Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH G90 - are these hours credible?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just buy a new G90 There's still One on Ebay for $9500 Laughing
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:
Just buy a new G90 There's still One on Ebay for $9500 Laughing

And own a potential ticking timebomb. Hope they replaced the Dallas chip for that price.
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Sony G90 installation & some questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I managed to carry the beast in my livingroom this weekend. Although I took off the lenses, I'm feeling my muscles... why is the G90 so much heavier than comparable units (Barco...)?

As HaydnG90 wrote, the unit is from 1999, February to be precise. Its a VPH-G90U/1.

First inspection revealed absolutely no mask in the tubes. The unit is very clean inside, even the fans. When running the unit has a light "new" smell. The controls for installation seem easier and more straigthforward than on my Barco 808. But with all this magnetic focusing it took me a while to get a decent picture.

When compared to my 808 I noticed a strange lack of luminosity. I'm running the 808 with 50% Brightness and 60% Contrast. The same setting on the G90 gave only a dim image. I suspected some setting somewhere limiting the brightness. What I found is Color temp that was set to 6500K but was really dim compared to the setting above (9300K) and below. Looks like someone has messed with these values.

There are gain and bias values that I can play with, but I do not have a colour meter nor the expertise. Does anybody has some default values?

Although in the shop the unit seemed to run very quit, its considerable noisier than my 808. Especially the front fan. Can this fan be replaced with something more silent?

Next I'll check the YA-Board and the Dallas.

I wanted to add some pictures of the unit and the tubes, but always get an "you tried to upload an empty file" error although they were correctly selected and downsized to 200KB.

Cheers
Martin
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also upgraded from a BG808S to the G90. I set the Barco up myself but the G90 seemed more daunting and I don't have a colorimeter or the experience to set gamma correctly. I had someone do this for me who owns pro grade equipment to optimize the image and get the best out of it.

The G90 is amazingly stable once set up. IN the 12 years of ownership it has only had two calibrations. My tubes have about 3500 hours on them.

It is noisier than the 808 but you sort of get used to it and once the movie is running I hardly notice, except in very quiet passages or I focus on the sound. Some people have swapped the fans for quieter designs but there have been issues with insufficient cooling depending on where the pj is placed.

CHANGE THAT DALLAS BEFORE YOU RUN THE PJ AND BURN THOSE MINTY TUBES.
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
I also upgraded from a BG808S to the G90. I set the Barco up myself but the G90 seemed more daunting and I don't have a colorimeter or the experience to set gamma correctly. I had someone do this for me who owns pro grade equipment to optimize the image and get the best out of it.

Could you eventually read out the Bias and Gain data (alltoghether 6 values) for the 6500K setting? Mine are probably way off, so anything would be better than what I did. My greyscale looks horrible.

I took out the YA Board to check the Dallas. Its indeed a 1998 built. I'll look for a replacement.

Funny its still working. I wonder if the battery is drained when the beamer is in standby. But then, if the 1400hrs operation include standby it must have been with power off for most of the time.

regards
Martin
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has said, don't get Dallas chips off eBay. They are all Chinese counterfeits. I have dissected them and they have inferior batteries and a ram chip that draws more current than a real Dallas chip. You are lucky if they last a year. At $2 they are tempting, but spend the extra $50 to get a real one. If you want, you can send me your original chip and I can copy it so that you don't lose your serial number and hour counters.

The earlier the G90 the batter. The first units all have YA boards with known good IC421's. You really scored a nice unit. Having a good IC421 is key; anything else on the YA board I can repair... or anything else for that matter.

Always run a G90 with the default brightness and contrast; 50 and 80. You should adjust the brightness and contrast with the BIAS and GAIN in the service menu. This keeps the G90 gamma in check, reduces streaking, provides deeper blacks, and a more solid image. The default GAIN for green is MAX. Turn this down if you want to reduce contrast and make the tubes last longer, and then balance the other GAIN's and BIAS from there. Also, run the AKB for 20 minutes before you do anything in adjusting gray scale. AKB automatically adjusts the G2's on the G90.

A good starting point for GREEN GAIN on new tubes varies from unit to unit, but is always between 195 and 225; typically around 205.

I also have G90 remotes in stock and dark green c-elements if you don't get them from Curt.

Have fun!
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: