Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Throwing this out there.. dirt cheap BArco 909s!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's my understanding that the problem with the quads is that the components in them break down over time at the high operating voltage.

I don't know if it's actual voltage related failure or if it's a secondary effect that leads to the failure.

The voltage quadrupler itself is really a ladder network of a few capacitors and a few resistors and the whole affair is potted
for safety and to exclude any moisture from the circuit. Of course it must function as a VERY good insulator.

I wonder if the potting compound used might possibly be insufficiently water-resistant. Perhaps it slowly absorbs moisture
from the air and starts to cause breakdown.

If I had a dead quad to investigate, I just might attempt to rebuild one for an experiment.

I think that the potting is the critical part of the operation. Use the wrong compound and the rebuilt assembly will fail.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it seems the kit is not very time resistant but also the electrolytic caps used have chemicals that tend to get worse with time. If you use them the wrong way around they wil explode as electrolysis starts making hydrogen gass that explodes the cap.

So you have to reformat old electrlolytic caps slowly. But the kit issue is more troublesome. I buy old quads from 808's

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in the older style quads in almost every 909 I sell. I don't buy that recapping any other board incl the EHT will save quadruplers, the problem is inherent to the potting compound, probably absorbing moisture over time like Chris says. I did notice that the newer quads' potting compound stays soft over time, the older quads harden up.
I have a ton of the older style quads, probably 20-30 of them, tested and working, so there's no shortage of supply.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt,

is your price with shipping or without?

-Andy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding, right? WITHOUT! (local pickup is free).
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should mention that I may also be able to help out with the lenses if they are needed. If Curt runs out,
I have a few sets I could probably bear to part with. But Curt gets all sales first!

I have HD-10Ls (3M type), GT17s, and Fs. At least. But I am keeping both sets of my treasured Elcan-made VDC HD10Ls.
justin_f

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a Barco tech that the 909/919/CineMax & Cine 9 quads often fail prematurely because the wires coming out the back get squashed when fitting them.

The tech stated in the past Barco put silicon on them, but not in the later ones... if you put tape and make sure all yellow, white and black wires are not squashed, the quad should last a long time... (his exact words, not sure where you put the tape).

This tech stated he did this to the late model quads and had one last as long as 17,000 hours.

I havent had a look at my quads to see what he is talking about, but theres merit in this. I noticed the quads in my 909s are from another model Barco set and the wires come straight out and not flush like the later model quads? The quads I have fitted in my 909s cannot sit flush and have a long wire coming out of them.

Regards,

Justin.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

I wonder if the potting compound used might possibly be insufficiently water-resistant. Perhaps it slowly absorbs moisture
from the air and starts to cause breakdown.

When I was at Barco training in California some years back, while the training was on digital projectors, I asked about the 909 and its quad problem, and was told that problem was the potting material used
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I might suggest that it could be worthwhile to coat the exposed surfaces of the potting compound with something that is itself a highly effective moisture barrier. Perhaps certain epoxies, or epoxy paint.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are things going with this possible mass purchase of 909s?

If anybody's thinking of getting one from Curt and then, if need be, getting tubes for it from me, I'd like to have some advance notice so I can get my ducks in a row.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, given the lack of committed people, they will end up going to the recycler. It won't happen for a couple of months yet, so I may do a emailer to see if any of the 15K people on the mailing list are interested. No sense in spending $3K on shipping alone, let alone the purchase price and customs for them to sit here for the next 5 years..
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's start a Save the 909s topic!

And if that fails, clue me in on where these units are. Maybe I'll just be NUTS enough to bid on them but not against you.
Reddman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for purchasing one and I'm fine with waiting several months for one as I'm currently in the process of moving.I hope others are willing to take advantage of this great opportunity.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I already said above, I have two chassis here with worn tubes ready to ship, I'd just need to box them up and test run them for 24 hours before shipping. Let me know when you're ready. The next 2 months are going to be hell with sound installations anyway, so the less I have on my plate the better. Smile

I still have two 909s here that I need to retube and sell as full working sets to boot.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saving my shekels to pay for that, believe me. I'll let you know as soon as I've reached that point.

But, in any event, if you decide not to pursue this lot of 909s, clue me in on where they are because I just might be
crazy enough to go for the lot.
Pokemon640

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

If I had a dead quad to investigate, I just might attempt to rebuild one for an experiment.
i had a broken quad for research purposes. But i was angry and i messed up. I broke the connections between capacitors. I Will do this again with better tools.
The most expensive part is the capacitors. High voltage - high precision (Ceramic) capacitors could be 50-60 € each (you need 7 of these !). Resistor and diodes is cheap but the total cost is damn high (near 400 €). Oh, i forgot the most important : You have to seal and test it. Evil or Very Mad i will do this sometime.

Epoxy resin is more difficult. You need specific chemicals, gas mask and patience to dig this circuit.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon640 wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:

i had a broken quad for research purposes. But i was angry and i messed up. I broke the connections between capacitors. I Will do this again with better tools.
The most expensive part is the capacitors. High voltage - high precision (Ceramic) capacitors could be 50-60 € each (you need 7 of these !). Resistor and diodes is cheap but the total cost is damn high (near 400 €). Oh, i forgot the most important : You have to seal and test it. Evil or Very Mad i will do this sometime.

Epoxy resin is more difficult. You need specific chemicals, gas mask and patience to dig this circuit.

The caps you don't need to replace. It's the diodes that go bad, and you would need to replace them with something better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: