Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDTV Antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: HDTV Antenna Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Having a huge problem configuring my HDTV antenna off a balcony, 3rd floor. One direction it gets more, the other it picks up others but loses others. Jeez!

Not running an amplifier, cable is under 50ft but I have a longer one. How much a difference does an amplifier make with reception? Any recommended amplifiers?
View user's photo album (21 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: HDTV Antenna Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
Having a huge problem configuring my HDTV antenna off a balcony, 3rd floor. One direction it gets more, the other it picks up others but loses others. Jeez!

Not running an amplifier, cable is under 50ft but I have a longer one. How much a difference does an amplifier make with reception? Any recommended amplifiers?

I have set up dozens of antennas.
First which model antenna is it?

Second how do you have it mounted?

Third what kind of cable are you using? CCS, RG59, RG6, RG6 Quad Shield?
Cable makes a huge difference especialy without an amp. I recommend RG6 copper Quad Shield better than CCS which is Copper Clad Steel.

Lastly; the amp depends. I have had amplifiers here 5 pieces identical where 3 blocked the signal completly and 2 boosted it giving me more channels. It's sort of hit or miss sometimes. One I have used with good sucsess is the RadioShack: Catalog #: 1500473

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-1-in-4-out-bidirectional-3ghz-cable-tv-amplifier

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis one: GE Compact Outdoor Antenna, Receiving Only, 30741
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FGE-Compact-Outdoor-Antenna-Receiving-Only-30741%2F263469278291%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26var%3D562498644779%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008

It's not a special cable. Just what I had around. Tested two cables. One was 100ft, the other about 30ft.

The mounting is on a balcony. There's another apartment across the street and some other buildings. I'll try and get some pictures.

We're frat boying it through a small window.

The zip is 22207: https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which way does the balcony face? Is the other building in line with the TV broadcast towers? If so that makes it a little more difficult to get all the channels ( obviously ).

The antenna looks OK, I've never had hands on with that exact antenna but it looks allot like the small Yagi's I've installed. They do benefit from an amp and RG6 Quad Shield. Keep the run from the antenna to the amp short. Say just long enough to make it inside; 5-6 feet. Then your longer run from the amp to the TV.
Go for the copper RG6 QS stuff on eBay. Decent deal.

The odd thing when there is a building in the way is you can sometimes get a better signal by bouncing off the other building.

CRT.

HD done right!
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balcony looks like this. The easiest way to mount seems to be on the lattice.

You can see the other complex directly across.

IMG_20180401_182731.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.36 KB
 Viewed:  12039 Time(s)

IMG_20180401_182731.jpg

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic #2

IMG_20180401_182719.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.39 KB
 Viewed:  12037 Time(s)

IMG_20180401_182719.jpg

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the antenna range from where we are. The balcony faces south or southeast.

antennaface.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  350.34 KB
 Viewed:  12035 Time(s)

antennaface.PNG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling silly now. Just used a short cabled indoor antenna. Seems to pick up most of the local channels (NBC, FOX, ABC) that I really wanted. It has a power port to amplify this signal. If I can find it, this may be the easiest solution. Durp durp.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antenna reception is a fun experimental thing. I tried 20-30 antennas back in 2008-2009 to see what was best for where I am. Some of the small ones are pretty decent. What's the small model you picked up?

Looks like all the stations except one are north of you. Too bad, BUT again, try bouncing the signal off the building infront of you. Experiment.

CRT.

HD done right!
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long should the RG6 QS coaxial cable ideally be? I know were talking the shorter the better here. Was thinking about 50ft to be sure.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
How long should the RG6 QS coaxial cable ideally be? I know were talking the shorter the better here. Was thinking about 50ft to be sure.

Yep, keep it short, amp close to the antenna and use quality, quad shield co-ax.

CRT.

HD done right!
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought the 50ft quad shielded cable. Set it up going to the outside balcony. Slightly better reception (I thought). The one channel I cannot which I cannot get is Fox 5 or its affiliates.

In a moment of curiosity, I pulled out my DTV box from the digital switcherover - the kind you hook up to really old TVs. Wow! The little guy picked up almost all of the channels. My guess is that since my HDTV receiver is older, it might not be strong enough to pick everything up?? Strange cause it is a much nicer unit, outputs RGBHV, etc.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different generations of tuners. They all tune ATSC but some are way better than others.
I picked up a Memorex 19" TV that gets more channels than my $200 Samsung ATSC tuner from 2009 which has HDMI component etc...

CRT.

HD done right!
Bostom

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a lot of this years ago and my setup's still working great.

Started at tvfool (don't see a mention of it here so thought I'd add it in).

I went with a nice roof-mount antenna but a lot of the attic ones are excellent. From there, ran the cable in to 3 silicondust homeruns (so 6 ota tuners) which are plugged into my switch. Took the cable lead coming into the house and connected it to an hdhomerunprime (the cablecard is something like $3/month), also plugged into the switch. The homeruns are all ip-addressable tuners so everything in the house with a computer, xbox, etc attached to it gets all OTA and cable channels.

As long as you have SOME signal, an amplifier can help a lot. The other thing that helps is to limit the number of splits. Going with a homerun might be a good option for you as you won't split your line but still have access to 2 tuners. If you are going to split the line, do it as far down the line as possible.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Silicon Dust tuner. Never did get it to play with winblows. Got it working in Linux for a bit.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: