Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

improving g90 alignment

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nj89

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: improving g90 alignment Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've got my g90 on the ceiling at this point, and this weekend I ran through a full alignment. After having completed this, I have a number of questions.

Questions:

1) Schiempflug.

I followed some advice I found online that I think originated from Guy Kuo. I deliberately defocused the electron beam, and then displayed a solid pattern and worked to image the phosphor grain onto the projector screen. I was very successful with the green, but found the red and blue phosphor grain was not perfectly imaged across the whole screen. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this unavoidable? I think this is occurring because the red and blue lens are not perfectly centered L/R with respect to the screen. Thoughts?

2) Electronic focusing.

Displayed a dot pattern, and set the 2 pole (H and V) so that the central dot does not translate left/right or up/down as I adjust electronic focus. Then I set the 4 pole so that the dot looks maximally symmetric/circular as I adjust electronic focus, and then the same for the 6 pole. My problem with this method, and it is especially pronounced for the 6 pole, is that there seems to be a huge parameter range where the defocused dot looks very circular. For the 6 pole I'd say everything looks the same to my eye for at least a full quarter of the range (full range is nominally 0 to 256). I feel like I am not making the most of this adjust. Are there better methods?

3) Electronic focusing off of center.

There were four adjustments per off center position, and I had no idea what they were doing... I'd scan the full adjustment range without being able to discern ANY change in the dot pattern. Is there a systematic way of going about setting these values?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the focusing around the outside edges, yes, they have less effect than the centre adjustment, but they should still have some effect. Is the contrast at 100%? That's how you'll see it the most.

Second, use the 'EM' focus test pattern. It's much easier to see blurring than using the dots or crosshatch.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defocus OPTICALLY when adjusting scheimpflug. I adjust so that the width of the defocused grid bars is equal. Then refocus.

I have found that to be a highly successful technique.

Also, do scheimpflug with 4:3 aspect ratio source material and actually the wider and taller the image is, before it runs off the
edges of the CRT, the easier it is to properly adjust scheimpflug as well as every other outer zone adjustment.
nj89

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! Thanks for the tips.

Curt - I had been using dots - will switch to the EM focus pattern and see if I can make better use of the adjustments/detect any change in the outside adjusts. Also, I think contrast was turned way down, maybe minimum, when doing the EM focus. Will try with max contrast.

cmjohnson - I will try the optically defocused schiempflug adjust. I'll try on green and see if the phosphor grain ends up being imaged automatically. If so, I'd say the technique is better, if not, it's probably not as good (but perhaps faster?). And yes, I have been adjusting using an almost full raster, and then squeezing the vertical down to achieve 16:9.

Will report back once I've tried all this stuff out.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that you get much better results at max contrast. Just don't leave the test patterns up on the screen for hours on end, in fact I wouldn't work on one tube for more than 20 minutes at a time. Switch to a different tube, then go back. That gives the phosphor time to recover, preventing burn-in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: