Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Runco DTV992 Barco 808s Shuts down

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roddyjoe

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Runco DTV992 Barco 808s Shuts down Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I picked up this projector a few years ago for $100 and it's been great on a table. I decided to ceiling mount, so I mounted it, then changed the switches. When I turned it on, it makes an effort, but after about 20 seconds, it shuts off. I don't know if I bumped it too hard when mounting it, or did something wrong. I switched the switches back to table mount and it did the same thing. One of the boards (I believe it's the Vertical board) shows a red light, and another red light on the Diagnostic board, second led in. I have posted 2 videos showing what it does because I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain well. Hope the videos work.

Here are the links:

https://youtu.be/4NVLnrKQOqU

https://youtu.be/8aOcomfz-YM

The red light that comes on is the one in the middle of the board marked "Vert" and "SF". I believe it is the vertical board. It does have two adjustment screws on it named "Vertical Shift, Red and Blue". Tried to include a picture but don't know how to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've really had fun with this machine and hope to keep it going. I don't have any testing tools, so very limited in what I can do to diagnose or repair. I connect using port 4/5 with breakout cable. Use both a htpc and a Fury for my hdmi dvd player.

Thank you all,
Rod in Arizona
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set is in scan fail mode. If the spring is broken on the V scan switch, then I'd suspect that the switch is slightly in the wrong position. Otherwise you could have dirty scan switches (clean with control cleaner), or a failure on the H board, V board or main power supply causing the SF LED to come on.
Roddyjoe

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring is very loose on the vertical switch, doesn't seem to be doing anything. I had to pull the switch to the outward position, doesn't click out like the other switches do. I will start there and let you know. Hopefully that is the problem and not a failure elsewhere. Thank you!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the cheap way to fix that probably is to move the switch inward a hair (1-2mm), and then put masking tape around it, to hold it into place. Move the switch ONLY with the power off, otherwise you can spot burn the tubes.

Otherwise I do have spare switches here that work, but you need good soldering skills. Not hard to put in, but you need to flip the set sideways to take out the screws to take the entire bottom metal cover off. Then you can access the motherboard as well as the top of the unit.
Roddyjoe

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned all the switches and positioned the vertical switch as you suggested and it worked! Your reputation as a genius is well merited. Thank you so much. I am so relieved and excited to have it running again.
Roddyjoe

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a moment, I have a new theater room, smaller, so I need to add gray and black washers to optomize the lenses. Don't have any. What's the approximate thickness of the washers so I can improvise? According to the manual, I need to optomize to "b", so need 12 gray and 4 blacks. Thanks.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the manual, either the Barco Data 808 or the Runco on the main site has the washer info. I never did read up on it, nor do I have any spare washers, sorry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: