Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Trouble with corner astig

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xaaroncmx

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Trouble with corner astig Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi again

I've done a full astig magnet adjustment and I've pretty much perfected the center astig and center focus (and that's with the electronic astig/focus zeroed) on all tubes but the corners are a nightmare.

I've spent so much time trying to fix it. It doesn't seem to be a scheimpflug issue. Adjusting the focus pots can (not fix) improve the corners but ruin the center at the same time. But I have everything set for a perfect center and overall the picture is amazing.

The other thing is when I'm manually adjusting the astig ring magnets, I can never get the triangles out of the corners. Like I said the center is perfect but not the corners. They're quite bad... Sad The center dots are perfectly round, no triangle deformity and the flare is dead center.

All manual adjustments were set with all electronic adjustments set to 0.

And I haven't really made notes but for some sides/corners the electronic focus does hardly anything. For the right side I had to set it to 100% and it still wasn't nearly enough.

Could I be fighting a fault? I do have an untested second identical unit I can pull cards and stuff from. I can test most stuff but I have no oscilloscope (yet). Sad

I'm not sure if this would be related to a fault but one other issue I do have is when I increase the brightness by about 3% and display a black screen, all three tubes display a faint vertical line in the center, all slightly offset.

I haven't done an EEPROM init yet either but I have removed all input profiles and only have my 1080P profile.

Thanks Smile
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With magnets you can set the center are for perfection, that will obviously lead to some imperfections in the corners. Electronic correction is aimed to do that -for some extent... I've yet to see a setup where the corners exactly as sharp as the center, this is normal. It is also pretty normal that side focus parameters are often maxed out.
As for dynamic astigmatism it should work quite well even in the corners, at least it worked that way on all my NECs, of course it is possible that you can't get rid of the triangularity at some areas, that's where 6 pole dynamic astigmatism would come handy like on Sony G90 or Barco 909.
I would forget that EEPROM init...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
xaaroncmx

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what I have though, the 6-Pole adjustment? I have 6 rings. 3 sets of 2 pairs, 2-Pole, 4-Pole and 6-Pole. Or are you saying like an electronic control for the function of the 6-Pole magnet?

But yeah, the corners look like corn chips.

And I have no intention of doing an EEPROM init unless told to. But I still wouldn't mind knowing how since these things are dying and I can't find out anywhere else how to actually do it.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a 6 pole CPC magnet, yes, but that is only good for center. For corners the XG only has 4 pole dynamic adjustments.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: