Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The official Curtpalme.com CRT screenshot thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127, 128  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
thewolfman wrote:
I'm very greatfull that you are doing my new set with working remote and all. Will the set be an Ultra and what year was it made? IT doesn't mean a hell of a lot just wondering.

Ahh soon I will be able to Watch Movies again, been a long time.

Thanks Mike!

I sent you a PM on this. Check it out and let me know, I'm sure we should be able get you back in business
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more shots to post the next few days and will be discussing a few other things mod related right here, as I prepare for an upcoming event.

I'll also post a shot of what I've been working on in Audio, that is special and personal project of mine that deals with lowering the noise in a phono preamp, and I'll be suing an Op-Amp design for this, which would not be the best solution for lower noise, because once you open an Op Amp to higher gain operation, you also open it up for a higher noise problem. That also includes problems with parasitic oscillation. I'm using some of the same methods I've developed to lower noise in analog video chains. Something I really could get a patent for, because there is has not been a means of looking at HASH Noise and various other noises that are common when any amplifier operates at certain bandwidths and above. And for an FYI, none of the most popular and HIGH END CRT projectors previously manufactured had consideration for these noise problems. From my research over the years dealing directly with insiders in the organizations, there was no need to go after these noise problems, and that a solution would have to be developed that would be extremely time consumer and would not be justified by the cost-cutting-department of these manufacturers. Or to put it a different way, they could not economically justify the time and cost (R&D) necessary to make improvements where the improvements were not warranted. So I not only took on the challenge to produce the first and only higher than specified video chain (1080P). I also took on the task to develop a means to look at these noises. Something that can not be seen by simply using a scope and probe. Some of these noises ate truly invisible without a developed means to know that they are there.
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news! I will be looking forward to that Mike.
I have been working on restoring an old Tektronix Oscilloscope and thinking that the one thing I really miss ( with the shift to digital ) on this forum is the in depth electronics discussions that used to take place.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped out inductors L8 and L9 for large feritte beads -- Lowered white clipping

thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent images. I should have my head examined for glancing over for a JVC digital. Even thinking about is stupid all I need to do is to Hoist a new one and I too would have an image like this. Or very much like it.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
Excellent images. I should have my head examined for glancing over for a JVC digital. Even thinking about is stupid all I need to do is to Hoist a new one and I too would have an image like this. Or very much like it.

That one last noise obstacle I've needed to tackle will be solved in a few weeks. I've found a dual high adjustable high voltage power supply I will be using (cost about $10.00 shipped) that will get me around that very noisy +/- 85 volt rails that drives the video power transistors on the neck boards.

This is only a 200mhz bandwidth video chain, but it's VERY fast and CLEAN and there is NO PEAKING in either 02 VIM or neck boards. And of course, some work went into that Moome card, a little noise on the front end is huge noise at the end of the chain. And if you saw it in action it'll prove my point that 1920X1080P is all that's needed for CRT HD.

Oh and let me explain another key factor here in image performance that I had to learn along with so many other things as the engineering experts had advised, that was that there was nothing in the technical literature on analog image performance. I think they were saying they look at each stage or device, not the entire video chain, and that is why the bandwidth numbers never matched what the design specification had asked for. They basically just made the product work. What I was trying to achieve would require that I devote the R&D to make it happen. And this is really true when you look at the noise problems in those high end CRT projectors. They were all loaded with noise, and this is what all took me years to first understand and as a troubleshooter be able to come up with a solution, and I have on noise, bandwidth and everything else so far.

But a key one was Dynamics. Something more commonly known of in analog video device to device integration. Where multiple devices would be used in an entire video chain, and if each device did not match up properly with the following device, the Gain Structure could be off, and that would destroy the over all Dynamics. I found the same to be true in a video chain, and started sweeping the chain to make sure the Dynamics remained intact from DAC to TUBE. When this is done properly, the image takes on an whole different dimension. Things like Depth, Transparency and Naturalness seem to jump off the screen. This is also very important to preserve and get the bandwidth to the neck boards. There is no math for this, it requires a lot of R&D as what I was told.

I'm totally burnt out on doing mods, but still love the work..Mr. Green

I should maybe start on your replacement set sooner, considering my limitations on doing these boards these days.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some tax returns coming soon and if the price is right why not just exchange it.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
I got some tax returns coming soon and if the price is right why not just exchange it.

Not sure I'm following you on what to exchange and the cost thing. There will be no cost for your upgrade/exchange, only the shipping amount.

And I can't think of anything we talked about having a cost to it, unless you're thinking of your projector.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

Not sure I'm following you on what to exchange and the cost thing. There will be no cost for your upgrade/exchange, only the shipping amount.

And I can't think of anything we talked about having a cost to it, unless you're thinking of your projector.

Oh no, I meant me exchanging my chassis for another that does work, without tubes, you said before you could set me up with a 2006 model. I assume it would be an Ultra.

If you want to upgrade my boards I forgot that was possible but great if that's the case. We can take the rest via PM from now on so there is no misunderstanding.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

Oh no, I meant me exchanging my chassis for another that does work, without tubes, you said before you could set me up with a 2006 model. I assume it would be an Ultra.

If you want to upgrade my boards I forgot that was possible but great if that's the case. We can take the rest via PM from now on so there is no misunderstanding.

Sometime back I had mentioned an Ultra that was available, but not sure that's still the case. Along with that was to have it sent to me so that I can get it ready to be shipped to you and at that time I would do the upgrade then, you could send the other boards back to me later.

We'll continue this by PM.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nash

If you don't Blend, you Suck right? LOL
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Hey Nash

If you don't Blend, you Suck right? LOL

Damn Straight!!!

Hope this doesn't construe "Stirring the pot " Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta get around to that ringing problem..

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got in a batch of Low Impedance Ceramic capacitors yesterday, and of course swapped them into the video chain. I know I've mentioned this before, that I use this thread also to evaluate what I'm doing. Going with the ceramics does have its benefits, but when looking here I can see gain peaking. Mostly seen in whites, but more pronounced with some lighter combination colors like pink and any lamps or lighting in the images. The caps are as thought, perfect for putting an more intense image on the screen. But it looks like I'll need to decrease the value a bit. I'm replacing C66 and C67 on the neck boards.

The video chain is uses no peaking, as well, no sharpening or enhancements. Just a plain fast and very clean video chain.

Seems like I'm doing more now that I've gotten out of the Mod Business, especially what I've done the past year. I'm a hobbyist now, doing this when I have free time to do so, and only for my own use..

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
Got in a batch of Low Impedance Ceramic capacitors yesterday, and of course swapped them into the video chain ... The caps are as thought, perfect for putting an more intense image on the screen. The video chain is uses no peaking, as well, no sharpening or enhancements. Just a plain fast and very clean video chain.

Seems like I'm doing more now that I've gotten out of the Mod Business, especially what I've done the past year. I'm a hobbyist now, doing this when I have free time to do so, and only for my own use..

Mike,

If your intent here is to educate others, you should post what changes you are making so that others can follow. Give part numbers/values, tell us what you're doing, post schematics.

I can't say I've followed this thread at all, but I'm getting a lot of criticism that you're continually mentioning that you don't sell mods any more (even your signature says that) but you continue to talk about how great your mods are. Seems a bit too much like self-promotion (which is against forum rules), like you're trying to drum up some business.

If you want to post what you're doing, go for it, but post details.

For what it's worth, your screenshots to me look soft and smeared. Colour is off too. I know you don't calibrate, which I don't get, given that you seem to be after the perfect picture.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
Got in a batch of Low Impedance Ceramic capacitors yesterday, and of course swapped them into the video chain ... The caps are as thought, perfect for putting an more intense image on the screen. The video chain is uses no peaking, as well, no sharpening or enhancements. Just a plain fast and very clean video chain.

Mike,

If your intent here is to educate others, you should post what changes you are making so that others can follow. Give part numbers/values, tell us what you're doing, post schematics.

I can't say I've followed this thread at all, but I'm getting a lot of criticism that you're continually mentioning that you don't sell mods any more (even your signature says that) but you continue to talk about how great your mods are. Seems a bit too much like self-promotion (which is against forum rules), like you're trying to drum up some business.

If you want to post what you're doing, go for it, but post details.

For what it's worth, your screenshots to me look soft and smeared. Colour is off too. I know you don't calibrate, which I don't get, given that you seem to be after the perfect picture.

Kal

It's right there Kal ("I'm replacing C66 and C67 on the neck boards") and these are truly smeared as I've also indicated I'm trying Caramic caps at C66 and C67 on the neck boards, even to why I'm posting this.

So are you saying I shouldn't be talking about the mods, because it could mean I'll be selling them again. Selling the mods again Kal is something that's not going to happen. I am also too far removed from making that happen, plus there is no market for it. It is no longer feasible or economical to do Mods these days, that time window passed more than five years ago. The boards themselves are too aged and there can be too many problems even after I had stepped up my soldering station and purchased those special tools to help better solder in small places. I have done well with them over those many years that I had sold them, but should have thrown the towel in years ago. And if I really wanted to promote them for sale, I would be calibrating the image, because I do have a meter and making sure the image is the best at all times.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this some more, and to fair around our forum rules:

Please stop posting about any mods you're doing Mike. You say in your sig "We are still supporting any previous work". By posting about these mods that you're still doing yourself, just for yourself, opens up the opportunity for you to do these mods for your past customers and charge them for it. You are basically advertising your work every time you post screenshots here. Self-promotion is not allowed.

You're also only infuriating your existing customers who are unhappy, and there seem to be many, and they're vocal. They're using our forum as a means to have a shouting match with you about your past work.

So please stop posting about whatever mods you're doing if you are in any way still in business, which you are, according to the comment in your sig: "We are still supporting any previous work."

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 126 of 128
Jump to: