Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

getting sony g90 to display 1080P

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njhajj

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: getting sony g90 to display 1080P Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all,

New to the sony g90, and am trying to switch over from 720P to 1080P. Using a Moome v3 HDMI card. I've tried a couple of different devices - a Surface tablet and an Xbox 360. When displaying 720P, everything looks normal (both devices), but when I switch to 1080P, there are bright and dark bands that appear in the image. For instance, when displaying 1080P through the Xbox 360, there is a bright and flickery band which appears near the top of the image on the green display, and a dark band which appears near the middle of the blue display. If I change the color settings on the Xbox, I can make the location of the artifacts change, but not go away.

On a totally separate note, I now have the projector mounted on my ceiling - is there a setting in the menus to invert the image?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go into the service menu, and into the sync page. take every setting.. clamp, sync, etc out of 'auto' mode, and those bars will go away.

At the top of the internal keypad, there is a plastic cover held down by a Philips screw. Power down *and unplug). switch the little white switch to the other position, and then switch the H switch (large black plastic sliding thing) as well.

Also, change the Dallas chip if you don't know how old it is. that's on the Ya board. If that fails while the set is running (dead internal battery), you'll nuke the tubes (spot burn).

I've got the Dallas chips in stock.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I sold that set to him. Kind of interesting that he's getting the banding problem, I set that up so it won't happen,
at least with a blu-ray source.

Definitely, get that Dallas chip done SOON. I recommend sending the old one and a new one to someone who can copy the old one to
the new one so you keep all your settings.

You do NOT want that chip to fail, especially if the PJ is on at the time.
njhajj

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I am definitely interested in buying the chip. Does something need to be copied over for the Dallas chip to function at all, or can I just swap a blank chip in? Now that the projector is in its final position, I will be realigning from scratch anyway...

And adjusting the clamp setting from "Auto" to "H/C" seemed to do the trick! cmjohnson did sell me the set, and, I believe the setting was probably undone when I deleted all the memory slots above 12 some time ago.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you did a reset/delete you probably lost the sync settings. I don't let a PJ get out of my hands until I've seen it run and throw
a perfect picture and I ran it through several full movies.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the old Dallas chip copied to the new one. That preserves all the fiddly little settings that can take HOURS to restore and that also saves such things as your serial number.

It'll work with a new blank chip but you just made your setup enormously more difficult. Because you'll have to realign EVERYTHING from scratch. Trust me, you will not enjoy that in the slightest.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree on the setting part. I know of nothing that will be wiped that isn't readily re-adjustable. Even if you preset focusing and astig and color gains before you sold the set, they are easy to redo.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a matter of taking so much time to do them all. It's hours of work, and more hours for every additional memory to set up.

I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and have Craig copy the old one to the new one and not have to worry about it.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found though that the focus and astig varies by the install due to the earth;'s magnetic field. Many times I've done a preset at the shop, got to the client's house, and it's off. The color balance is also going to shift depending on the source and tube condition, so sure, I get your point, but I don't see the problem in doing a full scratch setup. Either way works though.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His tubes are minty, absolutely no visible wear on them at all, so that part is definiitely good.

Anyway, whether you choose to spring for the Dallas chip copy or just settle for a blank new one,
either way it needs doing and sooner is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: