Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 error Code 61

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Sony G90 error Code 61 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just sitting with my laptop hooked up to the moome card on my G90 and Pop everything shut down kind of a loud pop as well probably a cap anybody no where it might be board etc.. Forgot to mention error Code 61 displaying

Regards Bob
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power supply?

"61 (orange) Protector POW1 Abnormal in the 200 V line"
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add another imploded green G90 tube to the pile... Just did some checking with Bob, and yes, the green tube is cracked...
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just wow.

Already contacted him about it.

Still got a few green LUGs available. Close to a dozen if I count all the ones that are in complete projectors here.

Might as well count them since I doubt that there's a lot of opportunity to sell complete projectors today.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many hours on the green tube that imploded?

Any correlation with how the tubes are driven eg high CR/brightness settings or failing Dallas chips?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen G90 greens that popped that didn't have any visible wear on them and hardly a trace of back glass yellowing.

It can happen on new tubes or very old ones.

I am positive it's a thermal management issue.

I have the Mikado (current manufacturer) tube specifications, the full document, and there is a defined maximum thermal
dissipation and beam current specification as well as notes on cooling requirements.

I firmly believe that G90s bust tubes so fairly often because they can be run very bright because they stay sharp at higher output
levels than other projectors. People tend to run them as hard as they can as long as the image doesn't get soft.

We have also seen G90s wear tubes faster than other projectors and I'm sure that the two are two sides of the same coin.

If you run a G90 no brighter than you would run a Marquee with the same tube type, I'm sure you'll have no tube breakage issues.

So far, every broken G90 tube I've had to (very carefully) cut out of the mounting frame all shared the same specific characteristic, namely that in every case a break in the tube glass runs directly over at least one of the four metal spacer pins that sets the silicone
bead thickness between the frame and the tube glass. I believe that pin provides a "cold spot" of direct thermal conduction to the frame (aluminum) which creates a focal point for non-uniform thermal stress across the tube face. I believe the tube break begins right there. If I redo any more tubes I'll place plastic spacers in those locations rather than use those metal pins, in order to help attempt to keep the tube face more isothermal across its surface.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I have the Mikado (current manufacturer) tube specifications, the full document, and there is a defined maximum thermal dissipation and beam current specification as well as notes on cooling requirements.

I firmly believe that G90s bust tubes so fairly often because they can be run very bright because they stay sharp at higher output
levels than other projectors. People tend to run them as hard as they can as long as the image doesn't get soft.

I totally agree. That said I have had only one client that has had a G90 pop a green tube after I setup the projector. It was a brand new tube too and he only got a couple hundred hours out of it.

That said, on a typical G90 setup assuming a 96x54 inch StudioTek 130 screen, I usually drive the G90's to around 13 flt. That's still a lot more flt's than you can drive a Marquee to Wink

cmjohnson wrote:
So far, every broken G90 tube I've had to (very carefully) cut out of the mounting frame all shared the same specific characteristic, namely that in every case a break in the tube glass runs directly over at least one of the four metal spacer pins that sets the silicone bead thickness between the frame and the tube glass. I believe that pin provides a "cold spot" of direct thermal conduction to the frame (aluminum) which creates a focal point for non-uniform thermal stress across the tube face. I believe the tube break begins right there. If I redo any more tubes I'll place plastic spacers in those locations rather than use those metal pins, in order to help attempt to keep the tube face more isothermal across its surface.

Interesting theory. I've got a set of Barco spacers that are the same size as the G90 ones but made of clear plastic. Maybe I'll try them in my own set when I retube it soon. I'm almost to 10,000 hours so that's when it will happen... even though a G90 can drive a tube well past 10,000 hours if one chooses to.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: