Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cedia 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Cedia 18 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know I have done some Cedia reports in the past, so I thought I would do a quick one again.

The biggest thing literally was the walls. These are microled or the like modules that can be arranged to give you a massive display. Sony had IIRC a 25 foot wide display that looked great for around $3 million. Samsung, DP and one or two others had one as well. These are still way to expensive, but at some point in the future the dream TV wall could be achieved.

JVC and Sony brought out some new pjs. JVC was the big announcement. They have introduced three new native 4k pjs at $6k, $8k and $17k. The most expensive model has eshift for simulated 8k. The demos looked nice, but I want to see what the measured on/off cr is. Kris Deering said he should have a review unit by the first of November.

Epson was proud of their new 4050 and the demo looked good for the price. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

For those with a lot of money, the high end audio demos sounded great. Wisdom, Alcon and Steinway Lyngdorf were the best. I think Alcon starts at around $100k with the other two multiples of that. I didn't go to JBL, as I have heard it in the past and I understood they had some issues.

Parts Express had their Epique CBT speakers on hand. It is an interesting concept and definitely something different. It creates a very large sound bubble by design. Read the review on Sound and Vision. I would like to see this design with better drivers.

For the more affordable speaker enthusiast, Monoprice had a good demo with their new speakers. They also have a line of inwalls. Elac has a range of nice speakers from affordable to semi expensive.

Creative Labs was showing off their soundbar again. It does do a very credible job of creating an Atmos experience from a bar.

Paradigm had a nice demo. Kris Deering calibrated the Sony pj they were using and it looked really good to me. I thought the speakers gave a great performance. Later on I found out that Harman has put them through the spinorama and found they have a double smile curve. I can't remember where the peak is. I didn't hear any issues, so I guess that makes me a tin ear. Smile

I did see the usual suspects that I hang out with every year including Darinp, Kris, Mike Garrett and Craig Peer from AVScience. Another guy is Nigel or Arrow AV out of London. I am not sure I have ever met a more enthusiastic AV lover in my life. Shocked

Yes, I did see Crabb. He was at the Domotz booth. He left Luxul about a year and a half or so ago. He spent time hanging out with his Facebook group, which I have still never seen. Honestly I felt like an interloper. I did get some one on one time with him after the show closed for a couple of minutes. Steve is still loving life in Utah.

One funny event for those that aren't fans of AVS. Scott Wilkinson was let go (fired) for apparently monetary reasons from AVS. Well, AVS was hosting an event at the Epson booth and this year they had a raffle for a 4050. You guessed it. Scott won. Absolutely hilarious. I think the Vertical Scope guy went sheet white. Mark Henniger didn't know if he should do an interview or not. Of course, you know Spanky Ham. I was loudly screaming that they had to do an interview, which he did. Twisted Evil

That is about it. If I think of anything else, then I will post it.

Crabb 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  369.57 KB
 Viewed:  4714 Time(s)

Crabb 1a.jpg

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That CL Soundbar better make a darn good samwich too for $5800. Shocked
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cedia 18 Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

One funny event for those that aren't fans of AVS. Scott Wilkinson was let go (fired) for apparently monetary reasons from AVS. Well, AVS was hosting an event at the Epson booth and this year they had a raffle for a 4050. You guessed it. Scott won. Absolutely hilarious. I think the Vertical Scope guy went sheet white. Mark Henniger didn't know if he should do an interview or not. Of course, you know Spanky Ham. I was loudly screaming that they had to do an interview, which he did. Twisted Evil

Perhaps a little Karma at work Thumbs Up
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
That CL Soundbar better make a darn good samwich too for $5800. Shocked

I haven't kept up with it. This year they said the retail price would be $3400 or $3500. The dealer cost IIRC is $2600 or $2700.

Honestly, I thought about becoming a dealer last year. The margins were much greater and it does a really good job of making an Atmos sound bubble. According to the rep, it can do it in a large room with extremely high ceilings. I know it isn't as good as dedicated speakers, but for what it is. I could have seen putting a bunch of these in these high end condos in South Florida. They would work well in that environment with function following form.

This year I gave it some thought and I think the service and support would kill me.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cedia 18 Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Perhaps a little Karma at work Thumbs Up

Yes, it is. If I didn't win, then I was glad that Scott won it.

For fans of HTgeeks, Scott mentioned that he is trying to do another podcast in the future.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cedia 18 Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
The biggest thing literally was the walls. These are microled or the like modules that can be arranged to give you a massive display. Sony had IIRC a 25 foot wide display that looked great for around $3 million. Samsung, DP and one or two others had one as well. These are still way to expensive, but at some point in the future the dream TV wall could be achieved.

Hell I'd say we're already almost there, unless you've got a damn big wall. Best Buy has an 85" Sony and an 82" Samsung for less than the cost of the projectors you mentioned. Newegg has a 100" Christie for $15k, but it's more of a "digital signage" display than a hi-qual video display. Very few people need a bigger display than that. And if they do, just wait a few years.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Spanky! Thanks for posting! Good to see Steve still at it as well!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cedia 18 Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Hell I'd say we're already almost there, unless you've got a damn big wall. Best Buy has an 85" Sony and an 82" Samsung for less than the cost of the projectors you mentioned. Newegg has a 100" Christie for $15k, but it's more of a "digital signage" display than a hi-qual video display. Very few people need a bigger display than that. And if they do, just wait a few years.

Yeah, it is getting there. My best friend told me recently that he won't upgrade his JVC pj to another pj. He said he will be happy with an ultra large flat panel. I understand it isn't feasible, but I would love to have four OLEDs blended together. My 55" cost me $1300, so four of those would be roughly $5200. That would give me a 110" diagonal picture. More than big enough for me.

At the end of the show, we did run across this booth. The picture wasn't great, but it costs $1000 per 20" square module. $40k would give you a 16 foot by 9 foot display. It was blindingly bright. I doubt anyone would complain about the light output.

Crabb 2a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.57 KB
 Viewed:  4577 Time(s)

Crabb 2a.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Very cool Spanky! Thanks for posting! Good to see Steve still at it as well!

Kal

Yeah, it was interesting to see how relaxed Steve is. After the stress of iRule and working with Luxul, he seems content.

I am not sure if you are in the market for a new pj, but the JVCs do look interesting. The booth sucked to determine on/off cr. Outside of that, they do throw a nice pic.

I have to admit that I am tempted by the 540s new price. One could wait out the teething pains on the new models and maybe see when laser becomes affordable.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tempted by the new JVCs as I'm still 100% happy with my RS56. I just installed my 3rd bulb, so have just under 6000 hours on it now. The thing is quiet, stable, and looks fantastic.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the new JVCs, but way to expensive for my budget. Much more value for the money to buy a RS540.
They still make this, and for a very nice price.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzyked wrote:
I would like to have the new JVCs, but way to expensive for my budget. Much more value for the money to buy a RS540.
They still make this, and for a very nice price.

As I said, they are good bang for the buck. I know you are in Europe, but can you get a pre-order pricing pj like AVScience sells?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: