Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OLED Life Expectancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: OLED Life Expectancy Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I will be in the market for a direct view TV in the near future. Quickly surveying what Costco carries I diffidently prefer OLED.

In the early days I read OLED had life and wear leveling issues. Now I see advertised life expectancy of 100,000 hours. Wow I say, and I thought the 20K for a typical CRT was good.

So how realistic is this 100K? Anyone here 2 or 3 years into an OLED set? Have any issues relative to the panel technology?

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the life expectancy of the OLED may be 100,000 hours. That of the power supply, processor board is engineered to be 5000-10,000

Don't believe a word of the life expectancy' thing. It's complete BS.
wanderer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone considering an OLED should visit the thread on AVS in the OLED forum about panel uniformity issues. There are lots of images that show what the current issues still are, and I've seen these show up on various floor models when I've visited various Best Buy, Frys stores, etc. The only fix for those issues is a panel or TV swap, if you can get one authorized. Visual QA at the factory would have stopped those units from shipping in the first place, but that clearly isn't happening.

Curt - up until recently I'd never given much thought to the service life of various consumer components. Family then had a Samsung plasma die with the power supply having issues, clicking endlessly and not powering up the display. Common problem with Samsung models, lots of videos on youtube showing the issue. I would have had them fix the power supply as it was a great display, but they ended up finding a mint 7 year old 1080P top model Panasonic Plasma instead for $200. So 5,000-10,000 hours for a power supply or other consumer components, I'd believe it for sure. The OLED display might go to 100K hours, but the rest of it likely won't!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say the burn in issue on OLED really doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all. And calibrated, OLED puts out the finest image of any flat panel (in general).

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
I'll say the burn in issue on OLED really doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all.
craigr
Thats what some of my research turned up, tests that noted potential burn-in issues. You can say plasma has potential for burn-in also. But I've never had an issue with any plasma I've owned

So is OLED any worse than plasma for potential burn-in?

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
I'll say the burn in issue on OLED really doesn't seem to be much of an issue at all.
craigr
Thats what some of my research turned up, tests that noted potential burn-in issues. You can say plasma has potential for burn-in also. But I've never had an issue with any plasma I've owned

So is OLED any worse than plasma for potential burn-in?

OLED is less prone to burn in than PLASMA.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life expectancy and usable specs can differ considerably. I remember the Xe lamp in my JVC DILA. It produced great colorimetry for the first half of its life but the specs drifted past that sweet spot into the 2nd half of its life. Lamp was still usable but a critical eye could tell something was off.

I have about 9000 hours on my Pioneer Kuro KRP-600M. It performs and looks as good today as when I bought it 9 years ago. There is just something about plasma that is hard to beat coming from CRT. I really wish SED had been developed commercially which seemed like a better evolution of the flat panel from a videophile perspective.
virusc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn in and image retention is a real possibility with OLED. Early plasma's had the same problem and the deep cell later ones not so much. i have seen burn in/IR on some older LCD's too. Uniformity and panels not being even from day one with OLED is possible. I would make sure you check via white/r/g/b full test screens if you get one and ask about return policy.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusc wrote:
Burn in and image retention is a real possibility with OLED. Early plasma's had the same problem and the deep cell later ones not so much. i have seen burn in/IR on some older LCD's too. Uniformity and panels not being even from day one with OLED is possible. I would make sure you check via white/r/g/b full test screens if you get one and ask about return policy.

If one calibrated these monitors, like say a CRT monitor (where white is usually 85-95cd/m2), wouldn't that prevent image retention, or is the cause different?
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
virusc wrote:

If one calibrated these monitors, like say a CRT monitor (where white is usually 85-95cd/m2), wouldn't that prevent image retention, or is the cause different?

I believe its a different process.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my LG for about 8 months now and it was one of the best purchases I have made. I am starting to get a little banding on the 5% grayscale, but I don't see it in regular content.

I bought mine from FirstClassTVs that sell on ebay. They are actually local to me and had a damaged unit with a slightly bent bezel. I purchased it for $1300 cash with an aftermarket warranty. I checked to make sure they cover panel issues.

If you are buying, then there is a thread on AVS about buying off ebay. Firstclasstvs is one of the sellers that has really good deals. The guy told me to wait till the deal of the day specials whether it is from them or another reputable seller to get the best price. From there if you are so inclined then you can use a credit card price match with a non-reputable seller to get even more savings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: