Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 Error code 88 - Is the YA board/Dallas chip dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Sony G90 Error code 88 - Is the YA board/Dallas chip dead? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I've had my beautiful Sony G90 safely esconced in my basement since I got it from Nashou (a couple years ago? not sure anymore). I've done the same as him and had it plugged in and in standby since having it, and only fired it up once to make sure it still worked after moving it, which it worked perfectly.

Yesterday I walked past it and saw the code display on the rear say "88", I flipped the main power rocker off, let it sit for a few seconds, flipped it back on, and it went back into normal standby. Today, it has the same issue, only this time I just flipped it off, since I had an odd feeling this wasn't good. I looked around the forum for info regarding the error, and what I found indicated this is the infamous YA Board failure, which was the odd feeling I had! Sad

So I haven't used it since this has happened, I don't want to ruin the projector, I haven't even gotten a chance to enjoy it yet... Is this repairable at all, or do I have to replace the YA board? I'll admit I've never really paid any attention to any of the G90 stuff because I never owned one, and even after getting this one, didn't really worry about it too much... (yeah my bad I know)

So what's the scoop CRT master Guru's?

Confused

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe red 88 is YA board related but luckily for you is not a bad IC421. Craig Rounds can fix this. Reach out to him and make arrangements to ship him the board. A word of warning. If you get the error when the tubes are active you can cause spot burn. DO NOT turn the G90 back on until the board is repaired. If the error occurs in standby no worries.

Last edited by HaydnG90 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Jeremy, hope you can get this up and running.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
I believe red 88 is YA board related but luckily for you is not a bad IC421. Craig Rounds can fix this. Reach out to him and make arrangements to ship him the board. A word of warning. If you get the error when the tubes are active you can cause spot burn. DO NOT turn the G90 back on until the board is repaired. If the error occurs in standby no worries.

Thanks Haydn.

Everything Haydn said is correct especially the part about not powering up the tubes until this error is fixed. Error 88 can be tricky to repair but I have a 100% success rate with them. You do not need a new YA board and the problem is not the Dallas chip. Something is wrong in the CPU section of the board.

please email me if you would like to arrange repairs.

Best,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
tfuller

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Craig's repair services. He repaired my incredibly difficult YA board, and diagnosed the first power filter board failure he's ever seen in my unit Very Happy Looking forward to getting everything set up in the new house over the next couple of weeks.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfuller wrote:
I can vouch for Craig's repair services. He repaired my incredibly difficult YA board, and diagnosed the first power filter board failure he's ever seen in my unit Very Happy Looking forward to getting everything set up in the new house over the next couple of weeks.

Thumbs Up Thank you sir! I'm glad your up and running.

Enjoy,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, Haydn. Jeremy, and tfuller,

Thanks for the advice and that is ***awesome!!*** to hear my YA board is repairable! Mr. Green

I'll definitely contact you about repairing the YA board in (probably) a couple weeks Craig. I'm super busy at the moment, but I didn't just want to let this go, since I've never even had it setup to enjoy yet. I'm just super thrilled its not toast! I was pretty bummed when I saw the 88 code on the back, having never used it Laughing

Since I now have 2 Sony flagship PJ's that are non functional, I think its time I get the G90 and the Qualia repaired. (My Sony's just don't like me I guess Razz )

Thanks for the offer to repair the YA board Craig, like I said I'll definitely message you about it in a couple weeks!!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll probably want the Dallas chip taken care of before it becomes a problem too Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the red 88 shows up when the projector is running, is there a safe way to shut i down without the risk of spotburn.
Thinking something like killing the filament power or HV system first so there is not much energy left in the beam if the G2 grids etc do not function on a 88 error shutdown
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The projector has already shut down if you get the red 88 error code. Hopefully it didn't spot burn the tubes.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Curt says its instantaneous shutdown as well as possible spot burn. I imagine the only way to save the tubes is to run the set at ridiculously low brightness and contrast settings. But no one is going to do that for an improbable scenario.

Keep the Dallas chip fresh and don't ignore any odd out of norm behavior as it could be early signs of a failing component. I tend to cross my fingers when turning on the G90 these days. After all they are almost 20 years old now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: