Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

12 volt trigger shorage

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stereodave70

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: 12 volt trigger shorage Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for a way to trigger 5 devices after the processor. Problem is there are only 2 triggers on the processor, and only 1 other device has trigger in and out. Is there a reason all components are not daisychainable? Is this not a good idea to run everything on 1 or 2 triggers. I found a hub on Amazon fairly cheap. But is this a baaaad idea? The processor is a Marantz AV7704, trying to trigger 2-XPA2's, 1 XPA-5, Velodyne SMS-1, and a Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4K player. Please let me know if this is okay?

Thanks
Dave

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, you could do a couple of things here. The first would be some testing with a multi meter to see how much current all the devices draw then see what the Marantz trigger output is rated for. If the combined total of all the outputs is less than the maximum current the Marantz is rated for you should be OK.

If not:

The other thing you could do is build an external box with a 12 volt relay in it and a small 12 volt power supply. You would use the Marantz to trigger the relay and connect the 5 devices to the external relay box. Once you know how much all the devices draw you can get a 12 volt supply with enough amperage to support the triger current for all the devices. So the Marantz turns on the external relay box, the external relay box turnes on the other 5 devices.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably fine. You're only wanting to do 2 or 3 devices per trigger instead of 1.

Most triggers on devices are high impedance (meaning that the device being switched isn't pulling much of any current), so you should be able to do a few like you want. What I'd do is confirm what the max load (current draw) allowed is on the processor for it's trigger output and then use an amp meter in series with a trigger line to each of the devices to see what the load actually is (if you can't ask the manufacturers).

Or you can just wing it and try.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that Jeremy and I were posting at the same time with identical ideas. Wink

Kal

stereodave70

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It sounds like even if it does not work, I still shouldn't blow anyrhing up I ordered 2 hubs...like I said, they're cheap, I'll run one out of each trigger, each to 2 devices and daisy chain the UHD player. It would be so much easier if everything had in and out.

By the way,Kal...it was you who recommended Emotiva to me years ago,...GREAT stuff! The XPA-2 is 2x300 watts stereo and it's bridgeable. So, I'm running them as monoblocks. Absolutely fantastic!

PS...My neighbors hate you...LOL...me.

I'll let you guys know if things don't work out. If they don't, then the kids will just have to learn how to turn everything on.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stereodave70 wrote:
By the way,Kal...it was you who recommended Emotiva to me years ago,...GREAT stuff!

Cool! I don't use it myself but it comes well reviewed, great bang for the buck stuff. If I had to replace stuff today it's probably where I'd end up.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: