Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 9500 contrast and brightness settings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napos

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Marquee 9500 contrast and brightness settings. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am curious to see what settings most of you are using, especially, contrast. I mostly want to see what contrast setting you would consider to be "safe" as far as balancing image punch and tube life.
I am currently using a Moome card with gamma correction. If I set the G2 as per Tim's recommendation I end up with a setting of Contrast 50 and Brightness 32, using the C option on the Moome card (Black boost) and full gamma. My screen is 80" X 45 ", with a 1.2 gain.

Nicholas

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set the G2 up, I use a setting of 60 and 60.
napos

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
When I set the G2 up, I use a setting of 60 and 60.

I remember reading this at an older Marquee black level thread on AVS. What do you consider a safe maximum contrast setting to maintain tube life as much as possible?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only reasonable answer to your question would involve the light output from the tubes. Contrast value is just a number and as it is it have no strict connection to tube life.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what gjaky said. Tube drive (the white balance / grey scale settings) also affect light output and ultimately, tube life.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I think the only reasonable answer to your question would involve the light output from the tubes. Contrast value is just a number and as it is it have no strict connection to tube life.

Well, higher numbers do push the tubes harder, and wear the phosphor out faster, but you're right, there are many variables outside of just brightness and contrast settings that determine tube and phosphor life.

Bottom line answer is: as low of a setting as possible. Smile
napos

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always kept the contrast at 50. My drive/G2 settings are:
R 24/67
G 87/64
B 40/62
When I had my 8500 AC I got up to 15,000 hours on the tubes with similar settings. It was still good to go for more, and I only switched to the 9500 LC Ultra, because I found a great deal of NOS tubes from Curt a few years ago.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really had the time or a good enough meter to find out, but I am curious to see how different base settings affect grey scale tracking and calibration and tube life.

Running a series of tests with brightness and contrast set at, for example, 30/30, 40/40, 50/50, 60/60, etc. and then comparing the
results would be kind of interesting.

I personally want a Marquee set so that contrast is at 50 and brightness is at 30 and the picture is as good as it can be.
napos

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, when I set up my G2, as per Tim's technique, I end up with similar results, using full gamma on the moome card and the C option (black boost). The picture is very puchy, perfect low level details and perfect black levels. A fade to black scene is absolutely black!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: