Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Is this crazy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Is this crazy? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Right now I have a Yamaha DPX-1200. And while I'm happy with it, I was thinking about upgrading to a 1080p digital. If my new living situation will accommodate a black-out theater situation, I was actually thinking about picking up, of all things - a JVC-RS1.

I know that RS1's have been left in the dust by the newer models, but I figure that since they're cheap enough, it may be worth picking up. That and I haven't really seen any long term reliability issues with this particular model. It's also got a couple of features that I find desirable, like a manual lens shift and what not.

Since I know that the one weakness of the projector is that the color primaries are a bit over saturated for green and red, I was also thinking about picking up a cheaper used Lumagen that could help me reign in the color.

Does this sound sane, or is this a stupid proposition?

As much as I'd like to get a newer RS model, I would prefer the cheapest "decent" one I could get, as we would be living with quite a few small children and people, so I wouldn't feel as bad if something happened to it (as opposed to a nicer RS model).

What say you all? Completely nuts?
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I am still using my JVC RS1 with my Lumagen and think it looks great! I remodeled our basement and switched to a Vutec Silverstar to get more brightness for 3D material. At the same time I changed my front wall to look a lot cleaner and added sound absorbtion behind the screen wall. This required moving the screen forward a bit and moving the G90 back. I wrote down all the measurements and was able to get it all lined up EXTREMELY well so I don't even notice that it was moved. However, because the screen material has changed, it still needs to be color calibrated which is why I have only fired up the G90 a handful of times over the last couple years simply to put it through the paces. I really wouldn't have any problems if the only thing I could ever watch again was my RS1 since I don't have an extremely trained vidophile grade eye. I think you would be extremely happy with it. However, If you search the Craigslist listings from city to city I think you would be surprised what you could find for a really good price. During the whole remodel process I found and RS46 in Arizona for $500 shipped. If it wasn't so hard to part with my first love (G90)and its Lumagen Sad, I would consolidate and just go with the RS46. The deals are out there, just keep hunting!

Doc Thumbs Up

HinesHTa.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.33 KB
 Viewed:  19025 Time(s)

HinesHTa.jpg

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find an RS46 for $500!? I just bought an RS45 (with spare bulb, 3D emitter, 2 pr glasses) for $850, and I thought THAT was a pretty good deal!
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guy in Gilbert, Az. I found it on Craigslist and a guy I work with had a buddy who lived about 20 minutes from the seller. I was able to have him go by and inspect it along with making the deal. Searching for deals is something I do on a regular basis. I think I might have issues..... Smile
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dochlywd wrote:
Some guy in Gilbert, Az. I found it on Craigslist and a guy I work with had a buddy who lived about 20 minutes from the seller. I was able to have him go by and inspect it along with making the deal. Searching for deals is something I do on a regular basis. I think I might have issues..... Smile

Maybe. Smile What size screen are you running by the way?
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vutec Silverstar is 110"
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up getting a Benq HT-2050. Long story short, we're going to be moving in with my in-laws due to some health issues. This projector will essentially be a "do-all" that will play video games, watch TV, movies, etc all while being able to effortlessly drive a 120-inch screen.

Wife and I have decided to go ahead and set aside money in our budget for the end of next year to purchase whatever the new entry-level JVC D-ILA projector is.

EDIT: This projector isn't obviously ideal but for the rest of the household it will be a hit, and for the time being that's more important than my desire for great visuals (I'm the only videophile in the household).
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Mike Garrett or Craig Peer at AVScience for b-stock deals. You can usually get a good price on a b-stock vs a new JVC.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Spanky. I will definitely do so when it comes time to make the purchase. I'm guessing that we will get whatever the RS-4xx model is.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check to see what they have here.
https://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=12.15

I am a little shocked that they have 4910s still in stock. I would be curious to see the price on that.

I remember Mike telling me they can only sell JVC new in the US, but b stock IIRC can be sold anywhere in the world.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got the Benq and I'll just break it down like this:

The good:

+ Good color accuracy out of the box (in Cinema preset)
+ Full HD 1080p
+ Bright enough to drive a large screen effortlessly

The bad:
- Contrast
- Too bright

The ugly (which will make me probably return it)
- Slower color wheel than my Yamaha.

Supposedly it's a 6x speed wheel, but then you find that at 60hz the wheel rotates at 240hz, which suggests to me that it's indeed a 4x speed wheel. The 6x speed actually only comes into play at 50hz material, which I actually didn't realize. I'm not sure what speed my Yamaha operates at but it's got to be faster as I have to really try to see rainbows on that unit. Disappointing.

Edit: Talked it over with the wife and I think I'm definitely leaning on returning the projector.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright - I returned the Benq. I think at the end of the day I'm just going to go ahead and keep the Yamaha DPX-1200 and keep using. Other than the fact that it's only 720p, it does everything that I need it to. And while it's no CRT, its contrast isn't bad at all (depending on which review you read, you'll see that there have been those who measured its contrast to be a bit above 4000:1 or 5000:1 - the best I read was around 5300:1), its colors are accurate, and its faster color wheel means its harder to spot rainbows.

I ended up returning the Benq because the rainbows started giving me headaches, for those who care. Smile
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Yamaha is a real nice machine, if the HDMI port had worked, I'd have kept it for myself.

The color wheel in the Yamaha is more akin to say a Christie or a Barco, than it would be to say a BenQ or an Optoma. It's a very high quality color wheel, and even repairable (which no consumer DLP PJ color wheels are these days.)

The yamaha is a very high end HT projector, not some basic consumer garbage like an Optoma or BenQ, which you could see for yourself when you picked the BenQ up. The signal processing, color wheel (which is a 3" diameter 5 segment wheel btw, most CW are 2" or smaller), all-glass lens, PSU, are all engineered to provide nothing but exceptional performance.

The BenQ has a plastic lens, inferior image processing, poor contrast due to the high brightness. The BenQ is akin to a cheap portable presentation unit, which also have similar pricing and performance.

Honestly it made me happy to see that you preferred the "old" Yamaha over the "latest and greatest" sub $1000 digital.

If you want 1080p, and you want 1080p that kicks ass like the Yamaha does with 720p, look at used Digital Projection M-Vision DLP projectors. There are a few on ebay right now that are less than $600 shipped. These are $26,000 MSRP units. I have 2 here myself, and the color, contrast, brightness, sharpness, detail, is outstanding for a single-chip unit. Also, no noticeable rainbow effect from the color wheel. The M-Vision 1080p-260 is a $3500 lumen projector at its peak brightness, but if you properly setup the colors, brightness, contrast, run it in low lamp mode, the black levels are more than acceptable IMO, while still providing juicy vivid and overall pleasing image quality.

Guaranteed you'll be happier with an "outdated" $600 1080p M-Vision DLP than you ever would with a $1500 or lower DLP/LCD.

If you want even better black levels from the same projector, there is the "M-Vision Cine 260" the Cine 260 is different from the 1080p 260, in that the cine was intended for the HT market, it has better color (6 segment RGB/RGB CW, no white segment), and higher contrast, at the expense of a little less brightness.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 2 of them less than $600. One is a Cine 260-HB at less than $350 shipped, a REAL steal of a deal for such a high end full HD machine. (the HB stands for high brightness, so it will be similar in brightness to the 1080p 260)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322933514067?epid=140899588&hash=item4b30565f53:g:z1oAAOSwySVaCInT

The other is the 1080p 260 for $550, both are outstanding performers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172987554753?hash=item2846dc9bc1:g:RD4AAOSwOA1aEHyU <<1080p-260 (has only 645 hours on the 2000 hour lamp, and also, that seller doesn't realize is, but the hour count he is reading the lamp hours off of, is also the projector total usage hours, so it has only 645 hours of use, basically new still.)

Also, they are only 18 pound projectors, solid aluminum chassis, and much smaller in size than the Yamaha, but bigger than the BenQ. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, and here you go responding when I've already made up my mind and ordered another lamp for the projector. Very Happy As we haven't moved yet, I think I'm just going to hang on to the Yamaha and just enjoy it. Thanks for pointing out digital projection - I didn't even think of them. I'd really like a Runco LS-5 but those are hit-or-miss as far as when they're on sale.

And as far as the Yamaha vs Benq. I knew the Yammy would be better but I didn't expect it to just walk all over the Benq. Literally the only thing better about the Benq was that its HDMI inputs worked (lol) and I could sit a little closer to the screen.

But any other thing you want to mention - the Yamaha just decimates it.

Edit: And yes - I've grown pretty fond of it. It once started out as my "backup" unit for when I planned on using the G70 and it was acting up. And now it's become my main unit.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to try out a high lumen 1080p DLP pj and experiment with a LCD panel in front of it.
eliomonster

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha is a great machine for 720p and enjoyed it while I had it. Just picked up a Marantz 15S1 for 500.00 and is a huge step up in quality. I for one would not buy any of the new dlps as they have no black levels and you will always miss the 1" chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: