Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How many used parts places are there for Marquee's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: How many used parts places are there for Marquee's? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We all know this place to be the biggest one to come to for used parts for our
projectors.

I'm wondering how many places around the world still offer used parts
for the Marquee?
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely ebay
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim and I, although I am so backed up with my day job, I won't get to any CRT stuff other than my split packs until Christmas holidays. I can sell and send out untested untested and assumed working parts for cheap off the shelf, but if you want (more expensive) tested ones, it will be late December before i get to it.

Tim Martin also has a ton of marquee parts.
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer,

I just see the day coming that even Marquees & Barco's Top Projectors will eventually run out of
new and used parts pretty soon.

when will the day come when even Curt and Tim take such parts to the dumpster.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Tim and I, although I am so backed up with my day job, I won't get to any CRT stuff other than my split packs until Christmas holidays. I can sell and send out untested untested and assumed working parts for cheap off the shelf, but if you want (more expensive) tested ones, it will be late December before i get to it.

Tim Martin also has a ton of marquee parts.

Thanks Curt! I just got in seven 9500 Ultras from a planetarium so I have just about anything you might need. Most things will ship out in a day or two. I test everything I sell. If I don't have it, I'll try to find it for you.

Tim Martin, E-Tech Systems Scottsdale

480 253 2781� text first

ehometech8022@yahoo.com
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
Thanks for the offer,

I just see the day coming that even Marquees & Barco's Top Projectors will eventually run out of

I'll be the last guy doing Marquee's, like forever! LOL
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking for a set of low hours VNB's from around 2002-2004.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
Thanks for the offer,

I've taken 1000s of parts to the recycler already. My biggest problem now with pricing being down in the gutter is finding the time from stuff that does make me money to test parts before sending them.

I'll defer to Tim first for your neck boards. Mine are here, but there's no way to tell the hour counts on them, as they've been shelved for a few years and are out of various sets.

Frankly, while everyone wants low hour boards, I'm not sure that there's a huge advantage, as the neck boards were generally reliable, and other than failing solder joints on the big power resistors on the neck boards, the rest of the board is pretty reliable. I always changed the two 22uF capacitors regardless.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:

As Curt says, no telling how many hours on a neckbeard. My planetarium machines have very few power-off-on cycles, and it is the off-on current in-rush that is hardest on a board.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
nidi wrote:

As Curt says, no telling how many hours on a neckbeard. My planetarium machines have very few power-off-on cycles, and it is the off-on current in-rush that is hardest on a board.

I've heard of this before but can't make sense out of it as Curt and Tim also seem to agree. The manufacture of those neck boards had very little to to with a version change, or that they did some for one period and did not do at another time in production. The only changes made to those neck boards were the early 8000/9000 version of them. The were no other changes made nearly over their life period when manufactured for Electrohome/Christie, and after VDC took over, they only changed the 22uf capacitors that also had a temperature upgrade of 105c. I did not include the filament wire change that moved the wires away from the IC, that was an Electrohome Tech upgrade. So the boards have been very consistant since maybe 1995 on, with only the filament wire change since that time and cap upgrade once in the hands of VDC.

I was tasked at one point to find out why the boards lost resolution when used in constant use applications like 24/7 display systems and simulators where they would basically be left on all day long. My findings were outside of C1 and C26 (22uf / 100vdc) Q19 (pre-driver) on the board would break-down from high heat and would result in a softer image. There is a same 8 pin SOIC version of this chip that is a perfect substitute, but I've since lost the number. The original is a 2ghz Motorola RF transistor that's no longer available. When Scott did the redesign of the neck boards he avoided the use of the Motorola transistor and used something very different.

Outside of Q19, C1 and C26, there is nothing else on the boards that would or could become a time failing device. That was the point Curt and Tim also pointed out. And the heat damage to the PC board itself, is usually common on 24/7 units and those that operated in high temperature environments. There is also another transistor that can fail from high heat (Q13) but when that happens, the board will cause streaking in the image. This is a rare one, and again, more common on 24/7 and high temperature environments.

Outside of w few heat related problems and the failing two caps, the only real failings of thee boards is age and heat causing surface to surface separation. thus can cause intermittent problems and problems when a board may need to be replace, because age has damaged the integrity of the connections.

So there is only two things that soften the image on a Marquee. The first is Q19 and the second is the constant filament.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: