Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!


Advent Videobeam 1000 Screen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just tried to resurface my first corner on this thing and it isn't going well... But I kind of wonder how difficult it might be to actually turn this screen into a 'vacuum box' torus? I may have to do significant reinforcement to the shell, but it might be possible to cut out the split area of the cross brace and glue in a solid box that I could hold a fan in, then stretch fabric around the outside edges of the whole thing and drill holes in the original surface so that the screen can be sucked down. That might actually make a suitable replacement surface, and probably a more acceptable one than from me filling and painting. But that would still be a lot of work.
Back to top
donaldk



Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 305



PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you aren't in Europe, I still have an Vutec 120.
Back to top
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donaldk wrote:
Pity you aren't in Europe, I still have an Vutec 120.


It's okay, I'll make this work. I just wish I could get the seller to go ahead and do a partial refund, since the screen was clearly not as described. But they seem to be ignoring me for the most part.

I just removed the whole mess of stuff I put on the screen over the past few days using acetone and lacquer thinner. I was worried I would damage the foil further somehow, but all it did was take off the satin clear coat. I need to try a more conservative filling approach and then give the resurfacing another go.

Also, the surface of the screen was adhered to the shell with double-sided tape, so I just peeled the two halves apart to make it easier to work on. I will actually have to work on re-shaping the plastic somehow on the side that had the big crease as it became distorted from whatever trauma caused the crease.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
donaldk wrote:
Pity you aren't in Europe, I still have an Vutec 120.


It's okay, I'll make this work. I just wish I could get the seller to go ahead and do a partial refund, since the screen was clearly not as described. But they seem to be ignoring me for the most part.

I just removed the whole mess of stuff I put on the screen over the past few days using acetone and lacquer thinner. I was worried I would damage the foil further somehow, but all it did was take off the satin clear coat. I need to try a more conservative filling approach and then give the resurfacing another go.

Also, the surface of the screen was adhered to the shell with double-sided tape, so I just peeled the two halves apart to make it easier to work on. I will actually have to work on re-shaping the plastic somehow on the side that had the big crease as it became distorted from whatever trauma caused the crease.


If you paid by paypal file a complaint.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!


Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jmetal88 wrote:
donaldk wrote:
Pity you aren't in Europe, I still have an Vutec 120.


It's okay, I'll make this work. I just wish I could get the seller to go ahead and do a partial refund, since the screen was clearly not as described. But they seem to be ignoring me for the most part.

I just removed the whole mess of stuff I put on the screen over the past few days using acetone and lacquer thinner. I was worried I would damage the foil further somehow, but all it did was take off the satin clear coat. I need to try a more conservative filling approach and then give the resurfacing another go.

Also, the surface of the screen was adhered to the shell with double-sided tape, so I just peeled the two halves apart to make it easier to work on. I will actually have to work on re-shaping the plastic somehow on the side that had the big crease as it became distorted from whatever trauma caused the crease.


If you paid by paypal file a complaint.


I just did, actually. I always try direct messaging first, but this guy's being too slow and resistant about it.
Back to top
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have hit upon the winning method for resurfacing this thing. Although I may want to strip the entire thing down and do it all over just to make double sure it all matches. But it looks like what I'll want to do is take the clear coat off chemically (I've already found that acetone dissolves it nicely) and fill in the dings with spot putty -- making sure to use just about the bare minimum possible. Then sand everything smooth with no heavier than 220 grit sandpaper, possibly smoothing over with 400 grit before painting. Then, don't apply the silver paint straight over the aluminum, but apply a white automotive lacquer to give a smooth, non porous base coat, and finally after all that is dried and smoothed as much as possible, go over it with the Krylon Silver Foil paint for the reflective finish, and top coat with a clear satin finish for as close as possible to the original diffusing properties of the original clear coat.

It's going to take a long time, especially with the automotive lacquer requiring a 48-hour dry time before it can be sanded, but I think this is probably the method that will give me the best results without distorting the original curve too much. Although I do still need to figure out whether I can do anything to 'unbend' the plastic on the edge that looks like it took a big hit. I can bend it back and hold it in position, but it likes to return back to its 'bent' state as soon as I let go.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good methodology. FYI most primers and paints like a final 320 grit before aplication. Sometimes 400 is a little too fine. Also, consider using a white primer and or a good scratch filler/primer to really even out the surface. Painting is fun.

One thing I like to do in regards to dry time; paint a scrap piece along side your main piece. Use all the same steps. Then you can test sand at the 48 hour mark. That way if you find out the paint wasn'y fully set you won't have ruined your screen.

To get the plastic to stay try a hair dryer. Bend back slightly past where normal is while heating it and add presure as necessary. It should come close to normal.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Good methodology. FYI most primers and paints like a final 320 grit before aplication. Sometimes 400 is a little too fine. Also, consider using a white primer and or a good scratch filler/primer to really even out the surface. Painting is fun.

One thing I like to do in regards to dry time; paint a scrap piece along side your main piece. Use all the same steps. Then you can test sand at the 48 hour mark. That way if you find out the paint wasn'y fully set you won't have ruined your screen.

To get the plastic to stay try a hair dryer. Bend back slightly past where normal is while heating it and add presure as necessary. It should come close to normal.


I did think about using the filler primer, but in my test corner I just tried white lacquer straight over the sanded area and it honestly looks like two coats of that will probably work fine (maybe even just the one depending on how it takes to the sanding).

Although on second thought, filler primer is easier to sand smooth once it is applied, so perhaps I should do filler primer -> white lacquer -> silver paint -> satin clear coat instead. Need to pick up some more filler primer, as I had some from an attempted auto body repair a while back but the can seems to be empty.

Glad to get some advice from someone who's done this type of work before, though. Smile
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive high millage battle tanks for my daily drivers. More than one can of fine automotive paint in a rattle can has been used on them over the years. Also Tremclad/Rustoleum. My current car has a can in the trunk for "touch ups" Laughing

Don't forget to mask the edges before painting and extend the spray 4-6 inches off the edge. Also keep the spray parallel to the surface. When doing a large panel many people tend to make their arm swing like a pendulum resulting in thick center and thin edges.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I drive high millage battle tanks for my daily drivers. More than one can of fine automotive paint in a rattle can has been used on them over the years. Also Tremclad/Rustoleum. My current car has a can in the trunk for "touch ups" Laughing

Don't forget to mask the edges before painting and extend the spray 4-6 inches off the edge. Also keep the spray parallel to the surface. When doing a large panel many people tend to make their arm swing like a pendulum resulting in thick center and thin edges.


I don't think I'll have to mask the edges since the trim just pulls off... I can even separate the screen from the backshell, as they are just stuck together with double-sided tape. But I will probably try to set something up behind the screen to catch the overspray since I will likely end up doing this in my garage, and as you said I will have to spray off the edges to get a fully even coat all the way across.
Back to top
UncleWill



Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 400
Location: WashDC area, ViennaVA


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, sorry to hear that screen was such a disaster.
Back to top
View user's photo album (21 photos)
UncleWill



Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 400
Location: WashDC area, ViennaVA


PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like Wolfsbigbadgarage is just bad Smile
Back to top
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they got eBay to close the case on the technicality that I can't return an "altered item" (ignoring the fact that I don't want to return it, I just want a partial refund). I called eBay to appeal. The rep I spoke to seemed to side with me so hopefully I'll see that refund soon.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
Damn, they got eBay to close the case on the technicality that I can't return an "altered item" (ignoring the fact that I don't want to return it, I just want a partial refund). I called eBay to appeal. The rep I spoke to seemed to side with me so hopefully I'll see that refund soon.


I've gone with partial refunds a few time but sometimes you just have to wash your hands at the whole thing. I did that with a JVC projector a few years back. I asked to have it packed a specific way. He didn't and it got damaged, then blew up. I packed and returned the whole thing. Even though I could have used it for parts. Guy wouldn't budge on a partial refund. Ebay found in my favor, then UPS lost it on the return run. Karma I guess.

Too bad you had already played with the screen. You could have sent it back and started over looking for a new one.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jmetal88 wrote:
Damn, they got eBay to close the case on the technicality that I can't return an "altered item" (ignoring the fact that I don't want to return it, I just want a partial refund). I called eBay to appeal. The rep I spoke to seemed to side with me so hopefully I'll see that refund soon.


I've gone with partial refunds a few time but sometimes you just have to wash your hands at the whole thing. I did that with a JVC projector a few years back. I asked to have it packed a specific way. He didn't and it got damaged, then blew up. I packed and returned the whole thing. Even though I could have used it for parts. Guy wouldn't budge on a partial refund. Ebay found in my favor, then UPS lost it on the return run. Karma I guess.

Too bad you had already played with the screen. You could have sent it back and started over looking for a new one.


Well, it looks like eBay's processing the refund, so I may have lucked out on this one... But in the future I'll be more careful about starting to work on stuff that has a problem if I'm trying to get compensation out of the seller for it.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
jmetal88 wrote:
Damn, they got eBay to close the case on the technicality that I can't return an "altered item" (ignoring the fact that I don't want to return it, I just want a partial refund). I called eBay to appeal. The rep I spoke to seemed to side with me so hopefully I'll see that refund soon.


I've gone with partial refunds a few time but sometimes you just have to wash your hands at the whole thing. I did that with a JVC projector a few years back. I asked to have it packed a specific way. He didn't and it got damaged, then blew up. I packed and returned the whole thing. Even though I could have used it for parts. Guy wouldn't budge on a partial refund. Ebay found in my favor, then UPS lost it on the return run. Karma I guess.

Too bad you had already played with the screen. You could have sent it back and started over looking for a new one.


Well, it looks like eBay's processing the refund, so I may have lucked out on this one... But in the future I'll be more careful about starting to work on stuff that has a problem if I'm trying to get compensation out of the seller for it.


Good to hear.

Yeah, I would have loved to part out that projector and use the parts myself;
but ultimately I paid for a working projector, just serviced by JVC. NOT for a pile of parts.
Got all the money back so all'sgud.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally just decided to have the screen re-painted at an auto body shop. Unfortunately the substrate underneath the foil started to swell during the painting, so the edges are all 'wavy' now. Suprisingly, this still produces a much better picture than when I originally got the screen, and it's not really noticeable unless you have solid colors projecting all the way down the edges. If I had had the budget, I'd have had him resurface the screen with body filler, but all I could afford at the moment was to have him fill in the big dents and give me back an imperfect (although much more usable) screen.
Back to top
UncleWill



Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 400
Location: WashDC area, ViennaVA


PostLink    Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang dude. You really went the extra mile on that thing. Nicely done.
Back to top
View user's photo album (21 photos)
UncleWill



Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 400
Location: WashDC area, ViennaVA


PostLink    Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the TV watching on that setup? Got any pics to share of the setup?

I just picked up a Sony KP-5020
Back to top
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jmetal88



Joined: 06 Apr 2017
Posts: 108



PostLink    Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken any pics of the full setup, but I did try to take a few pics of the screen in use.

The two color pictures are my Sony VPH-1272Q projecting on it. The Gilligan's Island pic is from my Videobeam, although it's not quite properly set up yet (and probably needs a few more capacitors replaced before it even can be, to be honest). So I'm afraid no regular watching on the Videobeam quite yet, but it is getting there as I have time to work on it.



IMG_20180504_222951.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_20180504_222951.jpg
 Filesize:  398.46 KB
 Downloaded:  80 Time(s)


IMG_20180503_191801.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_20180503_191801.jpg
 Filesize:  311.85 KB
 Downloaded:  75 Time(s)


IMG_20180503_182449(1).jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_20180503_182449(1).jpg
 Filesize:  294.84 KB
 Downloaded:  79 Time(s)

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum