Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Reparing a NEC XG 1100
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
gregstv wrote:
There is a set of XGLC tubes on eBay Australia. Shipping would be the only concern.

Thanks! I've placed a bid Wink
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him to remove all the coils from the tubes. This will help with weight and damage.
Did you get a shipping cost?
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried turning on the XG1100 with the PSU of the 1351 and the projector turns on, even the tubes, but after some seconds it turn off again and the 7 segment leds display the error "Fd" which is "when the protection cirtcuit operates for HV Board". There are some switches on the HV Board, does somebody knows what are they for?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switches on the HV board are for limiting the maximal light output.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The situation is like that: as i've mentioned before i've swapped the Power Supply from the XG 135 to the XG 110. The projector turns on for about 15 seconds then it shuts off and dispaly the error "Fd". I don't know if the tubes effectively turns on. I mean there is no image before the power goes off but i hear a high pitched sound, i guess it's from the 15 KHz oscillator.

Anyway i've checked the Splitter and the quadpler (i guess it is called like that the one between the FBTs and the Splitter) and they seem fine. I don't know how to test the FBTs since i dont' have a HV Probe. So i checked the HV Board and it seems fine to me. I've checked the H-Def Transistors, lots of diodes, capacitors and resistors and to me it's seems all fine. The fans turns on so the control circuits are fine. Could it be a problem of protection setting?
I saw two strange pots on the HV Board. I've read that they're used to control the protecion limits of the HV Board. They're sealed. Maybe swapping the Power Supply changed something and now it's overprotected. Or maybe the G2 of the projector is too high and so the protection turns off.
What do you think? Could it be a good idea adjusting those pots?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless you have a HV probe. Those pots are sealed for a reason, as they control the HV and HV shutdown.

It is possible that a tube has imploded, but it's also possible that the HV board is bad. Each HV board is calibrated to the set, and the HV transformer and splitter rarely, if ever, fail. You can't just take another NEC HV board and install it, as it usually will display the same Fd code, since the board isn't calibrated to the rest of the set.

I can repair the HV board for $100 USD plus return shipping, but you'd have to send it to me. Shipping will be about $40-60 USD each way.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oook, i undestrand. Thanks for the info, no offense but i bought the two projectors with the same money you ask. I will not spend it for a bad capacitor or a bad ic that i can found myself with a multimeter, a scope and some patience. Thanks again! Anyway i checked the waveforms and the first one W1 is not displaying correctly. There's only a DC voltage, no sign of a square wave. I've asked info to some friends and it seems the problem could be on UPC494C (IC5501) that doesn't work correctly. I'll try replace that. I'll tell you then if it worked.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the green tube imploded on my XG1100. Man that scared the sh*t outta me! I shut the projector off immediately since I had read about this issue happening once in a while. My tube imploded due to too much pressure in the glycol cooling chamber. I hadn't thought to check that when I was using the XG unfortunately. I did manage to get it up and running though. A new set of tubes and it was working perfect again (well after setting the tube magnetics up and all that fun stuff.)

Hope that isn't the case here!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I remember when the green tube imploded on my XG1100.

I hope it too. was it cracked after the implosion? Was the sound like a "crack" or something like that?

I haven't heard no cracking sound but only sparks due to poor anode insulation.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end i've decided to dissamble the XG110 and try to convert the AC Tubes to LC for the 135LC. Anyway i've managed to use a saw to cut the housing of the AC, in these days i'll try remove it out entirely. The LC Housing was quite simple to remove from the old broken tube. When i hopefully remove the AC housing i'll need advices to seal the new tube to the LC housing, like what silicon should i use and maybe some tips. I will read also the advanced procedure of LC Tube replacement of the Marquee. I'll tell you anyway if i succeed.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

It is hard to tell what the brand/name the silicon glues you have in Italy, but the generic silicon glue like what is used for fishtank (aquarium) glass is OK.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've succeded on removing the housing from the green tube AC. I've also bought some high temperature black silicon. These days i'll test it out on some piece of wood. Do you have anyextra tips to take care when securing the new tube to LC housing? I know i need a syringe for the gliycol transplant and that i should leave a little bubble of air in the tube for the pression problem of these tubes. Something else that could be usefull to know? Thanks
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's all...
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great!
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Still me Wink after a year i ended up with two NEC XGs still for repair. I wanted to repair at least the XG 1351 but i haven't got any Green Tube for it. Searching on the internet i saw a site called Eisemann Theatre which still sells tubes but for Barco's, ECP's and Sony's projectors Someone know where to get one?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless VDC still has some, they have been discontinued. I posted a couple of months ago about throwing out the last of my NEC XG stuff, and no one responded, so it all got thrown out, sorry. I have one last XG1100 here that is complete. I can check the green tube to see what shape it is in before I throw it out on Sunday, Figure on $50 per tube plus shipping if it's good.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Unless VDC still has some, they have been discontinued. I posted a couple of months ago about throwing out the last of my NEC XG stuff, and no one responded, so it all got thrown out, sorry. I have one last XG1100 here that is complete. I can check the green tube to see what shape it is in before I throw it out on Sunday, Figure on $50 per tube plus shipping if it's good.

Ok, to me it's ok. I know of the NEC XG Stuff you thrown out some months ago. anyway i pm you. thanks for the support!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the PM, I hope to get to it tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: