Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 raster question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Sony G90 raster question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

this week I managed to bring my G90 on to the ceiling. A 5 man's work, even with the optics removed. Now I'm in the process of setting it up as good as I can, with the help of the video. The best tip so far is for lens flapping / Scheimpflug, using the defocused crosshatch!

I also noticed the "raster" that appears on the test screens with zero contrast and brightness in the 20-40ies. So far everything worked fine, but at the end I noticed the raster was there even with contrast and brightness set at zero.

I can't figure out what I did to change this! Maybe I called a setup in the Menu that made the change to the contrast/brightness settings? I never touched the white balance controls. I made all the geometry stuff (except for zone yet) and the EM Focus. I stored the setup by pressing the memory key for a long time, so it was put in all memory locations.

Any insight and help welcome.

BTW, I kept the original front fan (see my other thread). I made a lot of experiments with other fans, but not conclusive. Much of the noise seems due to poor airflow engineering. The best thing so far was a Papst 60x60x25mm model (622M, I think), that gave some 6dB less noise towards the front with the same airflow. But it does not have a tach signal, so I would had to fiddle with the electronics. Finally I preferred to spare this for later in case I really can't stand the noise...

regards
Martin
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the set cold when you started, then up to temperature when you finished?
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:

No... it was warm throughout the process.

I found the culprit: the ABG mode. Automatic Background. Whatever that does, it displays dim lines on the upper or lower edge of the tube. Once I put it back on, the set went back to normal.

Does anybody know what ABG is, what it does and how it works?

regards
Martin
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfelmousse wrote:
AFryia wrote:

No... it was warm throughout the process.

I found the culprit: the ABG mode. Automatic Background. Whatever that does, it displays dim lines on the upper or lower edge of the tube. Once I put it back on, the set went back to normal.

Does anybody know what ABG is, what it does and how it works?

regards
Martin

ABG automatically sets the G2 values on the G90. Turning it on is correct. Once it runs for 20 minutes the line will disappear and then you can then turn ABG back off. It's best to turn it off after grayscale is set because with ABG on your grayscale will change slightly every time you power cycle the projector.

Best,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while running ABG on, have real world video running into the G90 from a disc or TV or something.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

thanks for the Info. Do you have an idea how that automatic adjustment actually works? The set must be measuring something and adjust G2 according to some reference.

As far as I remember, when I turned it off that was long after the 20 minutes delay - so it shouldn't make a difference. But apparently it did.

Yesterday I noticed the lines while watching 16:9 TV (my setup is 4:3), although the set was running for more than 2 hours.

I'll make some experiments, but probably not the next 3 weeks. Too busy. And the picture is already good enough for watching!

cheers
Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: