Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 1209 with new Moome Barco-FULLHD card no image

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Barco 1209 with new Moome Barco-FULLHD card no image Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been working on this for a few days. I have used multiple configurations and the results are the same, Projector reports no signal on Port 3.

Configuration #1 Macbook Pro set to 720p (tried 1080 as well) through HDMI cable to Moome input directly. Moome is recognized by MBP and best setting is chosen. Moome input port chosen by external switch which moves through the 4 inputs when pressed.

Configurations #2 MBP > Denon Audio Video amp via HDMI > HDMI splitter (that does not pass HDCP) > Moome input

Configuration #3 MBP > Denon > HDMI splitter > Lumagen Vision HDP (DVI in) > DVI out > Moome (HDMI) Port 3 selected
> RGBHV > Port 5 selected (to check signal)

Note that in all cases, I am using Input port 2 to the Lumagen whose refresh rates are the ones normally used with the regular Port 3 card.

One anomaly is that while I do my Moome port choices using the switch on the dongle and it seems to switch both based on the movement of the indicator LEDs AND as I mentioned, the MBP recognizing Moome as the destination, when I try using the remote those LEDs do not change. The remote is outputting something as the Barco COM board LEDs flash. I think I tried both with and without pressing "enter". The Moome card clearly is powered although I did not put the Barco plastic board holder in, it is seated well.

So, I am wondering if there is a problem with the new Moome card.

UPDATE: The remote has zero effect on what port the Moome is watching. Only the clicker on the dongle changes it. I just checked using configuration #1 and the MBP did not change from "Moome" to anything else when I switched the remote to other inputs (HDMI on Moome)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the following:

- you need a source with at least 50 or 60Hz
- sync must be negative negative

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Please check the following:

- you need a source with at least 50 or 60Hz
- sync must be negative negative

ElTopo

I have tried multiple sources. Please note from the original post.

- Lumagen DVI output checked at ~60Hz Vertical - no know method of checking or changing sync polarity - no signal detected.
- Direct from MacBook Pro - 720P and 1080P - frame rate not given but selected optimal for Moome (which was detected)

REMOTE CONTROL DOES NOT CONTROL INPUTS....is that not an indication of a board failure?

LEDs on board are different from LEDs in manual in color and number. This is the state of the LEDs as shown in the photo.

Without Moome I can run Port 5 from RGBHV and from Port 3 I can run RGBHV as well.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 8.09.44 AM.png
 Description:
This is from the manual
 Filesize:  386.74 KB
 Viewed:  15332 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 8.09.44 AM.png

IMG_6425.jpg
 Description:
The state of the LEDs, note number and color are different from manual.
 Filesize:  340.44 KB
 Viewed:  15332 Time(s)

IMG_6425.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Barry:
when you use the HDMI remote controller,
you need aim to the control kit, and turn the H- V- LED light up refer the manual step.
Barry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moome wrote:
Hello, Barry:
when you use the HDMI remote controller,
you need aim to the control kit, and turn the H- V- LED light up refer the manual step.

The projector IR port is adjacent to the dongle (assume that is the control kit) so it also sees the IR from the remote and the red LEDs on the projector control card react when I press the remote button so I know it is sending something for sure.

The MacBook pro is communicating and recognizing the Moome card when input 1 is selected using the switch on the dongle. When using the remote to change inputs there is no click and the moome input port does not change.

As for the V- and H- controls, I tried hitting "D" on the remote and like before the projector saw a signal but the control unit did not seem to react.

I tried holding the remote an inch from the dongle and change inputs and got no reaction.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.41.45 AM.png
 Description:
NOTE: IR port for projector in in the lower right below the dongle. Normally I an about 3' away and both should be getting IR signal.
 Filesize:  438.1 KB
 Viewed:  15320 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.41.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.33.07 AM.png
 Description:
MacBook Pro when on input 1 shows it recognizes and communicating with Moome card.
 Filesize:  439.75 KB
 Viewed:  15320 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 10.33.07 AM.png

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mom sent me a whole new card setup.
I got the new card today. Unlike the first one this one does respond with beeps and allows me to select sync polarity. (Yeah!)
I was able to get an image both directly from my Macbook Pro and from the Lumagen.(DVI output)
The Macbook pro image was clear but lacked dynamic range. It was very flat. I bought my Lumagen because I wanted the dynamic range.
With the MacBook pro plugged into the card directly, and allowing the EDID apparent choices of the Moome card, I got a usable picture but as I said it was very flat. If I adjusted the projector brightness to have a viewable image, the black levels were very poor. If I set it so black levels were good, there was almost no image.(DARK)
I tried using the gamma and it beeped sporadically but seemed to produce no result or obvious changes.
I tried the A , B and C buttons and while they made some difference, it was not significant.

When I connected the Lumagen DVI output to the Moome card, the image was not very usable. It had bands on it that I used to see if choosing a refresh rate for the projector that was too high. I chose 1080P which the projector saw as 67kHz Horizontal.
I tried 1080i and 720p all with strange results. I can take pics if needed.

In the meantime, my Lumagen has lost its red analog output so this card could save the day...but it seems there are mountains to climb. Anyone get the Lumagen to play with the Moome?

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
The Macbook pro image was clear but lacked dynamic range. It was very flat. I bought my Lumagen because I wanted the dynamic range. With the MacBook pro plugged into the card directly, and allowing the EDID apparent choices of the Moome card, I got a usable picture but as I said it was very flat. If I adjusted the projector brightness to have a viewable image, the black levels were very poor. If I set it so black levels were good, there was almost no image.(DARK)

I can answer the above...

You need to calibrate and use the proper black and white levels in the projector based on the source you are using.

Signals from a source like a Blu-ray player, PC, Macbook and so forth are either 16-235 or 0-255. Neither is better or worse. There’s no right or wrong way - they just need to match up with how the display is set up. The display has to be set up to match the source. What you need to do is re-adjust your brightness/contrast in the projector to match what your source is doing. Proper calibration will do this for you. Otherwise the image will appear clipped, with less dynamic range like you mentioned. Check out my Greyscale and Colour Calibration guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

The Moome card adds an HDMI input to your projector. Setting up and calibrating your signal chain for proper image quality really has nothing to do with the Moome card, but how to properly set up a home theater signal chain from start to end. This is true even with the newest digital displays, it's not a CRT thing. Choose a range in your sources, stick to the same for all sources, then calibrate your display to match.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Barry

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the whole idea of getting a better picture from the Moome was to add features / clarity using the Moome, it is probably useless to try to debug the problem using the MAC and getting a flat image. First, I bought my Lumagen HDP to eliminate a flat picture and second, I already tried improving eh picture and the ONLY 2 variables I am aware of modifying are Brightness and Contrast on the Barco. It produced no solution.

So lets get to the real problem....using the Lumagen Vision HDP with the Moome and getting a BETTER picture than going analog directly into the Port 3 input.

I go through horizontal sync polarity issue with the new Moome card (first was clearly defective). As I stated I first tried and got an image using the MacBook Pro HDMI output directly. I then switched to the Lumagen Vision HDP as shown:

MBP-HDMI > Denon AV Amp > Distribution Amp/ Stripper > Lumagen Vision HDP > DVI Out > Moome Port 1 input. (Lumagen set to 1080P, Horiz is about 60Hz)

The only change form what I usually use is that I no longer go RGBHV > Barco Port 3

I do get my image but it had horizontal bars and color shift to magenta (see pic)
I played with the Horizontal Phase and was able to get rid of the bars but not the color issue. (see pic)

IMG_6463.jpg
 Description:
After adjusting Horizontal shift.

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6463.jpg
 Filesize:  312.34 KB
 Downloaded:  669 Time(s)

IMG_6461.jpg
 Description:
This was before adjusting Horizontal phase

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6461.jpg
 Filesize:  403.88 KB
 Downloaded:  658 Time(s)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try a different color space on the Lumagen.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's not a flat image, that's a completely incorrect image (wrong colour space). It's pink.

Kal

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it was color space mismatch. The Lumagen is set for RGB444 and the Moome was not. I suspect I flipped through the color space options when debugging my lost picture and left it on the wrong one. I can see the colors are back and just need to wait for dark tonight to further adjust. Thanks guys!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it was something simple!

Kal

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a pleasure to help Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still running through the adjustments to get the Moome to work with the LumagenHDP and MacBook Pro. After endless playing with the projector (Barco 1209) Contrast and Brightness along with the more flexible controls in the Lumagen I have reasonable picture for movies. It still needs some work getting it to sparkle more. Interestingly, when displaying the Mac screen there is a lot of white crush when movies seem optimized. I am not sure why that is as it did not show that what went driven by Lumagen analog stages.

A second issue I noticed I would normally attribute to compression artifacts. In some dimly lit spaces there is and odd flattening of the image and color that one does not see on the computer screen. Am attaching both pics. Look at the neck area and side burns. One had reddish blotching, the other has normal details. If is much more obvious in person. No adjustments I could find would affect this. Any ideas?

IMG_6465.jpg
 Description:
This is same but from MacBook Screen

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6465.jpg
 Filesize:  335.65 KB
 Downloaded:  627 Time(s)

IMG_6464.jpg
 Description:
Picture on the screen, not red blotches lacking detail on the side burns and neck

Download
 Filename:  IMG_6464.jpg
 Filesize:  432.57 KB
 Downloaded:  632 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: