Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony vph -v20m fault.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wardy91

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sony vph -v20m fault. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys

Crt projector newbie here. Now I know that these projectors aren’t a highly desirable/ popular unit but I don’t plan on using it as a high end video unit. It’s being setup in the games room to be used with the next Nintendo’s and such.

I got a second set delivered Friday from the other side of Australia and when it arrived it won’t run. It powers up and sits on standby fine. Once the power button is pressed it powers up for maybe a second and then dies. I have a second set that runs and I have been systematically working through the boards to find the dead one. So far I’ve had no joy. Is there something simple I have overlooked?

Cheers

Last edited by Wardy91 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

While I can't help with the issue, I'm assuming the projector in question is a Sony VPH-20M? Just want to make sure the right people see this...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Wardy91

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

While I can't help with the issue, I'm assuming the projector in question is a Sony VPH-20M? Just want to make sure the right people see this...

Kal

Hi Kal,

Yes correct on the model.

Chris
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, don't waste your time on that set. Something is sending it into protect mode, or the power supply could be bad.

This is a video only set, and while it was about $7000 USD when new, it cannot do HD, and is therefore worthless. I threw all my parts out for those sets about 5 years ago due to no demand. If you sell the first one, give the second one away as a spare parts unit with it.
Wardy91

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Frankly, don't waste your time on that set. Something is sending it into protect mode, or the power supply could be bad.

This is a video only set, and while it was about $7000 USD when new, it cannot do HD, and is therefore worthless. I threw all my parts out for those sets about 5 years ago due to no demand. If you sell the first one, give the second one away as a spare parts unit with it.

Hi curt,

I was aware of the limitations of the unit before I purchased and I wasn’t overly concerned about the lack of HD capabilities. It won’t be used for any movies tv only the old pre 2000’s gaming consoles. I have other gear to cover the HD viewing. I’ve checked the power supply and a few other boards from the running unit but none of those have sorted it.

I was looking for a better unit initially but they seem quite hard to find here in Aus especially on the west side where I am.

Cheers
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they were the last 7" CRT that Sony made in that series, so not many were sold. Any overload in the chassis will trigger the power supply shotdown, even an imploded/cracked tube will do it.
Wardy91

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I believe they were the last 7" CRT that Sony made in that series, so not many were sold. Any overload in the chassis will trigger the power supply shotdown, even an imploded/cracked tube will do it.

Thanks curt I’ll have a bit more of a look over it there’s only 2 boards left that I haven’t tested in the running unit so I may start looking at the tubes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: