Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Getting back into CRT :) Barco 909
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Getting back into CRT :) Barco 909 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks to a good purchase from Curt Palme I am getting back into CRT finally! I picked up one of his new split packs today and I am going to put it up in my theater. Will be interesting to see how this looks compared to my dated JVS RS2 that I have been running.
Very Happy
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple shots.

Barco2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.6 KB
 Viewed:  9191 Time(s)

Barco2.jpg

Barco1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  254.11 KB
 Viewed:  9191 Time(s)

Barco1.jpg

JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it will look a whole hell of a lot better. I am currently using my 100" 1.1 gain screen. I have never owned a Barco before (mostly Sonys and NEC and early on DWIN) so this should be pretty cool. I dragged the PJ into my place today and I am starting to comb though the manuals.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see someone getting into CRT again.
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! Digital can look good, but the effrotlessness leaves you dissatisfied Wink
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
Great to see someone getting into CRT again.

Thanks. Yes I am getting excited to dive back in.

Meemil wrote:
Beautiful! Digital can look good, but the effrotlessness leaves you dissatisfied

Agreed! I "got used to" my JVC but it was never as satisfying as my old CRT.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plugged it all together and powered it up to test it. It all seems fine but the tubes are not projecting anything. Not sure if it is because I have no signal going in yet (have to dig up my DVDO in storage) but I expected it to project the warm-up menu or something. Tubes are glowing along the bottom but that's it. No weird sounds or pops so that's good at least.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to see someone getting back into the tubes. Smile Unfortunately for me, even if I wanted to, new living situation will not allow for it as we have no room for one. Sad
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Make sure You get those red and green C elements for Your tubes. Unless You want something else than those natural flesh tones we all like so well Wink

Kind Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running my 919 with a DVDO VP50. Some people don't like them but it's been great.
Try selecting inputs. I found some sometimes the scree will stay black if no sync is applied. It could be just different firmware that does it. Also try turning up the brightness. I have had a couple that drop back to zero if you change from floor to ceiling. Not sure why but they caught me out and I spent a bit of time looking for a problem that wasn't there.
Can you hear the EHT come up?
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

The most feared words in Home Theater......... "Some assembly required!" LOL
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Cool to see someone getting back into the tubes. Smile Unfortunately for me, even if I wanted to, new living situation will not allow for it as we have no room for one. Sad

The beauty of these split packs is they are easier to put up in smaller spaces.

gregstv wrote:
Running my 919 with a DVDO VP50. Some people don't like them but it's been great.
Try selecting inputs. I found some sometimes the scree will stay black if no sync is applied. It could be just different firmware that does it. Also try turning up the brightness. I have had a couple that drop back to zero if you change from floor to ceiling. Not sure why but they caught me out and I spent a bit of time looking for a problem that wasn't there.

It seems there is some activity in the tubes along the edges so they are definitely getting some juice. I pressed 6 on the remote to change to the RGBHV input but it seemed to have no effect. I will have to hook up my DVDO next and send it a real signal.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

Make sure You get those red and green C elements for Your tubes. Unless You want something else than those natural flesh tones we all like so well Wink

Kind Regards,
barclay66

Yeah! Curt mentioned I could pull the red/green C elements out of my NEC PG10. I am going to part that projector out so I think I will do that! Smile
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

The beauty of these split packs is they are easier to put up in smaller spaces.

gregstv wrote:

It seems there is some activity in the tubes along the edges so they are definitely getting some juice. I pressed 6 on the remote to change to the RGBHV input but it seemed to have no effect. I will have to hook up my DVDO next and send it a real signal.

I haven't taken a good look at the 909 but I would think you need to select 5 on the remote for port 5 or 3 for port 3 if you have that port plugged in.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure you have connected the cables 100%

I had this once on a Split Pack so in the end it was the cable connection.

And yes, Port5 for RGBHV

cheers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

check that the cover on the back where the cable arrives is well closed
on the 909SP there is a security that prevents any demarage if lid not in place.

a ++
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Tonight I will double check and try #5 I will also hopefully have my DVDO by then to test. I have been using an Extron cvc100 to send the signal but it has a blinking power light so it too may be wonky.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go right out of your computer via VGA to 5 BNC. I think you know someone that has a sh*t-ton of those cables. Very Happy

Usually yellow is vertical sync, but not always.. Definitely input 5 though.

Also the 909 is quirky, it can take up to 30 seconds for the set to lock to an input. that's thrown me a few times, thinking that something was wrong with the set, when it was simply 'thinking' about locking to an input.

Start with a low resolution, 640 X 480 (the 909 won't lock to lower than that), and then work up..
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Go right out of your computer via VGA to 5 BNC. I think you know someone that has a sh*t-ton of those cables. Very Happy

Usually yellow is vertical sync, but not always.. Definitely input 5 though.

Also the 909 is quirky, it can take up to 30 seconds for the set to lock to an input. that's thrown me a few times, thinking that something was wrong with the set, when it was simply 'thinking' about locking to an input.

Start with a low resolution, 640 X 480 (the 909 won't lock to lower than that), and then work up..

That's good to know about the startup time! I will have to look and see where my VGA to BNC breakout cables are. That would be a good test. I think I have enough 5BNC to set up my DVDO a block away LOL. In the meantime I did find my DVDO and I just found the remote for it but no power supply (yet).

remotes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344.97 KB
 Viewed:  8928 Time(s)

remotes.jpg

JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I found my DVDO VP50 and my VP30. Found both remotes and both power cords. Neither works. Sad They both power up but the VP30 screen flashes on and off and the VP50 shows "serious Error 16". Ugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: