Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Repairing defective LED and LCD TVs, incl late model sets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Repairing defective LED and LCD TVs, incl late model sets. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I thought I'd throw this out there, even though it's a bit off the norm for most of you. I have a deal going with a local recycler where I pay him cash, and can have my pick of whatever I want out of the place.

As an aside, BC was late to the recycling table, and as a result, I think it's a bit more organized than other provinces or states. Nothing (AFAIK) leaves the province, the smeltering and processing of all the electronics is apparently in house.

I've done this for about 10 years now, and get all sorts of crap, from laptops to flat screen TVs. The flat screens went through a dry spell for some reason, but recently I received a couple of late model sets that were smart TVs to boot.

I looked at both today, and got them both up and running. Both were LG. One was dead, although the power light was on in standby mode, the other powered up, but had no video or backlight.

Since there are so many issues with the VLSI chips and their ball solder connections, I figured I'd take a standard heat gun/wallpaper removal tool, and gently heat up the big processing chips. My method was very unscientific.. I'd circle the heat wave around the chip, avoiding other SMT components around the chip itself. Once the chip was too hot to touch (somewhere around 400 degrees F, I'd let it cool down. The first set took 3 tries, but it's now been working fine for 3 hours.

The second one I tried something different, I left the set powered up while heating it up. After about 20 seconds of heat, I saw the backlight fire up, stopped heating it up, and saw that the menus popped up on the screen.

Not sure how long they will last, but I'll flip them on CL cheap for $150-200 each with a new universal remote for $8 on ebay, so for 30 minutes total time, not a bad investment!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt I recently got a couple flat panels tvs I may need some assistance on.(if you don’t mind)
I will likely be posting them on here(both was given to me btw) one is a plasma by lg(1080 model according to the model number when I pull it up) the other is a Emerson brand lcd(works on everything aside from the picture and menus being upside down)

The plasma won’t power up though.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am totally out of flat screen repairs at this point. Most aren't worth doing anything with at this point.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok.
I know what you mean on that.
I prefer to work on crt based sets but im going to see if I can get these two to work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: