Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Problem with blue color in OLED How to tune? (Picture)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjkjk

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Problem with blue color in OLED How to tune? (Picture) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Problem with blue color in OLED How to tune?

attaching 2 images

1. a picture shows that the blue can be seen from black to blue from level 6
when the rest of the colors start at level 1

2. you can not increase the brightness of the screen, because the bright colors lose details
in picture 2

http://oi63.tinypic.com/jheexg.jpg

http://oi63.tinypic.com/u4lt1.jpg
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do a proper calibration of the display. To do this you need calibration software and a meter. I recommend ChromaPure with the Display 3 PRO - it's by far our most popular package: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure_EyeOneDisplay3.shtm

Then to calibrate follow our guide: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
It'll walk you through step by step.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kjkjk

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you do is sell me a product that has nothing to do with my problem!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that would be incorrect.

You are assuming you have a problem because blue output appears reduced below level 6 in your screenshot, but that's not necessarily correct. It's the total response (greyscale/gamma) that matters. That's where the tools I recommend come in. It's the only way to correct set your colours. You may not even have a problem at all. How do steps from 0 to 100 IRE white look?

Turning up blue on the low end to match the others may completely throw off your greyscale. Blue response to our eyes is different from others because of the differences in wavelength, so the answer isn't to get them to all look the same. That would be incorrect. You don't simply turn up the blue gain to compensate as that isn't necessarily the right thing to do.

The right thing to do is to touch nothing and measure the greyscale/gamma response from black to white. That's what the tools I recommended are for. Then you decide what needs to be done. In other words, you need to do a proper greyscale and colour calibration of your set. Not blindly fiddle with controls.

Just blindly turning up blue on the low end is the incorrect thing to do, but if you want to do that just turn up blue on the low end in your TV's service menu. You haven't indicated what display you have so it's impossible to be more specific.

Good luck.

Kal

kjkjk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

in link the - table on the white looks great from 1 to 32

Quote:
Turning up blue on the low end to match the others may completely throw off your greyscale

I did not understand what to do

(I will not buy any of your product)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above, turn up blue on the low end in your TV's service menu. You haven't indicated what display you have so it's impossible to be more specific.

Kal

kjkjk

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLED 9300
Quote:
turn up blue on the low end in your TV's service menu.

How can you turn on the blue ?

the screen has blue control
brightness i put more brightness - It changes the brightness only in the brightest colors (where no brightness is needed)
Saturation i put on 5 from 1 - no difference ( can be too little blue adds more white to a blue color)
Shades i put on 5 from 1 - It changes for ( can be too much red in blue )

but do not see a difference in blue from 1 to 6 Too dark
in this site

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php

I brought up OLED lighting (backlight lighting - did not help blue)
I raised the brightness to a maximum of 100 (hardly changed in blue 1 to 5 in blue look black )

I do not understand on the web page - do I need the blue at the end (number 32) to be as blue or white/blue as possible???
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning up the blue low end is usually done in hidden service menu. Some TVs will have a full blown CMS (colour management system) available too that lets you do lots of adjustment. Every TV is different, so the menus will all be different. I don’t know what TV you have.

Keep in mind too that normally the controls in the service menus are meant for doing a full blown calibration with a meter and software as I recommended in my original post above. They're not places people should be tinkering in blindly (usually).

kjkjk wrote:
I do not understand on the web page - do I need the blue at the end (number 32) to be as blue or white/blue as possible???

I can’t explain what that other website is telling you to do. You should contact them directly if you have questions about their instructions.

Kal

wfdTamar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen this thread. I'm just a mug punter end user that likes my TV.

It is very frustrating for the consumer to buy what they think is a high end TV, get it home and find the picture is actually not very good after all (outrageous grass and flesh tones, bad shadow detail, etc). The last few TV's I've bought were both considered the best available and I found them both lacking. There is no easy and cheap fix unfortunately. You can only go so far with a 'calibration DVD' like Spears & Munsell and adjusting by eye. Not all TV's have the complicated controls to adjust to get to the nitty gritty and if they do, even once you understand what you're doing to get them accurate just by eye is hard, if not impossible.

So next level of investment is a calibration meter & software and that means you also need three things -
1. The patience to learn how to use it to do a manual calibration.
2. A computer to run the software.
3. A TV that has the detailed controls required for adjusting and storing all the appropriate settings.

Or you can pay someone that has a really fancy calibration meter to come and do a calibration on your TV. That takes care of No 1 & 2 above, but you still need No 3. Some people do this annually, but you may get away with less than that, particularly if you're less fussy.

Next step up - A further investment can make the process easier (almost completely automated), put it in your own hands and give you other benefits (upscaling and switching multiple video sources), but it is a sizeable amount of money (in my case more than my expensive TV). Buy a video processor that can calibrate with the meter and software. The Lumagen Radiance range are an example.

My own preference is to buy the complete setup so I'm self reliant and get the best result (without constantly having to call on others). There's a learning curve, but I found it worthwhile with my last TV and hopefully will be for my current one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: