Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Favorite decade for music?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I like listening to albums, they give the music context. I also have mix tape type playlists and they usually do not hop too far out of genre or style but can if the music is similar enough.
I really enjoy classical in the evening too, over the years I have put together a nice collection of high quality vinyl that most people just look right past while they search for Elvis or Beatles at yard sales etc. there are lots of really high quality, well mastered lightly played LPs to be had in the dollar bins!
my copy of ride the lightning, has "character" .... it sounds like it has spent the last 30 years staying up all night with a bunch of loaded party animals.....

good times Smile
View user's photo album (4 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I like listening to albums, they give the music context. I also have mix tape type playlists and they usually do not hop too far out of genre or style but can if the music is similar enough.
I really enjoy classical in the evening too, over the years I have put together a nice collection of high quality vinyl that most people just look right past while they search for Elvis or Beatles at yard sales etc. there are lots of really high quality, well mastered lightly played LPs to be had in the dollar bins!
my copy of ride the lightning, has "character" .... it sounds like it has spent the last 30 years staying up all night with a bunch of loaded party animals.....

good times Smile

That wasn't the best recorded album of all time. I remember buying the re-release CD and thinking something was wrong with my system.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like it that way..... much better than the bob Rock sound!...( and I really liked the Payola$ and Rock and Hyde.) I just don't feel the magic when it is all studio magicked up. Instead of sounding like a four piece metal band it is a synthetic symphonic wall of ballad metal elevator music.
listen to" for whom the bells toll" and then put on "One" about 2 and a half minutes into the later you will be wishing you were listening to the former Smile The early album sounds like something you might actually hear live in a good bar, the later one needs a stadium show with a cast of dozens and a trailer load of computer voodoo......you may as well go to a nickleback show.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I still like it that way..... much better than the bob Rock sound!...( and I really liked the Payola$ and Rock and Hyde.) I just don't feel the magic when it is all studio magicked up. Instead of sounding like a four piece metal band it is a synthetic symphonic wall of ballad metal elevator music.
listen to" for whom the bells toll" and then put on "One" about 2 and a half minutes into the later you will be wishing you were listening to the former Smile The early album sounds like something you might actually hear live in a good bar, the later one needs a stadium show with a cast of dozens and a trailer load of computer voodoo......you may as well go to a nickleback show.

What you don't like change? I like a Nickleback.

As for sounding like a live show in a dive bar, I never did care for live music. I was always dissapointed. It didn't sound exactly like the album.

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha... oh my. are you one of those guys who keeps all of your food in separate corners of your plate? Wink
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
Hahaha... oh my. are you one of those guys who keeps all of your food in separate corners of your plate? Wink

Nope. My plate looks like a dogs dinner. I think it was the OCD when I was a kid that made me want the concert to sound like the album. I also never did care for live albums. They were lascking in sound as compared to the studio albums.

Later on I did start digging concert DVD's and Blurays though.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some live albums are great. "Waiting for Columbus" (Little Feat) for example is IMHO better than any of their studio albums.

Of course, that may be because WfC was my introduction to LF. That's the way they're **supposed** to sound, in my mind.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Some live albums are great. "Waiting for Columbus" (Little Feat) for example is IMHO better than any of their studio albums.

Of course, that may be because WfC was my introduction to LF. That's the way they're **supposed** to sound, in my mind.

I do like Queen live. Didn't care for Rob Zombie live. Tea Party was good live too. Saw them in ahockey arena with Fear Factory on a double bill. Come to think of it, Fear Factory was pretty close to their album too.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: