Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Stymingersfink's Basement Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Stymingersfink's Basement Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am in the process of designing my new house which will include a HT in the basement. I am doing the design and construction on my own, and I have the experience for at least the construction part. As far as the design of the HT part is concerned... well, I'm gonna need some help. Also in this basement is a brewery and in the process of working on that design I came across Kal and he pointed me here. So, here are a few different views of my plan. I laid out the dimensions of the room according to the golden ratio and laid out the speakers according to Dolby's setup guide. That is about the limit of my ability to get it figured out on my own. Kal has given me a bunch of help on a different forum, but I would like to get some advice from here too.

The PDF is a view of the whole basement, and here are a few closeups of the HT.

This one has the reference lines I used to layout the angles for speaker placement.

Here is a view without the overlay.

I am in the process of figuring out where to put the equipment, and I want to refine the speaker locations. I will probably build it in stages due to budget. I will start out smallish and work up from there. I want to be sure that I preinstall all the wire that I will need to "future proof" the room as much as possible.

Right now I am looking at Klipcsh speakers, but this is an area that I don't know much about, so any tips would be appreciated. I am open to any advice that you might have for me, and thank you all in advance for your help!

New Basement.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  New Basement.pdf
 Filesize:  29.27 KB
 Downloaded:  579 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone’s curious about what’s already been discussed, take a look here:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31152

You may want to start a build thread over at avsforum.com as well. They get a lot more traffic in their build forum.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I came up with an idea of where to put the HT equipment.

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
If anyone’s curious about what’s already been discussed, take a look here:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31152

You may want to start a build thread over at avsforum.com as well. They get a lot more traffic in their build forum.

Good luck!

Kal

Will do. Thanks again Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifcally their dedicated HT construction area: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php#/forums/19m

Careful to not fall down the rabbit hole on this one (unless you want to) - opinions are varied based on how ‘serious’ you want to go.

Kal

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Careful to not fall down the rabbit hole on this one (unless you want to) - opinions are varied based on how ‘serious’ you want to go.

I will keep that in mind. As is the case on most forums, there are some that are very passionate about their opinions. Though we haven't met, you struck me as a fairly level headed and pragmatic kind of guy. So, if there is anything that I can't make sense of, I might request your vetting skills.

Cheers.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, post pics of your setup. I think it's very attractive but I think it's probably very reasonably priced.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CJ - pics are available through the link in my signature. I don’t consider my setup a dedicated HT as it’s completely open, and I understand the limitations (mostly audio related).

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stymingersfink wrote:
As is the case on most forums, there are some that are very passionate about their opinions. Though we haven't met, you struck me as a fairly level headed and pragmatic kind of guy. So, if there is anything that I can't make sense of, I might request your vetting skills.

Not a problem! Post a link here to your thread at AVS if you don’t mind, and I’m sure many will follow along.

Kal

Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my a link to my thread at AVS if anyone is interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2921542-stymingersfink-s-ht-design-build-project.html
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't given a budget for anything. Do you want to do everything yourself? What are you going to watch/listen to in the HT? A lot of that has bearing on recommendations.

For instance if you were mostly interested in movies and DIY, then I would suggest diysoundgroup. You could have a pretty good system for a reasonable price.

Also, I don't think he has been around in awhile, but try to contact Steve Crabb(ecrabb). He lives in south Salt Lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: