Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Getting back into CRT :) Barco 909
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok got the raster size down. Looks like I need to move my PJ in about 2 feet to get the best use of the phosphors. Also since this was used in a planetarium the focus plane is way off. I am sharp in the middle and way way soft on the top and bottom so I will need to figure out the mechanical lens adjustments next. Smile

One thing. I have the PJ setup so it is in front projection / right side up mode. How flexible can I be with the height? I currently have it just above center. It is aimed straight at the screen (not down at it). I could put it higher near the top of the screen and flip it over? But then it would be resting on its back. Not sure what my options are.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super flexible on all counts. More keystone and pincushion than any other set out there.

Look into the lenses at 90% contrast, with sunglasses on. Put up the test pattern, and verify that all three tube faces are in focus all around. If so, then it's purely a Scheimpflug adjustment. You need an 8mm and 5.5mm(?) socket. Could be wrong on the 5.5mm socket to loosen the brass nuts on the front of the tube LC assembly.

If the tube focus is off on the face of the tubes, then you may have focus board issues, but that's an easy fix.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Super flexible on all counts. More keystone and pincushion than any other set out there.

Look into the lenses at 90% contrast, with sunglasses on. Put up the test pattern, and verify that all three tube faces are in focus all around. If so, then it's purely a Scheimpflug adjustment. You need an 8mm and 5.5mm(?) socket. Could be wrong on the 5.5mm socket to loosen the brass nuts on the front of the tube LC assembly.

If the tube focus is off on the face of the tubes, then you may have focus board issues, but that's an easy fix.

Awesome! I will have a look at the focus tonight. I am moving my base in to adjust the size and I will start looking at the mechanical corrections. Really enjoying playing with this beast. Smile
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the six recessed bolts on the top. I am guessing these are for the scheimpflug? Are there other bolts I need to loosen first? I only have the 909 regular manual so I am not sure which screws are for the mechanical focus. Are there any on the bottom?
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the horizontal tube adjustments done. Raster size is dialed in. Still need to work on corner focus which is way off. Starting to learn the menus finally. I am a bit confused about the memory blocks. I seem to have lost my settings a couple times.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a live input signal at all times to save anything to memory. There's no 'save' button, the Barcos automatically save as soon as you back out of any adjustment that would be saved to memory. No memory battery to fail in the BArcos either.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
You need a live input signal at all times to save anything to memory. There's no 'save' button, the Barcos automatically save as soon as you back out of any adjustment that would be saved to memory. No memory battery to fail in the Barcos either.

Ah OK that makes more sense. I have been dealing with different inputs while testing things.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set one up perfectly, then use the 'copy' command to transfer the data to another memory bank. Actually, that's bad advice, set the projector up roughly, then use the copy command to make sure you do it correctly, so you don't wipe out the original memory.

I've now got three split packs here. Zero time to play with them, but all should be here by Friday. Then the fun begins!
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you setup the Barco already ?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Did you setup the Barco already ?

I just got the new power supply in for my DVDO so I am working on setting it up tonight. I roughed in the focus a couple nights ago and figured out most of the mechanical adjustments. It very rough and i have only been looking at test patterns so will update soon Smile
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having some issues with the scheimpflug. I have four bolts in the front that I loosen, but then I think I need to turn the two that are recessed in the top to get corner focus? They are really really tight and dont seem to want to turn. Not sure if I am on the wrong bolts
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BarcoCine9_Install.pdf

You need to loosen only the two little 'screws' on the top of each tube (front view) not the four big ones which are holding the tube in place. Then you are able to rotate the two screws see Page 7-7 of the mentioned manual.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BarcoCine9_Install.pdf

You need to loosen only the two little 'screws' on the top of each tube (front view) not the four big ones which are holding the tube in place. Then you are able to rotate the two screws see Page 7-7 of the mentioned manual.

AH! That was the exact information I needed. Thank you! The focus was way off due to the curved planetarium. I have the green in focus now Smile Much appreciated
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all the tubes in focus. Everything converged. The picture is amazing! Running 1080p/72 from the DVDO VP30. So much more depth and dynamic range then my JVC digital. Smile Going to sit back and enjoy a bluray now.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, what settings did you use to get 1080p@72 on the VP30?
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:

I stand corrected! I double checked and it's at 1920x1080 60. It must be doing a great job at 3:2 pulldown because I didn't notice. Surprised
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
gregstv wrote:

I stand corrected! I double checked and it's at 1920x1080 60. It must be doing a great job at 3:2 pulldown because I didn't notice. Surprised

I have tried 1080p@72 on the DVDO VP50. The VP50 didnt like it. Might play again one day. Now running 816@72 for most. Only run 1080p@60 for full 16/9 movies like Avatar. I think with a better processor 1080p@72 would work well.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been creeping this thread and thinking that perhaps.... I should... one more.... last!!.... CRT might be in my future. I don't know how to explain it well - but my subjective experience of CRT is like film... smooth, relaxing and watchable. good digital is really nice, and crisp like a new pair of glasses! but it always leaves me feeling like I have been too close to the speakers at a rock concert.... Wink it has been too long since these discussions were the bread and butter around here but there really is something about CRT that is organically ( intuitively?) immersive.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Enjoy Thumbs Up

Thank you! I am Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: