Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The Last Jedi

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: The Last Jedi Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I saw The Last Jedi on opening night in a local AMC Dolby Vision Theater. The laser projection is definitely an improvement over standard 4K digitals with a black level much closer to that of a well calibrated CRT. However, it was the sound system that was absurd- the bass response (transducers felt like they were secured to your rectum…) was so powerful that more than a few times I had wished it was dialed down a bit. This is like a 2D IMAX presentation but on a scope screen😉

As for the film itself, I felt it was a massive improvement over The Force Awakens. There were multiple epic scenes, a sound track marked by healthy doses of Luke’s theme/Binary Sunset (is there any score ever which screams more nostalgia?), fast pacing, requisite humor and the unexpected. I walked in not expecting much and dreading that it would wind up being an Empire clone but left looking forward to the future of the franchise when guided by the Director Rian Johnson. Hope there still is for Star Wars.

I’ll need to see it again to decide where it ranks in the pantheon but suffice it to see that between this film and last year’s Rogue One the majesty of Star Wars is alive. Where J.J. and Kasdan failed, Johnson has succeeded.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, saw it last night with friends and thoroughly enjoyed everything about the movie.... except the 25 minutes of ads before it started :/
View user's photo album (4 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
.... except the 25 minutes of ads before it started :/

The single best aspect of the new reserved seating at AMC; only sat through 2 previews. It's a blessing when you want to take kids under 5 to an animated feature; attention span isn't being wasted on not only trailers but no the frigg'n commercials.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it Sunday and enjoyed it very much. Not sure just yet where it ranks, but my initial thoughts are that it is the best since the original three.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we all see the same movie?

One word sums: Meh.

Not bad, but not great.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
Did we all see the same movie?

Apparently not. You preferred the force awakens?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw this last night.

I liked it. The ending reminded me of Star Trek Generations. Felt like the passing of the torch. Can't wait to see how they write the next one.

By the way. Did anyone see the movie poster for "SOLO"?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue One was a better film, especially in how it slotted right between the first movie and the prequels.

I saw FORCE AWAKENS once in theaters, but was with my girlfriend in an empty theater so we were goofing around.

A couple months ago, I caught a few minutes of FORCE AWAKENS when that crazy imperial guy is screaming about the awesome power of their cannon. Now they have a "death planet". Yawn. My 3 year old nephew was standing watching it. It hit me that it wasn't very good either.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and I was underwhelmed. It was OK, not great.

I won't give any spoilers but I didn't like Luke's behavior. The stuff with Kylo Ren was interesting, but I really don't care for the actor. Other stuff was... kinda meh really. Nothing really stands out that much to me. It seemed like a real mishmash mush of stuff. OK, not great.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that struck me was the utter lack of quotable lines from this film. OR from the last 4 to think about it.
...and "Who sar me sa" doesn't count.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: