Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new JVC digital projector (DLA-X75R/DLA-RS56)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Oh ya, that's crucial. That's why proper color filtering is so important -- otherwise the gamut of the projector doesn't match the standard.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I think the size of the gamut is not as important as it is to have the gamut of the display match the gamut of the source so color reproduction is accurate.

You would be correct, and this is why my opinion is what it is. When the studios inevitably hit rec 2020, that will leave a lot of people who were suckered in by "futureproofing" with HDR in the dust, because their devices technically won't be able to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like we did with HD. We'll see "HDR" and then "Full HDR" when the rec 2020 devices come out. Very Happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking again. Might be able to score a local RS45 for a good price. I haven't heard anything bad about that projector so I think I'm gonna jump on it. Anything I should be cautious or aware of?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Looking again. Might be able to score a local RS45 for a good price. I haven't heard anything bad about that projector so I think I'm gonna jump on it. Anything I should be cautious or aware of?

The only thing I've seen that is "common" to JVC projectors when it comes to issues; the ballasts seem to fail in them (not that model specifically, just the RS PJ's in general). Otherwise, they're fairly solid machines. I think you'd be happy with the performance from it as long as it stays working Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only complaint I've seen specific to RS-45 is that the lamps dim pretty quickly after 1000 hours of usage. But I don't know how true this is. I would imagine that if you do some looking around you could probably find the bare bulbs for not too much.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if ballasts can be bought from JVC? I haven't got a clue..
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "jvc projector ballast" turns up lots of possibilities, including
https://encompass.com/item/10154451/JVC/QAL1305-001/Ballast_Pwb
http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=964TDO8072-778

The second one works for the RS-50, 55, 60, 65, and others. But it also works for X-series projectors, including the X30, which I think is the same as the RS-45. I'm not sure why JVC has two equivalent lines with different model numbers.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Gary, maybe I missed this earlier but what are you using now? I was honestly thinking about picking up an RS-1, of all things for our theater room. They should be inexpensive enough.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an 8500 that has never worked right. RS1's are pretty cheap bit that's an older generation. RS45 is plenty old too, but the made a lot of improvements around then. I don't know how the RS1 compares.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I still have an 8500 that has never worked right. RS1's are pretty cheap bit that's an older generation. RS45 is plenty old too, but the made a lot of improvements around then. I don't know how the RS1 compares.

Gotcha. To clarify - I'm not suggesting you get an RS-1. My reasons for wanting one (at least I think I do! Very Happy) are my own. My living situation is changing. We're moving in with my in-laws to help care for a terminally ill member of our family. There will be lots of kids, so having a cheaper RS-1 would be better in the case that something happens to it. Very Happy I won't feel so bad about it being damaged versus an RS-56 or something like that. And their image quality is still above and beyond any entry-level DLP or LCD.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, an RS-1 should be significantly better than that.

Well I've just cut a deal for an RS-45 WITH SPARE NEW BULB, ceiling mount plate, 3D emitter & 2 pr glasses, original packing, etc -- for $850.

Pretty hard to turn that down. Very Happy
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad deal. You should get plenty of use out of it.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Take pics! Smile Put it on the screenshot thread and lie about it not being a CRT. Very Happy
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do it for a while. I'm out of town for a couple more weeks. Then I have to clear out the HT -- it was about the only place I could stack stuff when I was remodeling the rest of the house. You'd have trouble seeing the screen from the seats the way it is now!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back a few days ago, cleared out enough junk to see the screen, and did a quick setup.

And damn, that thing kicks my 8500's patootie. Which you would hope, considering the 8500 never worked right, but it's nice to finally have a great image in there!!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal - and congratulations!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the RS-45 Gary!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange problem with my RS-45:

I plugged in a cheap BR player, and it worked fine -- until it started sending 1080p24. Then the projector appeared to stretch the image vertically about 2x, so things that should have been in the center of the screen were at the bottom, and the bottom-half content wrapped around and overlaid the top-half content.

I got a better player and plugged it into the other HDMI input, and that worked OK. At first I thought it was the player, but then I swapped players / inputs, and it turns out both players fail on HDMI1. Both work on HDMI2.

I asked the previous owner if he knew of any oddness with HDMI1, and he was confused -- he said all he EVER used was HDMI1, and he never had a problem.

Any guesses what might cause this, and guesses if it is a simple fix? It's not fatal, because I only need one input, but it would be nice to have a "spare" in case HDMI2 died...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any internal scaling settings on the projector Gary? Sub menus perhapse?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats me, since I don't know what you're looking for. The only mention of "scale" is talking about video scale (bright/dark).

You can look at the manual here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_6515.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: