Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony Blu Ray

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobNelson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Sony Blu Ray Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony Blu Ray player that is pretty old. It has started having problems playing discs. I bought a new Sony and it displays nothing on the screen. I thought the new player was bad. I have a similar setup with a new Sony in the bedroom. I put the new Sony in the bedroom and it works. I brought the Sony that was in the bedroom and installed it in the living room. Still no display. I got out the old Sony that I was going to dump and hooked it up. It shows a display.

The long and the short of it is. The old Sony that I am going to dump displays a menu. The two new Sony players will not display anything.

Is there something wrong with my HDMI cable going to the receiver? Sad

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming the display in the living room that none of the other Blu-ray players work on is your 9500LC CRT projector?

Make sure to set any Blu-ray player to not output 24Hz to use it with a CRT projector. That would be why the Blu-ray players you've never tried on the CRT projector both work on your bedroom TV (it's probably a flat panel digital TV?) and not on the Marquee 9500LC.

If that's not the issue, please let us know how things are hooked up with actual make/model numbers of displays, like so:

XYZ Blu-ray player -> HDMI cable -> XYZ receiver -> HDMI cable -> XYZ display with XYZ HDMI card (Moome?)

And what works/what doesn't. It's hard to follow when you only mention where things are located and not what the actual equipment is (we're not in your house so we don't know what you're using). Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal is most likely correct. I have found that my newest Sony BDP had to be set up NOT to output 24 FPS, which
will put a Marquee into video muting.

I confirmed this was happening when I connected the player to one of my G90s, which WILL display 24 FPS but I would not
describe the resultant picture as being particularly watchable.
BobNelson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Blu Ray Reply with quote

Well, I had a hunch that it was the cable. When there is no input the Yamaha receiver displays a Yamaha piano. And this is what it did. I went the Walmart and bought a GE 6ft. cable and now everything works. The old cable was pretty old. I thought HDMI was HDMI, but the high speed HDMI cable did the trick.

Thank you guys for your reply. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Blu Ray Reply with quote

After thinking about it, I remember reading that short cables can cause "handshake" issues. The old one was a heck of a lot shorter than the new one. That also could have been the problem. Very Happy
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct - in many cases you need a 6-10 foot minimum. Glad you figured it out!

Kal

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what? I've used short cables between sources and AVR and AVR and projectors with no problems. Maybe it is because I am using cheap HDMI cables (Monoprice)?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's just luck of the draw really. Some devices do not like short cables. It's a crapshoot, but the first thing to check.

Case in point, I have this behind my screen in the basement:

That short 1 foot HDMI cable at the bottom of the picture between the Automatic HDMI switcher and the HDMI Splitter was causing me grief. About 10% of the time when switching I'd get no picture out of the HDMI splitter. Pain in the butt as I'd have to cycle again until it worked. I replaced the cable with a 10-12 foot HDMI cable and it was ok for years.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: