Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So I heard ATMOS finally

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: So I heard ATMOS finally Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
In possibly one of the best environments possible- down at QSC in Costa Mesa, Ca right at the factory. They sell amp and speaker systems for a lot of the theater places, and they have a Barco light cannon in place, in their 'lab'. Wasn't allowed to take more than one picture, but it sounded effing amazing. Gobs of power, all calibrated really nicely.

Never really saw the point of Atmos for home, but now I've changed my mind. I can do it in my place for sure, but who knows when I will actually do it.
wanderer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATMOS when done right in the theater is stunning. In the early days of ATMOS I am sure they were doing strict factory QA on the balancing and setup, and the Cinetopia at the Vancouver WA mall in 2012 was one of the early sites that had a full ceiling array in the large cinema there. I saw The Hobbit in that theater in ATMOS and Dolby 3D and the sound was unbelievable: felt like about 75% of normal audio volume and it was so effortless, spacious and relaxing. That's the best ATMOS I've heard by a mile.

Fast forward to today and ATMOS at the cinema level is a joke of what it could and should have been. QA seems to have disappeared long ago on this tech and cinemas can do what they want balance wise. Worst offender I've had in the last 12 months was a new AMC Dolby Cinema where the sound was so loud and harsh it literally hurt your ears.

I am sure that QSC have a well done, proper and reference setup that is fantastic. It would want to be given who they are!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hear my system when you come down for the meet this Spring Curt Wink It was really hard to put ceiling speakers in my room, but I felt it was worth it. Granted, mine is about as simple as it gets with a 7.2.2 configuration, but if you recall my seating arrangement you'll probably understand why I did only two speakers up to.

When I put up the ceiling speakers I used in wall and also converted all my surrounds to in wall speakers as well. They all match and no more room being taken up by protruding surrounds.

During the installation I thought at one point that I had accidentally drilled a hole through my dining room floor, I did drill a bonus hole through the ceiling a joist too early, and I also almost when through an HVAC duct. I did it over a year ago and still need to patch the drywall, but it was worth it. I guess I should do the drywall finishing before the meet!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I have a dropped ceiling, smartest thing I did 3 years ago when I renovated. Will be a snap to add. Now to do the research on hardware/receivers with preamp outs....
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably find a used Marantz pre amp for a good price.

Rocco disliked the Emotva pre amp that he bought.

Dolby Cinema has been to loud in the two that I have attended. I now have two Cinemas a short drive away. Unfortunately, all my friends don't want to spend the money for a Cinema ticket.
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, what amp/receiver are you using right now? You have seen my setup so maybe you can help. I can't seem to get a grasp on Atmos, DTS Neo, NeoX, DTS:X, etc. Many years ago, I originally ran speaker wires into the ceiling because there was talk back then about there being an added height field to the surround experience. To refresh your memory, I am currently still using an Integra DTR-8.9(that you fixed because of Integra's incompetance) in a 7.1 set up but have had a Pioneer Elite SC-65 boxed up and on the shelf for a couple years. My speakers consist of LCR at ear levels, seating is roughly 10ft back, the side surrounds are even with seating but mounted about a foot from the ceiling angled down, and the rear surrounds are roughly 8ft behind the seating also being mounted about a foot from the ceiling angled down. Then I do have two (L&R) ceiling speaker wires ran which end up being about two feet in front of the seating. This is where I want to install speakers to add the height field.

I have a few questions: First, with my 4 surrounds being mounted so high, would a couple of speakers in the ceiling actually give the effect that they should deliver?? Is this why you switched to in-wall surrounds so you could have better positioning?

Second, the SC-65 is not an Atmos or DTS:X receiver but it does have DTS Neo:X. What exactly does this mean and are there any BluRay titles that would allow me to utilize this? I have checked and there are no firmware updates for this model to enable Atmos or DTS:X so I am confused as to how my SC-65 would take advantage of or "activate" the height channels it possesses. And if it can't, then why would Pioneer include them??

Last, if I decide to get a new amp/receiver, what do you suggest? Now, you know that I would be spending countless hours on finding that incredible deal on a used model so keep that in mind!!! Wink

Thanks!!!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dochlywd wrote:
Craig, what amp/receiver are you using right now? You have seen my setup so maybe you can help. I can't seem to get a grasp on Atmos, DTS Neo, NeoX, DTS:X, etc. Many years ago, I originally ran speaker wires into the ceiling because there was talk back then about there being an added height field to the surround experience. To refresh your memory, I am currently still using an Integra DTR-8.9(that you fixed because of Integra's incompetance) in a 7.1 set up but have had a Pioneer Elite SC-65 boxed up and on the shelf for a couple years. My speakers consist of LCR at ear levels, seating is roughly 10ft back, the side surrounds are even with seating but mounted about a foot from the ceiling angled down, and the rear surrounds are roughly 8ft behind the seating also being mounted about a foot from the ceiling angled down. Then I do have two (L&R) ceiling speaker wires ran which end up being about two feet in front of the seating. This is where I want to install speakers to add the height field.

I have a few questions: First, with my 4 surrounds being mounted so high, would a couple of speakers in the ceiling actually give the effect that they should deliver?? Is this why you switched to in-wall surrounds so you could have better positioning?

Second, the SC-65 is not an Atmos or DTS:X receiver but it does have DTS Neo:X. What exactly does this mean and are there any BluRay titles that would allow me to utilize this? I have checked and there are no firmware updates for this model to enable Atmos or DTS:X so I am confused as to how my SC-65 would take advantage of or "activate" the height channels it possesses. And if it can't, then why would Pioneer include them??

Last, if I decide to get a new amp/receiver, what do you suggest? Now, you know that I would be spending countless hours on finding that incredible deal on a used model so keep that in mind!!! Wink

Thanks!!!

https://www.lifewire.com/dts-neo-x-1846849

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-2-setups.html

I'm using the Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro... you've seen my stack of amps. You can get used and refurbs pretty (relatively) cheap now because the AV8805 has come out (but in my opinion does not offer anything of much value over the 8802A). You would be building a 7.1.2 system where 7 is the number of surround speakers, 1 (or more) is the number of sub woofers, and 2 is the number of ceiling speakers. With a x.x.2 setup you ideally would have the ceiling speakers directly over the seating area. Is there any way you can move the speakers back (which way do your ceiling joists go)? Look at the second link; it describes speaker placement perfectly. You would be best off lowering your surround speakers to ear level. Also I don't know if your speakers are dipole of bipole, but if they are they are, best replaced with direct firing speakers for modern sound rendering with an atmos capable decoder.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so there are so many different models out there that I am having trouble distinguishing between them. I have a Carver 753x running my LCR from the pre-outs on my Integra and then the internal amps are running my four surrounds. I do have two Carver TFM15s (2chnl amps) cut if I purchased a pre/pro then I would still need more or different amps. This steers me back to the same type of set up I currently have. From what I have researched, a used SR6011 looks to be in my price range. I could still use the 753x to run my fronts, the internal amps run my 4 surrounds, and then use one of the Carver TFM15s for the heights chnls if needed. Last, the only real difference between the sr6011 and sr7011 that I noticed was a little less power??????

Does this's all sound correct?

Thanks!!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea Mike, you lost me.

As I am sure you know, you need one channel for each speaker at least. It's best if each channel has the same kind of amp because audyssey calibrates at reference level so if you listen below or above reference the output curves of the amps will not match and the sound will not be correct. I'd sell off some of the sh*t you have and get separates. You need nine channels so you could get three 3-channel amps...

I've got two Acurus A200x3 amps that power all six surrounds and three Acurus A250 amps bi-amped that power the three front channels. The Acurus A200x3 and A250 all use the same amplifier board.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: