Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

XG110 Error FC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim80z

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: XG110 Error FC Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi All

I hadn't used my projector for a very long time (been travelling/working a lot) but it has been plugged in on standby all this time.

I flicked it on yesterday:
- started ok
- within a second the green tube came on very bright with some overscan bright lines
- the red and blue stayed off from what I could tell
- within 5-10 seconds the projector shutdown with an FC code.
- after a few more seconds it came on by itself and repeated the above

The projector is connected to a Lumagen Vision HDP and a V1.3 HDMI Moome card.

I have read 3 other threads and people are mainly leaning towards power supply issues (but were not conclusive?).

On one thread it happened to be a lack of input setups caused the problem but I have seen this before when i reset the projector. I managed to get a vague picture of my inputs up before the projector shutdown and they seam to all be there. I dont think this is the problem.

I pulled the covers off the projector and noticed a flash from the SG5101 on the H-DEF PWB when the projector shutdown.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Jim
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to be a tough one to try and troubleshoot. FD error is +15 volt supply line is low, but the last thing I'd suspect is the power supply, as the set is turning on. I'd suspect:

-shorted green tube (Sort of unlikely)
-bad video neck board on the back of the tube (more likely)
-almost any other board in the set.

I am selling XG boards for $10 USd each, minimum order 4 boards. I am getting out of XGs simply due to lack of demand, so what boards aren't sold by the end of January are going to the recycler.
jim80z

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curt

Many thanks for the reply. Thanks for the parts offer but I have been fortunate to have heaps of parts from some other projectors I disassembled.

I changed the Green neck board without luck. Then replaced the HV and H-DEF PWBs (from memory they need to be in their original pair so both needed to be replaced?) and the projector is now starting up fine.

Now I have an interesting problem where the green tube has a dead phosphor area in the middle (not large but noticeable) and a a semi-vertical line bottom third of screen (outside the 16x9 area so not an issue) like someone scratch the phosphor. Is it possible that the phosphor degrades and flakes off the glass? These were new tubes (not rebuilds). The other two tubes changed at the same time are fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a spot burn. Rare on XGs, but possible. I did it to a set once when the red G2 lead was loose on the HV board, going to the green tube. That killed it instantly. The only tubes that I've seen flake off the phosphor are one batch of Sony ES focusing tubes, where the phosphor came off in chunks. Had a few of those way back when. I'd say some fault in the XG caused the burn, and not as a result of the tube itself.
jim80z

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I figured the spot in the middle, although jaggy looking, may have been spot burn but the semi vertical line at the bottom threw me. I guess it could also be a burn as the gun traversed. Thanks for responding Curt. Much appreciated!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: