Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Thinking of finally replacing JVC RS2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Thinking of finally replacing JVC RS2 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've got a 7 year old RS2 that is getting close to needing a new bulb, so I've finally started thinking about getting a new projector.

Given the age of my RS2 I really haven't kept up with things on the forums. Is AVScience still a good source for B-Stock projectors?

Any other suggestions for good sources to buy from?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny isn't it when it's more economical to get a new projector than a new bulb?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not quite economical, but I get the point Smile

Frankly I have been 100% happy with my RS2, but have been tempted by the special AV Science has on the RS400.

I've been able to fight the urge to upgrade for quite awhile and in the end will probably decide there really isn't anything compelling me to get something new. Also spending $450 sounds a lot better than $3K!

In the end I tend to be a cheap @$$ SOB Wink
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketfoot wrote:
Well it's not quite economical, but I get the point Smile

Frankly I have been 100% happy with my RS2, but have been tempted by the special AV Science has on the RS400.

$3K's a pretty good deal considering its' what you usually pay for last years model on e-bay and you don't really know what you're getting, B-stock - factory refurb, etc.

Still, if I had $3K I just had to spend, and made a list of things I would buy, I don't think a new PJ would even make top 5? even if you consider you might get $500. for your old one, that's still $2K more out of pocket than just a bulb. For that kind of money it would need ot include a CinemaScope lens or other fancy doo-dad.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
$3K's a pretty good deal considering its' what you usually pay for last years model on e-bay and you don't really know what you're getting, B-stock - factory refurb, etc.

Still, if I had $3K I just had to spend, and made a list of things I would buy, I don't think a new PJ would even make top 5? even if you consider you might get $500. for your old one, that's still $2K more out of pocket than just a bulb. For that kind of money it would need ot include a CinemaScope lens or other fancy doo-dad.

I tend to get tempted at bonus time, but in the end there really isn't anything compelling me to upgrade. So I'll just have to decided whether I spend the extra $$$ for a true JVC replacement bulb or look at one of the budget options.

From what I've read they can be hit or miss, so I'll probably just go the OEM route.

Even if I did upgrade, I'd hang on to the RS2 to have as a backup.
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have a friend with a hd900?950? My x900 is noticeably superior. Far better contrast, less "digital" due to the quasi 4k. I think you'd be happy with an upgrade...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An upgrade to a rs400/420 is a huge upgrade.
Markrcis

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is yours ceiling mounted?

If so please heck my post on ceiling mounting an RS2
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you considering buying a B-stock RS you might want to email AVS sales and ask them for a price on the current entry level RS projector. AVS usually gets very good pricing on this model and I'm betting it is under US$3K. I think this will be more of the case now that the cheapest Sony 4K is only US$5K MSRP.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RS2 has 5700 hours in it still going strong. I have replaced the bulb 3 times. An excellent machine for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: