size. Despite that, as of Cedia he was considering either buying another 4500 or the new 3000. He is supposed to be receiving a review unit of the 3000.

Nigel is really gung ho about the 3000. He grabbed me at Cedia and wanted to get my opinion of it first thing. I thought it looked good, but I saw an image stutter or shake that only one or two other people saw. Might be a pre-production issue.

If you want another good Nigel read, then check him, Art and Ken Whitcombs trip to Christie in the AVS ultra high forum. He PMed me about and like his review said he thinks it is without peer. On/off contrast and light output that no pj can match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: