Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Oppo is ceasing production
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
garyfritz wrote:
If they shut down DVDs, we lose access to a lot of content. A lot of movies &etc are only available on DVD. I would think they'd be pretty hesitant to completely lose all that content. But if it's only 10% or less of their customer base...

Not 10%, but 3.2% (4.3 million rental vs 47.5 million + 86.7 million streaming).

Netflix (aka DVD.com) isn't the only source for DVDs and Blu-rays. I'm not sure why you'd say that we lose access to that content. You can still get Blu-rays and DVDs elsewhere (at least for now). I still buy Blu-rays but considerably less than I did ~10 years ago. 80-95% of what I watch is Netflix streaming now.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were talking about Netflix. I thought it was obvious I meant we'd lose access through Netflix.

It's 10% of their domestic customer base. But it appears DVD.com is domestic only, so yes, it's a pretty small part of their overall business.

I don't know how Netflix feels about losing access to things they can't buy streaming rights for. They may have reasons -- corporate image/pride if nothing else -- to want to offer a broader range of content. If (when) they drop DVDs entirely, a significant fraction of their catalog disappears. The estimates I see indicate there are roughly 10x more titles on DVD than there are on streaming. I'm sure Netflix doesn't have all of them, but I'd bet they've got a lot.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I don't know how Netflix feels about losing access to things they can't buy streaming rights for. They may have reasons -- corporate image/pride if nothing else -- to want to offer a broader range of content. If (when) they drop DVDs entirely, a significant fraction of their catalog disappears.

They have no interest in offering a broad range of titles. They want to make money, so they offer what people are interested in, which is mostly the latest and greatest, and/or rotating/varying titles. Something new for people to watch at all times.

Netflix streaming is the same way. They're not building up a catalog of titles over time. Titles come and go, depending on the licensing agreements they have, including old stuff. They may have a TV show from 30 years ago, but only for 6 months. Then it's gone.

Quote:
The estimates I see indicate there are roughly 10x more titles on DVD than there are on streaming.

Completely irrelevant to the business model of being profitable. Their current business model over the last few years is to get as much exclusive content as they can, as they see others (like Disney and other studios) coming in with streaming and lots of content that Netflix will never be able to get.

They're expecting to spend $8B on original content this year to give them exclusivity. Yes, that's $8 billion. The depth of their DVD rental catalog (and to some degree even licensing other streaming content) is not even a blip on their radar in terms of financial growth and prosperity.

See: http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-stock-price-creating-a-competitive-advantage-adding-700-shows-2018-2

They couldn't care less about the depth of their catalog. They care about exclusivity because that's where the growth/prosperity/money is.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a continuous subscriber since July 2000 for their DVD then BR/DVD. I even remember when they were experimenting with their envelope design. 3645 rentals later I still love the service.
I rarely buy BR's since I get bored after the 3rd or 4th viewing unless there are other reasons to view eg reference audio/video transfer. So Netflix has been a godsend. I think the Streaming service was (is) poor and cancelled at end of trial period and just kept the disc service.
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an Oppo 203 to replace my aging (though still functioning) Panny bluray player. I needed a unit with 7.1 analog out, so there aren't lots of choices. I haven't yet hooked it up so I am not sure what to expect in terms of video and audio improvement. If anybody has this player and can offer any settings guidance it would be appreciated. It will be feeding a G90 into a Moome card (not sure which version).
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
If they shut down DVDs, we lose access to a lot of content. A lot of movies &etc are only available on DVD. I would think they'd be pretty hesitant to completely lose all that content. But if it's only 10% or less of their customer base...

Not 10%, but 3.2% (4.3 million rental vs 47.5 million + 86.7 million streaming).

Netflix (aka DVD.com) isn't the only source for DVDs and Blu-rays. I'm not sure why you'd say that we lose access to that content. You can still get Blu-rays and DVDs elsewhere (at least for now). I still buy Blu-rays but considerably less than I did ~10 years ago. 80-95% of what I watch is Netflix streaming now.

Kal

I went into a local Target last night which has typically had a good selection of BD (especially the bargain bin) but they completely reorganized the store and the 3-4 long aisles dedicated to BD was shrunk to effectively one. At the rate this is progressing the only brick and mortar retailer carrying a wide selection will be Barnes and Noble.

If you read that graph posted earlier states the cumulative sales of content are higher in 2016 than 2010 but that's an aggregated view of everything (content purchase+rentals). It's natural to expect streaming to become the rental method of choice but what I'm curious about is just the content purchase segment. Are people purchasing films really buying and storing digital versions rather than physical media? I don't know too many folks who are walking around with HDD's and certainly not people over the age of 35. I would expect the millenials and younger to be doing that which will ultimately shift the market over time but not as rapidly as it appears. If the majority of the market segment for purchasing content is under the age of 35 then it makes sense but I can't find any figures which drill down to that level of granularity to confirm that notion.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's me, but I always preferred blu-ray over streaming because of streaming's heavier compression. I hear that 4K streaming narrows the gap considerably, but I live in the country, so I don't have the internet required to stream 4K.
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streaming has gotten considerable better, but it seems the compression algorithms to a lot of damage, and still can't touch a disc. On my old Sony XBR-960 (maybe the best picture I've ever seen on a display device) DVD looked better than any hi-def that wasn't disc based (satellite or streaming). I bet on many sets bluray 1080p will look better than a 4k streaming of the same film. Hopefully, 4K bluray will help physical hang a while longer.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppo is the Best
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: