Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Favorite decade for music?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Favorite decade for music? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm loving the 90's Alt Rock. Probably because that's when I was in my 20's. THe stuff that came after in the 2000's got kinda crappy for a bit now it's getting better again.

What is your favorite decade for music and which type do you prefer?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the decade when you're in your teens and 20's has a good chance of being your favorite. I love the late 60's and early/mid 70's -- Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Santana, Beatles, Who, Yes, early Genesis, ELP, Cream, stuff like that. Other faves, maybe a step down, include things like Queen, Boston, Springsteen, the Eagles, Doors, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, etc.

Amazing times for music. Then disco came along and ruined the party. Laughing
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970's - hands down.
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite decade for music? Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Probably because that's when I was in my 20's. THe stuff that came after in the 2000's got kinda crappy for a bit now it's getting better again.

Good Point but there has been some good Rock stuff since. Not really new but good like Foo Fighters and Metallica. Smashing Pumpkins just realeased new stuff too.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
1970's - hands down.

Examples?

hansilili wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Probably because that's when I was in my 20's. THe stuff that came after in the 2000's got kinda crappy for a bit now it's getting better again.

Good Point but there has been some good Rock stuff since. Not really new but good like Foo Fighters and Metallica. Smashing Pumpkins just realeased new stuff too.

Yeah the "old" guys are pumping out some decent stuff. I was thinking more the new crew like 'Imagine Dragons', 'Mumford and Sons' , 'AWOLNATION', 'Twentone Pilots', 'Cage The Elephant', 'The Lumineers', 'Kaleo', 'K-Flay', and 'Franz Ferdinand' to name a few.

CRT.

HD done right!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I like Imagine Dragons. Also Muse, Bastille is pretty good, AWOLNATION does some good stuff, ...
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Cross (http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com) did an episode on his radio show where he explained (scientifically IIRC) how it's completely normal for people to think that the music they grew up is the "best" and that everything after was crap. It was an interesting listen. Wish there was a way to link to his shows so that I could find it...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame terrestrial radio for a lot of the music downfall. The one that I listen to from time to time hypes up a new album, then doesn't put it on their playlist. Instead, they play the band or artist's classic hits, that are played to death. I've disliked more than one artist, simply because the song was overplayed. "Counting Blue Cars' is a good example when it was in the top 40. I learned to hate that song, then didn't hear it for over 10 years.
Now it's on a playlist that I made up, because it's a really good song, as long as I don't hear it every hour.

I listen to the Volume Channel on Sirius a lot. Talk radio about music, hosted by some really talented people. I discover new music there, and have purchased a few CDs that I wouldn't have otherwise thanks to them. there's lots of fantastic independent artists out there that get no mainstream play. XMU channel on Sirius is really good for that too.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Alan Cross (http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com) did an episode on his radio show where he explained (scientifically IIRC) how it's completely normal for people to think that the music they grew up is the "best" and that everything after was crap. It was an interesting listen. Wish there was a way to link to his shows so that I could find it...

Kal

Ha, I heard that Alan Cross show last week on the radio. It's why I started this thread.

garyfritz wrote:
Yeah I like Imagine Dragons. Also Muse, Bastille is pretty good, AWOLNATION does some good stuff, ...

I bought a bunch of Muse albums last month. Good listening!

CRT.

HD done right!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
... they play the band or artist's classic hits, that are played to death. I've disliked more than one artist, simply because the song was overplayed...

That's because of how songs are 'rented' to stations to play. The station pays for songs so you'll always hear the exact same 3-5 songs from a certain band even though they may be popular and have 200 songs to choose from. It's annoying.

Kal

El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact.
https://youtu.be/pLqfXlIq6RE
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
1970's - hands down.

Examples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0 Cool Cool
View user's photo album (4 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
1970's - hands down.

Examples?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0 Cool Cool

Your kug-fu is good. But mine is better, you hurt my sister, prepare to die!! Razz

CRT.

HD done right!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
1970's - hands down.

Examples?

I never responded, did I? Very Happy

All the classic rock legends, soul music.

Pink Floyd and the Isley Brothers come to mind instantly. There are a ton of others I love. Point blank, I was born in the wrong decade. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm in the same boat. I was born in 1969 but 14-18 years later in my formative teenage years was l listening mostly to music from the 60's and some 70's.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I think I'm in the same boat. I was born in 1969 but 14-18 years later in my formative teenage years was l listening mostly to music from the 60's and some 70's.

Kal

I grew up listening to country, I think that's why I had so much trouble in school. That stuff liquifies your brain, loweres your IQ, gives you an urge to play the banjo and makes your first cousin look pretty damned good. LOL Laughing

Then my parents friends played rock ( well now classic rock ) this was back in the 70's. Suddenly I could think properly and didn't want anything to do with my cousin. Wink

That's when I was a kid. I didn't 'set' my musical tastes untill I was about 14 or 15 years old. That's when I discovered more of the old stuff like Hendrix and Queen. Also discovered METAL \m/ music. That felt almost right. Then along came that new thing called Alt-Rock. Alt-Rock? What's that?
Then I heard it and suddenly I knew I was home musically. It was like a warm blanket and a cup of rum on Christmas eve. Wink "And all was right with the world"

That being said. I do keep an open mind to new music. I listen to FM radio ( remember that ? ) so I get to hear the new stuff.
Remember how I said the stuff in the early 2000's didn't sound that great to me? Well I stuck with it and the sound got better. It's not 90's Alt-Rock but similar. Good tunes are good tunes no matter the decade. There have been alot. I just prefer the stuff from the 90's because it just sounds 'right' to me. SO, I agree with Alan Cross. Your musical tastes are fixed throughout your teens and 20's and you don't much care for stuff after you are 30 years old. BUT if you keep an open mind (and listen to the radio) you may find you like some of the new stuff the kids listen to today.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jask

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even pick a genre, let alone a decade..
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I cant even pick a genre, let alone a decade..

You listen to many types I take it?

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, not much of a fan of the theory of a deadnickelcreed type stuff but I enjoy the Ronettes as much as Soundgarden, and there is an Ella Fitzgerald CD next to NIN downward spiral on my desk as I type, I have some black metal and traditional North African music, Coltrain, and Townes Van Zandt, black eyed peas and Nicolai Rimsky-Korssakoff and the CD I just pulled out is Flaco Jimenez...Smile
I just checked the record player... last 5 albums: Rush moving pictures, Dylan's basement tapes,the Clash London calling, Siouxsie and the banshees, and Jenn Grant's Paradise ( ..but Ride the lightning was actually on the TT !!)

so..yeah, how do you pick a single decade? One of the things I have always enjoyed about Ry Cooder is his willingness to travel the World and experiment with totally different styles of music and bring them to an audience that might not hear those styles otherwise.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
I do, not much of a fan of the theory of a deadnickelcreed type stuff but I enjoy the Ronettes as much as Soundgarden, and there is an Ella Fitzgerald CD next to NIN downward spiral on my desk as I type, I have some black metal and traditional North African music, Coltrain, and Townes Van Zandt, black eyed peas and Nicolai Rimsky-Korssakoff and the CD I just pulled out is Flaco Jimenez...Smile
I just checked the record player... last 5 albums: Rush moving pictures, Dylan's basement tapes,the Clash London calling, Siouxsie and the banshees, and Jenn Grant's Paradise ( ..but Ride the lightning was actually on the TT !!)

so..yeah, how do you pick a single decade? One of the things I have always enjoyed about Ry Cooder is his willingness to travel the World and experiment with totally different styles of music and bring them to an audience that might not hear those styles otherwise.

You need to listen to one of those radio stations "Whatever Whenever" where they mix all types of music. Personally I can't stand a station that plays a **** song followed by Metallica then blugrass.

I think if you pick a favorite decade like I did it doens't preclude you from listening to all of them.
My favorite bed-time music is Classical. Lately Baroque. Relaxing. Ahhhh.

BTW How does Ride The Lightning sound on vinyl?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: