Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: CRT tube Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I installed new tubes on my 9500 had it up and running. After a week or 2 the Blue tube would start to flicker and then lose output. I swapped out the Green neck card for the Blue and the problem follows. If I shut down the projector and let it sit the tube will function normally for a few minutes and then drop off. Looking at the tube face, it has a ton of noise showing. I can see the overlay of the menu prompt, but the rest of the face is black. I swapped out the HVPS, new neck card, changed signal wires, and reseated all boards. I am stumped and would like to get it running again.

No faults on the LVPS
No faults on the control board
P14 voltage at 6.35 after a good warm up.

MAK
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you swap the blue vnb with the green vnb the problem goes to the green tube?
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it does. This was after a new neck card was sent to me as well.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you disconnected the blue rca cable did you when you swapped neckboards and put the blue rca on the "green" neckboard?
if so it`s the vnb or am i missing something.

if i am missing something you could also swap out the connectors on the cva fgm and hdm to see if this narrows down the problem.

if not its the vim i suppose.

cleaning all connectors on the fgm hdm cva vim and vdm with alcohol and toothbrush might help.

good luck,

dennis

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little additional information, these are not "normal" boards, but my VNB-DB modification boards (modified VIM, VNB and a daughterboard installed on it).
The boards were sent out tested good, and the blue tube held up for some time, then Mark reported the tube would not fire up anymore. So I sent a fourth neckboard with a new daughterboard (also tested, good), after installation it held up 10 minutes or so as Mark reported, then went dim too. Now it seems the board is working only when it is cold, then drops out. The boards seem to be damaged indeed since when putting on other tube the problem follows the VNB.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe the tube has some short that puts excessive load on the cathode or G1 amplifiers on the neck board. For a limited amount of time, the amplifiers will work under these conditions but will ultimately fail. A fail analysis on one of the failed neck boards could reveal this (e.g. shorted or open output stage transistors).
The noise pattern on the tube face reminds me of similar effects visible on tubes with shorts between cathode and filament or cathode and G1...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cheap blue tube for sale. Want to get rid of it. Please pm me.
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While an internal short is possible in any CRT tubes, it's very unlikely. Tap on the neck of the tube to see if you can get the blue tube to act up, but this sounds like an isolated problem with the card. Can you leave a 'good' board on the blue tube, and put a stock original on the green for a couple of weeks to see if you have a problem still?

Is there a chance that the modded board is more prone to static electricity and HV compared to the stock ones? Tim posted long ago about original Marquee boards failing due to normal internal tube arcing, that's what you might have here.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the „sensitivity” of the modified boards could not be ruled out, but on the other hand at least two other forum member using my mods on regular basis for quite while now, and there was no such complain yet.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

Maybe the tube has some short that puts excessive load on the cathode or G1 amplifiers on the neck board. For a limited amount of time, the amplifiers will work under these conditions but will ultimately fail. A fail analysis on one of the failed neck boards could reveal this (e.g. shorted or open output stage transistors).
The noise pattern on the tube face reminds me of similar effects visible on tubes with shorts between cathode and filament or cathode and G1...

Regards,
barclay66

seems the only sensible explanation as the tube has now taken 2 boards out.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small thing about static electricity. I used a wallplug without earth for a while and slowly I started hearing small sparks appear during movies. Back to grounded plug and they disappeared again after a while. Still strange that 'after a while' thing Smile

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Still strange that 'after a while' thing

Hi,

Not at all. Charges on surfaces build up over time (i.e. it needs some time for electrons to accumulate). If the difference in potential between the charged area and it surroundings becomes high enough, it ionizes the medium in between. The spark discharges the area and the process starts over again.
Dust, spark remnants and other substances accumulating on the surfaces will improve ionization and therefore the spark probability will increase.
This is why it's so important keeping areas clean where high voltages are being used...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabor has been very kind in trying to asses the problem. I thought it was a bit odd that the green neck card swap showed no drop out after running on the Blue tube for several hrs straight. All the ground straps were connected accordingly and also ran grounds to the chassis and wires from the neck cage. I looked at the straps on the Bell as well and looked good. I moved on to the Sony 665es.

MAK
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: